Author Topic: pup split nail?  (Read 2727 times)

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
pup split nail?
« on: January 29, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
We hiked about an hour Saturday morning. Julia came in the house limping. I didn't notice any limp in the woods. No idea how she did this. I've never seen this with any of my dogs.

Any ideas on whether it will heal without a vets assistance?

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: pup split nail?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
Peroxide that bad boy often. Probably be ok. I'd give it 48 hours unless it get worse. My big Doberman ripprd a nail slam off and it heal/grew back with out an issue. I did work to keep it very clean..

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 03:47:29 PM »
Owww.  Gotta hurt.  I agree to clean and disinfect for a day or two.  If you don't see improvement... vet.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »
I have done the peroxide. I have a vet wrap that sticks to itself like an ace bandage. I'm thinking a plastic bag and a wrap. Maybe a little gauze on the pad to keep that toe elevated so she doesn't walk on it.

My wife just mentioned we have blue coat. I'll spray that o there in another day. It seals them up pretty good. Need to make sure there's no infection first. It's not warm to the touch and there's no puss.

I'm going to give her a little Honey. it'll help with infection.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
I bet she'll be just fine. Cranky... but fine.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
Happened to Duke the Choc. lab, last year. He's 9 or 10. I took off the loose part of the nail, since his had split & tore, then put neosporin on it, then gauze & duct tape for a day, then took off the gauze and I wiped it off & used Nu-skin Sp?( like a Superglue for people cuts) on it & let dry, then kept an eye on it. He did try to mess with it, but stopped when I told him to cut it out. After a day or so, I repeated the coating. It partly fell off & grew out eventually & has not happened since. It was a surprise to me when it happened as I have had dogs all my life but never had this happen.

G'luck with whatever ya do/try.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
Clean well and careful super glue  kinda what I was thinking.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »
That can happen on rough terrain from rocks, or even on flat concrete when the toenails are too long.
My go-to treatment for animal wounds is veterinarian strength iodine.  Not the watered down stuff for people. Most farm supply places carry it.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:00:29 AM »
That's a good idea. I need to have her tote a pack with first aid supplies now. She runs full bore the whole time she's out there. I'm actually surprised she hasn't skewered herself yet.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
That's a good idea. I need to have her tote a pack with first aid supplies now. She runs full bore the whole time she's out there. I'm actually surprised she hasn't skewered herself yet.
My patrol dog tore a dewclaw clean off climbing a ladder after a bad guy. I poured the Industrial Strength iodine over the wound, wrapped it in gauze over night, and never looked back. Healed up just fine.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »
xj you mentioned a plastic bag for cover? don't do it
you want the wound to breathe.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:14:57 AM »
Just for outside duties my friend., to keep it clean. It's healing nicely but she's going to limp for some time I think.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 03:40:36 AM »
My Banjo is more accepting of foot probing than many cannines. A vet always approaches the examination with caution - that's how I know most dogs don't like it, we have talked about it.

So you already have a sensitive area. Just imagine a sliver jammed under your nail, or other damage there yeow! , ever have one of those?
Hard to imagine any wrapping without some way to prevent the animal from tearing it off, like one of those cone collars- doubling the frustration. What breed is Julia?

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 04:14:05 AM »
Definitely some peroxide and antibiotic ointment. If you have any tegaderm that would help as well. Liquid bandage can work wonders also. I've had a couple of my dogs do that to their nails and using the treatment described above they healed up nicely.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:30 AM »
I am with ya Pete. That liquid bandage /Nu skin stuff is pretty good! Your description sounded a lot like mine on what I did. Pete, when you used this method on one of your dogs, where did ya get the info for the method?  The way I found out about this method was, I talked to a vet & a couple of dog groomers to get the info I used before I did anything. I did use, but forgot to mention some cornstarch as a "styptic" and some pressure for a while to stop the bleeding, although it wasn't too bad at the time. Then made some phone calls to find out more on what was the best to do. All were helpful & the vet told me that if it was still a problem I could always bring Duke in. But, it worked for me ( & Duke) anyway.
 :)

