Author Topic: Couple of Flashlights  (Read 971 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Couple of Flashlights
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »
I've been wanting to get a few new small flashlights for the vehicles and to keep in the house for a good while now.  I started doing some looking and had it narrowed down to 2:  the Olight S2 and the Fenix PD32 2016.  It so happened that I ran across some good deals for new, in the box ones on ebay for both and ended up with 3 of the Olight (one for each vehicle) and 2 of the Fenix.  They are similar in output and function except that the Fenix has an on/off tail switch with a side button for the various output levels while the Olight has only the side switch for on/off and the output levels.  Both have pocket clips.  Both will tail stand.  Both remember the last output level you were on when you turn them on and both use either 2 CR123 batteries or 1 18650.  Both have low battery warnings.  Rather than go through a long, drawn out (and typing intensive) review, I'm just going to add some links to the product pages, links to some youtube vids/reviews, add a few pics, and give you what I like/don't like about each.

Fenix PD32 2016

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd32-led-flashlight-2016-edt/

Olight S2

https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/s2-baton.html

Some pics

This pic makes the flashlights look like they're hanging over the edge of the cutting board.  They are not.  They are exactly even with it and the end of the tape.

The objective/lens on both.

Comparing the 2 lights, I think I like the Olight better overall although there are things about it that I didn't like.  I removed the tail cap battery because these lights will be kept in the consoles of the cars.  Too much stuff in there that is magnetic that I didn't want to have to scrape off/pull off when I need the light.  I preferred the extra 1 1/4 inch length of the Fenix., but I'm not a fan of tail switches.  I do like that they both have side switches for the various modes, but the Olight side switch is a little harder to find than the Fenix.  I may put a dab of hot glue on either side of the switch.  The Fenix came with a pouch, but the Olight did not.  I would have liked for it to have had one.

Guess that's about it.  I really don't think you could go wrong with either light. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:03:39 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Couple of Flashlights
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »
I have a couple of flashlights that I keep in the vehicles.  The Fenix you purchased is a really good light from what I see here and I might have purchased one had I looked around a bit more.  I have three 125 Lumen flashlights that are adequate for changing a tire or pitching a tent if you have someone holding it.  My house flashlight is a older Surefire that uses rechargeable batteries that are no longer made but I have four and they are doing okay.  The Surefire came from a LEO I know and has been a good light.  It holds a charge for a long time. 

Your lights are much better designs and 900 lumens for an hour plus is really something.  Thanks for posting this. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:47:53 AM »
Thanks!  There are so many choices nowadays.  I appreciate the reviews.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
Appreciate the info. Very enlightening! I've been using a Fenix LD20 for several years now. Has served me well.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
just a thought you ma wish to carry one on your person and secure.
incase you ever get in a accident at night.
i learned that the hard way.  rolled the little red death trap over in -50below at night.
my flaslight too was in the tray between the seats, just saying.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
just a thought you ma wish to carry one on your person and secure.
incase you ever get in a accident at night.
i learned that the hard way.  rolled the little red death trap over in -50below at night.
my flaslight too was in the tray between the seats, just saying.
Got one in the left hip pocket of my bibs 24/7 :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »
If I roll over in a death trap at 50 below I will die before I find the light regardless of which pocket it is in.   :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
the lil'red death trap was a 07 chey aveo
was on my back from souix falls,sd.