Author Topic: Favorite Knives  (Read 736 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Favorite Knives
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
 Confessions of a Gear junkie (me),  I've carefully weaned myself away from impulse buying of "bushcraft"  gear over the last few years,  and I've given away allot of stuff that I bought and didn't use much or didn't get to use at all, it truly is an addiction, I had the same problem when I was younger with guns and fishing stuff,   at one time I owned a Speed boat, Bass boat, 14ft. bay boat, a 10ft. John boat, and two Canoes, now I'm getting better, I'm down to two Canoes.
 I've kind of settled on four packs that I use on my day hikes, occasion overnighter, and one in case I might want to take an extended trip over a couple of days,  and just enough gear to take what I want with me, and these day I travel as light as possible.
 Which brings me to favorite knives,  I have two large drawers full of fixed blades, one for customs and one for production knives, and one drawer full of folders, now you would think that that's enough,  well, I've got another one coming in the mail this afternoon that I'll have to make a sheath for and make room for in my customs drawer, or start a third drawer,  like I said, it's an addiction.
 I was going through my stash of fixed blade customs yesterday and the thought came to me that while they are all very nice knives I seldom use any of them,  and I certainly don't need most of them,  maybe it's  time to sell some of them,  it would certainly clear up some much needed space and put some cash in my pocket, but which ones would I want to part with, now that's a problem.
 Some I have just because I love the way they look, but in reality they don't fit my woods style, for example, I have an MLL Adirondack model,  it's a beautiful Nessie styled blade with very nice Bocote wood scales, it feels good in the hand and cuts  great,  but I just can't get into Nessmuck styled blades, I also have a Kephart styled knife that is absolutely stunning, it's got a 5"bade, walnut scales, it's 3/16th" thick and the blade above the cutting edge is left with the forge marks, but it's a little heavy for my taste, maybe it should go along with a few others that I don't use.
 So, what's my favorite bush knife,  I've got a custom classic bushlore that I love,  an Enzo Trapper that is a perfect bush knife and one of the most comfortable that I have,  a few months ago I picked up a Bark River Aurora from Yellow yak that could be in the running for my favorite,  but then again I haven't actually seen or held the Bush Tool that I have coming in today ?

It's soooo hard deciding.

How about you guys,  do you have a favorite Bush Knife,  and why is it your favorite ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Favorite Knives
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
I have a couple of those drawers too Moe.  Knives I bought, some on impulse, and some because I had long wanted one and finally saw one at a price that appealed to me.  The addiction is sometimes scary as you buy knives you already have just to have a backup.  The other day a stag handled Russell belt knife in carbon steel crossed my path and now resides in the drawer.  Haven't used it as I have an old one that I like a lot.  You mentioned a Enzo which is on my list of knives to obtain.  I like the feel of it in my hand.  Bernie Garland makes a few that appeal to me but his waiting list is getting long.  There are also several makers here on the forum who make knives that I want.  Any of six or so that put their wares up for display are always getting my attention. 

At any rate, at the current time, here is my favorite.

Bernie Garland Recurve Bushlore.  A superb knife for anything you want to do in the woods.  It is a fine knife for dressing whitetail deer and batons with the best of them.  Works well in the camp kitchen too.  It is 01 tool steel which is a favorite of mine.  It also has a terrific handle, both in material and shape.  It also is a perfect fit in a wonderful knife sheath that Dano gave me awhile back.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
I have a couple of those drawers too Moe.  Knives I bought, some on impulse, and some because I had long wanted one and finally saw one at a price that appealed to me.  The addiction is sometimes scary as you buy knives you already have just to have a backup.  The other day a stag handled Russell belt knife in carbon steel crossed my path and now resides in the drawer.  Haven't used it as I have an old one that I like a lot.  You mentioned a Enzo which is on my list of knives to obtain.  I like the feel of it in my hand.  Bernie Garland makes a few that appeal to me but his waiting list is getting long.  There are also several makers here on the forum who make knives that I want.  Any of six or so that put their wares up for display are always getting my attention. 

At any rate, at the current time, here is my favorite.

Bernie Garland Recurve Bushlore.  A superb knife for anything you want to do in the woods.  It is a fine knife for dressing whitetail deer and batons with the best of them.  Works well in the camp kitchen too.  It is 01 tool steel which is a favorite of mine.  It also has a terrific handle, both in material and shape.  It also is a perfect fit in a wonderful knife sheath that Dano gave me awhile back.

