Author Topic: Cheap Mans Fallers belt kit  (Read 1727 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Cheap Mans Fallers belt kit
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:40 AM »
So I wanted to keep my tools handy on me when I'm doing tree work but I didn't want to drop $40-50 to get a wedge pouch and a quick access axe scabbard.  If I was a pro then sure.  But I'm not.  So I set out to see what would make do and came up with the following.  All these items I already had on hand so it cost me nothing to put together.  Most of this stuff you probably have as well, and if not these items are cheap and readily available in any area I would think.

Wedge pouch -   I was looking for something that could work and then thought a wedge and an AR mag are pretty close in size.  And it was close enough.  This is a single mag pouch and I can fit two 8 in. wedges inside it.  It's snug but works fine and they are securely in there.  I did have to retie the bungee cord to be single lined to extend it enough to reach over the wedges. The molle webbing worked great to hold your scrench.  You could hang a fallers tape from it was well and probably carry a file too.

Next up I wanted one of those quick access axe scabbards that holds your axe upright on your backside.  They looked handy so started looking for something I could make one out of.  I didn't have a leather piece big enough for one and I didn't know if leather would be rigid enough to hold the shape well to keep the axe where you want it.  So started looking for something plastic that would be hard enough to hold a shape and strong enough the axe wouldn't easily pierce it. Then I saw one of my empty 5qt oil jugs.  And here we go...

Looks like it will be a tight squeeze on my Council pack axe.  I'm hoping to get it to fit as this axe is a great fallers buddy.

I decided to try and heat the plastic to bend it out a bit and see if the clearance will work for the pack axe.  I'll roll the dice and see what happens.

Well I didn't have any mini bolts small enough so I again looked at what I had and decided to go with some small zip ties.  I drilled small holes and lashed em up.

the bottom of this jug did have ridges that added a lot of stability to the bottom.  Especially when overlapped a bit.

well it was just too small for the pack axe.  I'll do another one later for it.

So went and got my slightly smaller Plumb Cedar half axe and it fit fine.  It's just under 19" and the head is 1.75lb.  It should work great too. 

the kit!

cut out a couple belt slits

now for your modeling pics in the garage shop runway...

Well it turned out pretty good and works as intended.  Cost nothing, also weighs nothing.  Well I learned a bit for the next one I'll make.  First off I made it backwards.  The scabbards I've seen the axe handle is on your strong arm side, I flipped this one for lefty.  This still works easy though.  I don't think it will bother me that bad.  I'm interested to see how will the zip ties hold up.  I'll throw a couple extra in my tool kit I keep in the truck just in case.  As for the next one I'm thinking an old storage bin might make a good candidate.  We shall see.

So I would call this one a win.  I got my weekend warrior fallers kit for a bargain.

Hope you liked it!  Thanks for looking!

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
Re: Cheap Mans Fallers belt kit
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
Brilliant, very creative.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »
Terrific ideas, OE!  I love these 'recycling/repurposing' ideas.....beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Agreed.  Nice job on those items and the guard is particularly useful for me to think about as I don't have one at the moment.  Thanks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
Thank you guys!  I thought this had a "wolfy approved" feel to it when I was posting the thread.  haha.  There's another goofy but useful project build I did a week ago I need to post sometime too. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
:thumbsup:
Batman, eat yer heart out! Hahaha
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
If that Plumb cedar don't work out for ya let me know. I might have something I could help you trade up.  :chopwood: You won't get mad if I tell ya it ain't very pretty will ya. I see the genius in the design. Function over form should always be paramount.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:06:52 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 06:35:41 AM »
Thanks guys!

If that Plumb cedar don't work out for ya let me know. I might have something I could help you trade up.  :chopwood: You won't get mad if I tell ya it ain't very pretty will ya. I see the genius in the design. Function over form should always be paramount.

Creek

I'm pretty fond of that Plumb.  It's probably my favorite if I really had to pick one I just seem to like the most cause I like it.  Yeah that scabbard won't win a beauty contest but the green is growing on me.  I needed one quick for this weekend as I'll be helping take out a massive elm tree with my BIL and wanted to use one.  I'll be making a larger one big enough for the pack axe and a boy's axe.  I'll update when I get that one done.  It should be better. 

Chop on   :choptree: 

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
I'm onboard with all the other opinions. Creatively cool. I was wondering what you'd stitch it together with- perfect.

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with after somefield testing R&D. The stripe grain on your handle is nifty.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »
Advanced Durability  :chopwood:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »
Necessity is the mother of...
Son-of-a-gun that was neat.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 06:41:00 AM »
Well I made up the next one and it turned just as I wanted.  I used a plastic storage bin this time.  This one holds up to a full size axe

Here it is with the Council Pack axe

Now with the Boys Axe

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 10:43:32 AM »
Neat concept!

I would try stitching with strong cordage like an inner paracord strand, rather than the zip ties. I have had the small zip ties break under heavy use (depending on the brand and age of them).

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:45:21 AM »
Yet another solution just came to mind. Pop rivets. Of course you'd have to use the burrs, backers, washer like doodads- sometimes hard to find in the right size and often hard to even recall the correct terminology there of.

I always look at the pics before reading. First thought was- he done used kydex.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
There was an axe sheath? :shrug:   I was admiring the nicely displayed pair of vintage Vise-Grips! :drool:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »
LOL wolfy!  You guys notice the funniest stuff in pics.  Did you notice the old masonry/rock hammer?  That's Jack's we just picked up a couple weekends ago and rehung it for him.  He's pretty proud and ready to bust open some rocks!  haha

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that rock hammer, too......I'll bet ol' Andy Dufresne would have even traded his Raquel Welch poster for one that nice! :drool:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 05:14:56 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that rock hammer, too......I'll bet ol' Andy Dufresne would have even traded his Raquel Welch poster for one that nice! :drool:

LOL!  I believe you would be right.  Great movie!

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
Looks good. What is your belt. Please forgive me for not going back and reading if you have posted it already.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
Looks good. What is your belt. Please forgive me for not going back and reading if you have posted it already.

Creek

It's just a cheap leather 2" one.  I think I got it at either Harbor Freight or Home Depot. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
Great movie and a great King book. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)