Author Topic: catching a spark  (Read 662 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
catching a spark
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
many here have experimented with all manner of materials.
mainly steel&stone ect,,,
i have found that old files can work quite well.
even a sliver of high carbon steel leftover
from cutting out a knife blank.
what i would like to hear is some of your
experiments and what were your conclusions.
pictures please, :)

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Re: catching a spark
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
My first successful foray into flint and steel was with a Case belt knife I got in a trade.
I used a crumbly bit of white quartz on the spine of the knife and was able to send large sparks right to the ground while standing.
I taught my best friend the technique the very next day and he got sparks on his first try. He only copied what he saw me do. Hadn't ever seen a video or anything like it.
Shortly after that I got two good fire steels in a trade. Both were from relatively new files but had been forged by a young guy in Texas. Kid was pretty good because they were tempered just right. Not quite as good as the Case knife, but pretty good. The Case knife was saved some abuse by those steels (that and I traded it).

Anyway, I gave my buddy one of them and I gave the other one away a few years ago to a young sailor I was on the Base Shooting Team with.
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
One of my favorites that I have made and used is an old rat tail file. I can make two out of one of them. Easy to bend and throws one heck of a shower of sparks
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »
thank's pete' inever thought of using a rattail file,

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 05:53:48 AM »
There are a lot of posts about flint & steel & such in B&B, if ya do a search. It might help if you are looking for more info & stories of F&S use by the members. If ya want to search for them, of course. There are members who do not visit as much as they used to & you may be missing some posting here due to that also. It might help, anyway.
 ;)

Have fun & enjoy!
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 06:28:37 AM »
thanks MN,sportsman,
i'll try a lil'surfin

Offline Keith H

• Mill File+
    • A Woodsrunners Diary
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 02:36:40 AM »
many here have experimented with all manner of materials.
mainly steel&stone ect,,,
i have found that old files can work quite well.
even a sliver of high carbon steel leftover
from cutting out a knife blank.
what i would like to hear is some of your
experiments and what were your conclusions.
pictures please, :)

To make a good fire steel you need to use a high carbon steel, like an old metal file. Many originals were made from old files such as the one I use now which was made in the 18th century.

Some of my fire steels & siliceous rocks.

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/more-on-flint-steel-firelighting.html

Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference. Frost.