Author Topic: old threads...  (Read 459 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
old threads...
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
I found an old thread on another knife forum via a google search in which someone asked the same basic question about a tool that I was keen to have answered. There were no replies, no out dated info, no stupid comments, nothing. I was therefore tempted to bump that existing thread with my re-iteration of the question, but I didn't because, in my experience, its a good way to draw some serious e-scorn on seemingly any web forum. So the question here is; why? Wouldn't it save valuable server space? Is there some other, real technical concern? Is it cultural?

p.s. -wheres the damn track knob on the dremel 1x30?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: old threads...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:15:54 AM »
Personally, I would rather see a  bump of an old thread on an appropriate topic than starting a duplicate thread.  There are logical exceptions, of course, but I've seen people start multiple threads on the same topic way too often.

What happen here, Binalith, is that someone starts a new thread on an existing topic, and the response they get is "Yeah, check THIS thread for an answer  <thread link>", or something similar.  This forum might be the exception, but I don't ever remember anyone getting criticized for bumping an old thread if they have a good reason.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:45:56 AM »
I certainly have no issue with it.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
Personally, I would rather see a  bump of an old thread on an appropriate topic than starting a duplicate thread.  There are logical exceptions, of course, but I've seen people start multiple threads on the same topic way too often.

What happen here, Binalith, is that someone starts a new thread on an existing topic, and the response they get is "Yeah, check THIS thread for an answer  <thread link>", or something similar.  This forum might be the exception, but I don't ever remember anyone getting criticized for bumping an old thread if they have a good reason.

I agree......
Anyone that has researched a subject....and was led to a forum by following an archived posting...has shown interest.
And if already on one and found an old post buy doing a search.....
Should be rewarded....not be a subject of ridicule.

This forum has been mostly a "snark free"  zone..and that is refreshing.

No problem with me on old threads......
Beats the ..."What is the best survival knife?"
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
I am with all of you on opening old threads.  Sometimes there is something that "clicks" and you remember what you were going to do and never got around to.  Other times something you might not have understood suddenly makes sense when a new post is made.  I say have at it.   :D
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
LOL! Nobody yelled at me when I bumped my "Kindling 101" thread for the 3rd year in a row. Hahaha
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
I am with the bump also. Just because a thread is old doesn't mean the info is not relevant.
I recently bumped one of mine for no better reason then I wanted to post a updated photo.
Also with new members we might get new insights.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
  I used to do it about once a month or two to bring attention to them for new members. There are some gems in here at B&B. I kind of quit. Don't know why.
:shrug:

Anyway,
 Haven't seen one post against ya doing it. Have at 'er.
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 08:22:08 PM »
I've read quite a few old threads and there are some gems indeed.
sadly many posted by members who are no longer here.
everyone has thier own ideas, experiences, knowledge and twist
on a variety of issues and topics. good thing they are archived,
everyyhing from that one navybean soup recipie to that one photo.
it's all there.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »
I love making up "old" sayings....

"Why reinvent the wheel, when the cart's already rollin'?"