Thanks for the comments Stan,  nice to know I'm not the odd man in the group,  I really like my Enzo Trapper,  I picked it up on the 'other' forum about a year and a half ago,  it was a kit knife that the owner had a knife maker handle in white linen micarta with blue liners,  I think the scales are a little oversized compared to the originals for the knife, but it fits me perfectly,  it's in 01 steel, scandi grind, and easily one of the sharpest knives I own,  I use it as much if not more than any other I have.
  What caught my eye about it was the price,  the owner needed cash in a hurry and had the knife up for $70.00 bucks,  so I grabbed it before taking the time to read some reviews on them, I'm glad I did,  after committing to the sale I did a search of reviews and read quite a few of them and watched a few field review videos,  for the most part they were all good,  a couple complained that they had trouble with the edge rolling and some chipping problems,  but I've been using it pretty hard, I do batton with my knives and the wood in my area is red and white oak with some hard maple here and there so it's pretty hard especially when dried and aged,  I haven't experienced any chipping or rolled edges with mine, and it holds a good edge even after some long work periods.
 I'm assuming that those that had problems with their knives probably didn't know what they were doing or abused their knives doing stuff they weren't intended to do,  I know a guy who's always complaining about damaged edges on his knives, but I see him often battoning over rocks and hard ground and sticking his knife in the dirt between uses, I mentioned to him once that it wasn't a good idea,  his response was "a good knife should be able to take a little abuse",  mine was "OK, it's your knife".
 Anywho, if you get a chance to buy a Trapper at a good price you won't be sorry. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • Banned forever from that other forum
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
  I'm still in the process of buying a bunch of knives to fill up my house....not there yet.  :D

A few greatest hits, though. The Becker BK9 is STILL one of my favorites. I just love it.

Any Mora, but I really like the Mora Robust.

I have been rotating through a number of folders, looking for the perfect one...in fact I just ordered a Cold Steel Finn Wolf.  To date, my favorite folder, and the most robust and usefull, has been the Cold Steel Voyager. It really is a great knife. Not so much for small carving and stuff liek that, though...so that's why I just ordered the Finn Wolf.

I think I recently found my "perfect" woods utility knife. It is the Jaakaripuukko 110 from Varusteleka.  https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-110-carbon-steel/53634. I just love it...feels great in the hand...robust...a good working knife. It's not really a true scandi, there is a small microbevel when it comes, so you need to sharpen it and grind out that bevel if you want it to be scandi.

In fact, I like the puukko so much, I think I am going to order one of their skrama knives when they become available. I don't really need it...I have a machete and my BK9....but for the money, and the quality, it seems like a must have to complement the puukko.

So, um...yeah. I'm still in the seraching mode for my personal Excalibur.

I can say this, though. I will never get rid of my BK9 or my Jaakaripuukko. Those are permanent possessions.

The best part is....I got the BK9 on a clearance special from Cabelas for $63, and I got the Jaakaripuukko with a fantastic black leather sheath for about the same money.

Other than that, there are a few other sharps that are favorites of mine....my Husqvarna 26" axe, and my Tramontina 18" machete.

I am a value kind of guy...I like to get a good product for a good price. I'm not cheap, I just don't want to spend so much money on something, I am afraid to use it. There is a "tool price" limit on what I will spend. If something is so pricey, I can't think of it as a tool any more, I ain't buying it.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
As part of my journey to become a maker I have purchased a lot of knives. Mainly because I found no matter how good a knife looks, it means nothing if it doesn't feel good in the hand..

Here is a pic of all of the smaller fixed knives in my collection

Here is a group of knives on the way to be tested at a bushcraft meet..

The Helle Temagami was the one people liked most..

My favourites are:

woodlores - mears/wood, mears/swc, adventure sworn
The GSO 4.1 series
Spyderco bushcraft
Sykco 511
Mora robust
Bark river bushcrafter

Here are my bushcraft grails

Mears/wood woodlore

Beck WSK

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
i sense a knifaholics annonimous chapter forming.
as for me i'm just getting started, i still don't have a knife
from some of the makers here yet, nor do i have that 179'00
mora with the curly birch handle..so i had rto settle for making one.
i got bit by the knife bug bad and fell hard in about 3'mos tine i built
a full shop .so i do feel the anxiety of it all.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »
My current favorite, a John Bradley 
not my photo or exact scales but very close. I need to get some photos taken.
Austempered 52100, very lite, 4 1/2 ", 1/8th" camp knife

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:12:53 PM »
I've probably got 30 knives, not including junk. If I had to leave and only take one it would have to be my bushtool clone Red made for me. I've beat it a bunch. Fits my had and is always crazy sharp.

I had Matt Chaos make me an upside down carry rig out of kydex. This set up is a wonderful tool kit.

I'd probably try to take a nice axe along with me but I'd be in good shape with this knife.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
That's a tough question. Right now I'd say it is the Puronvarsi 125mm Tommi. It's another one of those high grind scandi types. I'm so used to that kind of knife, that typical recommendations for sharpening angles are too steep for my comfort, ease of use.

Last year I got a puukko from Mike Inkeroinen. I wanted something simple, no bolsters, ferrule, pommel or caps, just wood, and a much nicer sheath than I could make. It could be a fav, it is for daily carry. It's a pretty good knife.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
One I keep in my pack that goes where I go.

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar