Author Topic: Pennsylvania Game Commission moving forward with semi-automatic rifle use  (Read 576 times)

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
"HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) ? The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners Tuesday unanimously gave preliminary approval to permitting semi-automatic rifles and shotguns for hunters.

Under the proposal, semi-automatic firearms would be available for use while hunting big game, small game and furbearers. A five-round magazine would be required for all semi-automatic rifles, with a total ammunition capacity limited to six rounds."

Full article inside:

http://abc27.com/2017/01/31/pennsylvania-game-commission-moving-forward-with-semiautomatic-rifle-use/

Other sources:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170201/pennsylvania-game-commission-unanimously-approves-proposed-rulemaking-for-new-semi-auto-rifle-hunting-law

http://timesleader.com/news/630480/game-commission-approves-measure-to-allow-semi-automatic-rifles-for-hunting

Thoughts?
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Pennsylvania Game Commission moving forward with semi-automatic rifle use
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »
"HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) ? The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners Tuesday unanimously gave preliminary approval to permitting semi-automatic rifles and shotguns for hunters.

Under the proposal, semi-automatic firearms would be available for use while hunting big game, small game and furbearers. A five-round magazine would be required for all semi-automatic rifles, with a total ammunition capacity limited to six rounds."

Full article inside:

http://abc27.com/2017/01/31/pennsylvania-game-commission-moving-forward-with-semiautomatic-rifle-use/

Other sources:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170201/pennsylvania-game-commission-unanimously-approves-proposed-rulemaking-for-new-semi-auto-rifle-hunting-law

http://timesleader.com/news/630480/game-commission-approves-measure-to-allow-semi-automatic-rifles-for-hunting

Thoughts?
Pennsylvania is joining the 20th Century...now that we're in the 21st Century?
I've never lived in a State where they WEREN'T legal....  :shrug:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
They've always been legal here.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline druid189

• Whetstone +
  • PA...the hunter's dream state
    • My meagerly endowed YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »
I understand that in many States, the use of semiautomatic rifles for hunting has been legal. I'm 47 and it has never been legal here in my lifetime. I'm unsure how I feel about it.
If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today...would you make different choices or would you stay the same?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »
The only time I ever shot a deer with a semi-auto here in Nebraska was when I wanted to test out the 7.62X39 cartridge on a game animal.  One shot = one deer......might as well have used my .53 Hawken.  :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:02:06 AM »
Seriously, though, I don't see that it matters for well educated hunters.  Like what Wolfy describes.  It's mostly anti-hunters who are against those weapons, because (in their ignorance) they have visions of wild-eyed, blood-thirsty savages riddling poor Bambie with bullets!

I learned to shoot with a pump .22 cal.  When my Grandfather first took me hunting, he made me take an old Savage single shot.  I complained, and he told me, "You can knock a bottle cap off a fence post at 30 paces. If you can't kill a rabbit with one shot, the rabbit wins."   My sons and daughter learned to hunt with a 10-.22 semi.  I taught them the same way. Even with a full magazine, if the first shot was a clean miss, they didn't shoot a second time.  It was that rabbit's lucky day.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Apercula

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 05:37:47 AM »
I haven't hunted since high school, so 30+ years, but at that time in Ohio the only legal deer round was a shotgun slug. Multiple shot shotguns were legal but guns used for waterfowl had to be plugged for a maximum of 3 shells.

There would be times we would hear a hunter rip off 3-5 shots during deer gun season and my dad would grumble about incompetent hunters. His belief, and it makes sense to me, is the first shot you take is your best chance, after that you probably have a moving target at a bad angle and are rushing the shot mechanics. "One shot, he got it, two shots the deer probably got away, three or more shots the hunter is just wasting ammo."

We had a semi auto 12g that my uncle had used for waterfowl, so 3 shot maximum, and a H&R single shot breach load 12g, 90%+ of the time I hunted with the single shot.