Author Topic: Curing wood  (Read 916 times)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
Curing wood
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
I want to stop a couple of pieces of pine from cracking as it cures. Will painting both ends keep it from splitting. Do I need to remove the bark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Nice matters

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: Curing wood
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:03:46 PM »
Bark off, Light coat of Wax on ends, reduces checking to season most wood. 

You prolly gonna get 7 ways from Sunday.
G'luck!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:18:55 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
10/4 on the wax.....I dunk the ends in cheap melted parrafin.  Works for me. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
Plus 2 for removing bark and waxing ends.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:15:38 PM »
Are you talking about in the round, or split or boards?

If it's round branch or log with pith keeping it from splitting can be hit or miss if you don't take extra precautions to slow drying process. I think the guys are spot on wax is the best way to seal the ends. That will certainly slow things down, but you might need to still bury the pieces in sawdust or coat the long grain, not fully waxed but substantially. Depends on how important the pieces are, how much risk, time, effort.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
Thank you to everyone for their replies, waxed both ends and am storing it in the coldest room in the house.
Nice matters

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
for my bow wood,
if I split, I debark and coat the ends and back (bark side) with shellac or Elmer's glue.
if I leave in log form just coat the ends. you can have bug eggs in the bark and they will eat away on your curing wood. safest to debark, & seal. I've had better luck split and quarter, leaving the belly uncoated to dry out slow.
good luck   
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:16:53 AM »
Wax is the way indeed.
When I harvest a burl or nice piece of wood that I want to save for later, I poor some melted candle wax on the open sides.
So far never had any issue's after treating it this way.

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:09 PM »
i have a bit of cherry 2x12 and larger better get started on that wax coating,

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
2 x 12 boards? Hmm feeling jealous.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 06:16:33 AM »
unknown i should have been ore spesific what  ment was 2,in diax12inches long. branches.
2x12 boards i wish,lol

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
What are you guys making with your branches, rounds?
The cherry ive used has all been bark on, because that's the cool part. Drying that stuff really made me feel like an ace of branch drying. Very few splits, and the things I made have lasted for many years. Knife handles, hammer handles, shaving brush handles, cups - all still going 10 or more years later.

Whereas, alot of the maple( and couple other types) I gathered last year for spoons and bowls got away from me with checks and splits. They weren't waxed but sealed with heavy coats of III wood glue. Which is how I sealed the cherry. None of this recent stuff has been high value, must save material. Just extra that I didn't get to while green.

Down through the years, here and there, I've picked up a few chunks of high value turning squares, resawns of exotic wood, all fully waxed. Lignum vitae, ebony, etc. stuff that is notorious for checking. After a few years laying around I decided it might be a good idea to scrape some of the wax off, and thin it out on the face. I leave it on the end grain, remove it completely along the length in strips and thin the rest of the coating. Completely covered in 1/8" of paraffin lignum might never actually stabilize to the environment, since the stuff is supposed to be truly impermeable to liquid and water vapor.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »
apparently this is another option:

Can't vouch for it though. Never tried it.
 G'luck!

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
You'd think he'd have remembered to put stickers between those boards to cut down on the warpage. :P  :shrug:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »

You'd think he'd have remembered to put stickers between those boards to cut down on the warpage. :P :shrug:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they were just taken off & stacked when he decided to show them.
:shrug:

Btw, I call those spacers, "sleepers". ;-)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Mostly, I just call 'em 'little sticks.'  ;D

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »
Dunnage lingo I'm sure is regional to some extent; however, sleepers are those spacers used to keep the materials off the ground. Stickers are the spacers that keep seperate individual layers.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 12:24:29 AM »
Yup. Regional lingo is all over the world. Since ya happened to bring it up...

Just for example, Sled, ahkio, pulk, etc.. depending on the location, all basically mean the same thing. So, with them layers ya make when stacking things, & the sticks ya put between them,  I can vouch for my area, at least the carpenters though, that we call them , "sleepers". I have been in construction around here since the late 70's, (except for 6 years in the Corps.) & never heard anyone call them "stickers". Always "sleepers", from the ground up.

Just to fill ya in on why I think that is, is fairly easy to understand, if ya go about it right...

We do use the word "stickers" around here for a couple of things. Sometimes labels that stick on things. like for selling items in stores,and flea markets... Kids of all ages over the years have collected them to put on book folders, sometimes they even came in Cracker Jack boxes, IIRC... even the car/truck salesmen use "stickers" to sell their cars... & let us not forget the other type of "stickers" , which I usually call "hitch hikers" that live and grow out along the woods & in fields & sometimes to the detriment & frustration of gardeners or homeowners everywhere around here, that come off of various types of Thistles. ( although there is one insidious mean plant that has these mini hitchhikers that are the most annoying lil B-tards to get rid of. Particularly in dogs hair that is long....) Burdock is notorious for having "stickers" , but they are pretty large. easy to pull for the most part, most of the time. But sometimes they leave the doggone lil seed thingies stuck to ya & they are a b=itch.. But, gotta mention,  that your Bull, Cow & Milk thistles, just to mention a few more, have plenty of mean "stickers" also...

Man o man, we have all kinds of "stickers" around here...All kinds...

So anyway, around here, and in at least this part of the country, ya got to be mighty specific about your use of the word "stickers", or you could have the whole area up in arms about what you are talking about..... Men arguing, women upset & worried & children running around crying.. But, ya won't confuse anyone into thinking "stickers" is the "sleepers" that hold stuff off the ground or sit in between boards & other materials for air drying... nope, ya sure wont..... Not even the people sleeping would be called "sleepers" if they figured you were talking about those spacers we call "sleepers" around here... No sirree Bob....

Although, it comes to mind that when ya mention "stickers" you gotta pronounce it right...Since we do have a little minnow like fish that we get sometimes in our minnow buckets & traps that we don't use for fishing that has sticklers all up and down its body & we like to call them "sticklers" or their real name, "sticklebacks".

So if a feller had a chaw of tobacco in, or was trying to talk when eating, or maybe a kid with some bubble gum candy was talking to ya, ya might get confused & think that they were saying "sticklers" instead of "stickers", but of course if you were fishing or talking about fishing, which can happen anytime day or night, instead of standing around, or looking at where something needed to be stacked, you would think right off that the person was saying, "sticklers" instead of "stickers". But of course, if the fishing was good while you talking about it & were catching so many fish that ya might have to "stack em up!". Well then, you might get some of the folks around here a bit confused for a minute thinking you weren't saying "sticklers" & since "stickers" would not apply, because they stick to things, they would likely think you were talking about "sleepers" to put between the layers of the fish you were catching or had caught.... Not the people that might be asleep, but the sticks ya put in between wood that needs drying & that sort of thing...

There is a variant of the word "stickler" used around here, that can only really be used in the context of someone who has to be picky about things, and it really isn't related to the "stickler" minnow like fish. It is used in a sentence like, "Ya better get them sleepers in that stack real evenly layed out, cuz the boss is a real "stickler" about that." Now the folks doing the stacking would know right off that the person warning them wasn't talking about fishing & the "stickler" that sometimes get into minnow buckets & traps... Of course not. But if the one talking had a chaw in, or the like, might cause a bit of confusion for a short while. But I think I already kinda went into that before... No reason to repeat it, right? But, seriously, around here, People can be "sticklers" too. But it is more about being something" like "nit picky", not the little minnow fish.. Really... they can be "sticklers" around here on occasion....

Now, while I was thinking about it here...it occurs to me to mention that those "sticklers", the little minnow ones, don't really ever seem to catch any fish, so we generally cull them out as useless. I suppose a feller might want to save them up for some reason, but around here we don't.

This all could be just a regional thing possibly, but I don't really want to get into that too far tonite. This post is long enough now about that... I will save it for later on, OK?

Anyway, I could probably elaborate about this for a bit longer but I am getting tired of typing & it is after 1 AM in the morning. So,I might have to go join the rest of my family who happen to be "sleepers" right now... not to be confused with those sticks that go between boards & such , ya know...

Ya.. You betcha...

Oh, and By the way...

What was this topic about?
 ;)

P.S. - Moe M.? Ya still with me? Just pulling my own weight here, don't cha know... ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:34:12 AM by MnSportsman »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 12:31:08 AM »
I nominate that post as the most magnificent diatribe in the history of this forum! :hail:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 12:37:53 AM »
I nominate that post as the most magnificent diatribe in the history of this forum! :hail:

;) It was a pleasure. :cheers:

BTW...Took me a minute though, Wolfy, but I remembered the topic..

Curing wood.. Yeah that's it.. That be the topic.
LOL :rofl:

Have a nice night! :)

P.S. - Sober as the day I was born, too. In case anyone was wondering...LOL
 :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 12:44:44 AM »
Yeah, I could tell you were sober...probably another reason it was so magnificent. :thumbsup:

Insomnia sucks doesn't it?  :cheers::tent:

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
Caused me to look at the definition of sticker,, used dictionary dot com. There are are few other uses for sticker, but none were for stick spacers.

I think you have solved it for me though. Must have been that chaw you mentioned JB. I reckon now they were being called stackers. The wad of chewing tobacco kept getting in the way until the word was handed down as stickers.

I first heard of dunnage, which was 3x3 or a little bigger, long pieces used to seperate stacks of steel building parts: columns, beams, joists and such. A very few times I've heard such and similar things called cribbage.

Yeah, that was a top notch rant. I don't fish with live bait much, for all I know we have sticklers too, but have never heard of them. We do have stickers in the fields and woods, and even in some backyards. And we have stickers too, around here even grown men like them and slap them on their vehicles, to advertise their good taste in various products, I suppose.

I've heard we might have some sleeper cells around here, somewhere out in the most rural areas. Those being only sleepers I know of, are ones I don't know of. Sleepers to me, are vertical props placed under floor joists, meant to be a little less than structural bearing members.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »
Oregon state link: Bunkers that's a new one on me. Aka- sleepers.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 01:22:07 AM »
LOL @ Wolfy.  :stir:

Maybe the loggers & millers use that term. If I run into one at the store or something, I will ask them. ( And I am prepared for that "look" ya get when asking someone something and they give ya the "Huh?" look.)  LOL ;)

Like I said...I literally have never heard that term "sticker" used around here in my life for those "sleepers". That includes working light commercial/residential construction since mid 1970s.

Unknown,
Around here we do use the term, "bunk" for when we "pile" up lumber. As in, "Go bunk up those 2x4s , Joe! They are all scattered.". BTW, another term I did not mention in the other post that we use in construction for "sleeper", that is close to what you described in a recent post, is 2 pieces of dimensional lumber ( 2x4/2x6/etc.) fastened to one another lengthwise at 90 deg. angle and set across truss chords, rafters, joists,etc., to bring them all into the same plane, if they are not "crowned" (bowed) in the same direction. ( from age sag, or because some dolt messed up in laying them out right ;) ).  So there is some more trivial stuff to know... LOL ;)  And another "situational use" for a word to have more than one meaning(ambigous).

I know that around here there are a lot of names for things here, that do not match to other parts of the country or world, but I am not gonna list them now. The sled/ahkio/pulk/etc. was just one...
Another example is pitchpine/lighterwood/fatlighter/fatwood/etc.

Must be a regional thing, eh? LOL
 ;)

BTW everyone... IDGAS anyway.  Call things what ya like... LMAO
 :taunt: :rofl:

:cheers:

This is funny & it does go along with curing wood.... slightly... Have at it!
 ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:33:09 AM by MnSportsman »

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 02:35:22 AM »
This is a fun thread. Thanks for the good material.

When I was typing I was thinking of rafter sleepers but just couldn't remember - I've taken more out than put in.

Regional lingo might make a good thread, after all we say bushcraft... umm err... bushlore even though that is not a term most in the US used until somewhat recently. Words, where they come from, what they mean is an interesting thing.  Carpentry and construction talk is often even better than philosophy and politics and religion but sometimes just as contentious only not so serious

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »
OK, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a STICKLER when it comes to word usage.  :lol:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »
It is stickers in the area I am from. 

Where I live at present it is pitchpine.  Never heard it called any of the other terms.  I have heard of fatwood which has no relationship to pitchpine in weight, hardness, or use.

What is strange is that I am one State west of JB. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »
It is stickers in the area I am from. 

Where I live at present it is pitchpine.  Never heard it called any of the other terms.  I have heard of fatwood which has no relationship to pitchpine in weight, hardness, or use.

What is strange is that I am one State west of JB.
I too know it as pitchpine, one of my first memories of camping with my dad was him pointing out pitchwood. We were told as kids, to build a fire around an old pinion stump if we were ever lost. They burn with lots of dark smoke.
Nice matters