Just an aside, about checking your dog for things, I started with Duke & all my dogs by laying on them to show dominance & then checking all parts of their bodies back when they were puppies. Then continued to do that off & on for the rest of their lives. They get used to it pretty quick & it makes it easier to check on problems they may come across & they learn to trust that you are not going to hurt them, even if they are hurting already. A good example is many a time I have had dogs get something like a stick or a chunk of something caught up in their palate & they are running around gagging & pawing at their face trying to get relief. But once I approach & get ahold of them and talk to them they calm down & let me remove the problem object. It also works when they get into something that wraps them up or when they get cut on barb wire, to get them to calm down & let ya work on them to fix things... Just something to think about for those who didn't know, anyway... Worked for me over the years...

BTW, If xj35s decides to use a different method, or whatever method... then I would like to hear updates on what is done & how it works out.
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
I was told the nu skin burns, like super glue. I haven't put anything on her foot. We got 4 inches of snow so there is less chance of infection from dirt/mud. It has a good scab through that crack. It seems the nail is holding together okay. It's tender and she limps but she will run full bore to potty,and back up the steps. You can't slow this dog down. For the record, she runs at 30 mph along side my motorcycle or truck the full width of my property.

Julia is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, an African Lion hunting breed. How fast does a lion run?

She is very good about me handling her. I can inspect her teeth and her feet. I can look between her toes. I can clean her ears. She's a real sweetheart.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
She is very good about me handling her. I can inspect her teeth and her feet. I can look between her toes. I can clean her ears. She's a real sweetheart.

I dated a girl like that once.......didn't work out. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
Lol@wolfy.

I think a lion can run 29 ;D. I love those RRidgebacks.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »

Wolfy you were looking for love in all the wrong places.   :-*
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 09:58:55 PM »
Wound like that I use Sulfa powder...something like this stuff.......I got a plastic bottle of it ...like a mustard bottle...from my vet....
That wound I would squeeze some on the wound and use that self stick wrap tape(?) to get through the day..
Like this stuff...
http://www.shopwoundcare.com/p-23-3m-coban-self-adherent-wrap.html

Carry it in my doggie FAK for hunting dogs.

Cat tails, weeds, corn stalk leaves, barbed wire fences tears up, around eyes, feet, legs chest.....and nails take a beating.

http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/api-triple-sulfa-powder-packets-10ct.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAiMHEBRC034nx2ImB1J0BEiQA-r7ctjt7-8t4WPIf_N2fz8i_cCqv1NaCquwlH2I5aeOKlDUaAhXk8P8HAQ

Have had the whole nail ripped off.....a few times.....
They do better than you do.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »

Where did it go wrong?  Was it the teeth, or the toes?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »

Nah, she was easy to look at, too, but hard-mouthed and wouldn't stop barking!  :'(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »

Nah, she was easy to look at, too, but hard-mouthed and wouldn't stop barking!  :'(
I had a girlfriend like that once, too. Couldn't get her to take a bit....

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 05:32:03 PM »
If it were my dog, I would clean the wound up with a non-greasy antiseptic like bactine or something with a little lidocaine in it to help it hurt less, then wrap it with unwaxed dental floss to close the crack, then apply super glue over the floss to form a splint.

But it might require an preventative antibiotic from the vet.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »
I thought about that using cotton thread. I was afraid of sealing in any infection.

I noticed a smell and was afraid of gangrene setting in. It was swelling and forcing the crack to open further.

The vet cleaned up all the loose nail and the quick is exposed on the out side half of the nail. It's wrapped very well with a lot of gauze and then a plastic wrap. Also have a plastic glove with a gauze drawstring for holding it on.

$75 I thought was cheap. I was thinking they'd keep her overnight with antibiotics. Doc said no infection at all. Goes back Monday to check healing and whether more nail needs to come off. She got trimmed with just some lidocaine cream. They were very impressed with how good she was. Kept still for them and they trimmed all her nails too.

Despite the tongue in cheek bestiality references, I do truly love this dog. Always by my side. Good as gold. She's 6 now. Maybe 6 more years to enjoy woods bumming but I'm going to make the most of it. She's getting a PFD this year so she can go canoeing with me.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Despite the tongue in cheek bestiality references, I do truly love this dog. Always by my side. Good as gold. She's 6 now. Maybe 6 more years to enjoy woods bumming but I'm going to make the most of it. She's getting a PFD this year so she can go canoeing with me.
Glad you got her checked out. What breed is she, again? I fergit, if I ever knew.
My co-worker's German shepherd was still working as a patrol dog at 14. I lost my buddy at age 17 to cancer that came on in just a couple of months.  I have an x-breed right now who is 10, and thinks she's 4. Still chases her own tail.   ???
Live long, and prosper, Julia.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »
I thought about that using cotton thread. I was afraid of sealing in any infection.

I noticed a smell and was afraid of gangrene setting in. It was swelling and forcing the crack to open further.

The vet cleaned up all the loose nail and the quick is exposed on the out side half of the nail. It's wrapped very well with a lot of gauze and then a plastic wrap. Also have a plastic glove with a gauze drawstring for holding it on.

$75 I thought was cheap. I was thinking they'd keep her overnight with antibiotics. Doc said no infection at all. Goes back Monday to check healing and whether more nail needs to come off. She got trimmed with just some lidocaine cream. They were very impressed with how good she was. Kept still for them and they trimmed all her nails too.

Glad to hear that there wasn't any infection. :thumbsup:

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »
I was told the nu skin burns, like super glue. I haven't put anything on her foot. We got 4 inches of snow so there is less chance of infection from dirt/mud. It has a good scab through that crack. It seems the nail is holding together okay. It's tender and she limps but she will run full bore to potty,and back up the steps. You can't slow this dog down. For the record, she runs at 30 mph along side my motorcycle or truck the full width of my property.

Julia is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, an African Lion hunting breed. How fast does a lion run?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »

Ah, yeah. Pardon my senior moment.
I visited some folks on Vancouver Is. a number of years ago who had a Lion Hound.  He would kick back in front of their wood stove, and let their 2 year old grandson use him as a trampoline.  Nothing phased that dog...until a stranger came to visit.  They couldn't get out of their car without permission. Hahaha.
I was told he was 18 years old at the time.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 03:38:17 AM »
That is really good news. Honestly she doesn't show her age any more than when we first got her. Very energetic. Vet scale say's 73 pounds though. should be around 55. I guess we both need to get out back more!

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
Glad the pup is healing. Mn, oddly enough the information came from a close friend of mine who has hunting dogs but is also a paramedic. One thing that can help with the burn of the liquid bandage is ironically enough is orajel. It numbs it a bit. For a tight initial wrap you can use coban to keep it snug and it resists water quite well
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
glad to hear things are working out ok.
btw, good thing it's winter with the snow
less chance for infection.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 10:36:01 PM »
If it's not too much trouble, how about a pic of the healing process? Going to the vet Thursday. Probably going to be ashamed when I see in accurate digital readout of just how chubby the dingo has become.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
glad to hear things are working out ok.
btw, good thing it's winter with the snow
less chance for infection.

Yes! That's the main reason I put off taking her to the vet, But then it started to open more and had a smell.

I will get a new picture Monday when the bandage comes off. We had a Dingo on the first farm I worked on. She went out with us two days in a row to bring the cows in the barn for morning feeding. She knew to do that on her own after that. If the barn door opened she was on her way to get behind them. Very good dog all around.

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »
The vets bandage lasted until late Saturday afternoon. Got home from my sisters and the bandage was everywhere. I re bandaged it without thinking of a new picture. So today is vet day and I untied my bandage to check it before going to the vets this afternoon.

I think it my need a little more trimming. I'll let him decide. Still no infection.

I realize my first aid supplies are severely under stocked. I loaded up at walmart on gauze, wrap, and tape.

WOW! I need to vacuum! This is along the couch where they always lay.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 01:27:58 PM »
Looks better, at least not so fresh and wet. Still looks mighty tender. Get well soon lil ridgeback