Author Topic: Great Charred Cloth  (Read 432 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Great Charred Cloth
« on: January 29, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
Hayshaker sent me a package recently and one of the surprises in it was some of his char cloth. I want to thank him first of all. Second I hope he'll chime in and share his material and method with us.

Nice fluffy stuff.

Takes a spark like crazy.

Hit this with a ferro.

I was at a point where I was going to need to make me some more. I appreciate him lifting that weight off me.

:fire1:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
Re: Great Charred Cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:25:36 AM »
I use 100% cotton terrycloth.  The style of weave catches sparks like mad.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:53 AM »

I just can't figure out what it might have been from the picture,  but what works best for me is a any loose fiber 100% cotton material,  Denim is iffy,  it's dense and some contain just enough "other" material in the cloth to make it a poor material for charring.
  The same holds true for Tee shirt material,  it's getting harder to find 100% cotton anything today that is truly 100% cotton,  lately I've been using mostly punk wood for charring material,  it's easier to make than Char cloth and you  can keep feeding the tin with scraps of punk wood when it get low and it will char itself every time you use the tin to start a fire.
 My go to char material started out life as a fishnet hammock made out of 100% cotton rope,  it's a very loose weave and makes the absolute best char I've ever used,  my wife bought the hammock for me about 25 years ago, it hung outside for a couple of years and it got pretty frayed looking,  I was going to throw it out with the trash but decided to try charring a little of it, and it works great,  the hammock is about eight feet long and five feet wide,  I've been working off of it for over twenty years and only used up about a third of it.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:53:37 PM »
looks like a dish towel in its previous incarnation

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
not a dish towel but a bath towel in fact they do make a heavy duty extra fluffy towel.
but t's 17'00 ouch so i wl if can remember too try to find on thats smaller but fluffy.
thanks for posting tht creek, i'm glad it worked out too.