Author Topic: Wetterlings Hunters axe  (Read 422 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Wetterlings Hunters axe
« on: February 05, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »
I read a lot of axe related material. Most is worthless in my opinion. The history is valuable beyond measure but most reviews are performed by folks that seem more worried about the beauty of the wood in the haft or the evenness of a forge weld versus it's ability to maintain an edge or comfort in use. I find value in a tool, in it's usefulness and dependability and it's ability to be ready and able to perform it's given task when called upon. I have quite a few axes. This is the one I use the most. My main chore for an axe nowadays is keeping wood available to feed the fire pit or the tent heater. I've found feeding those fires is especially handy at keeping my yard free of fallen limbs. I was kindling a fire in the tent yesterday with my favorite axe and decided it needed a little love. I'd say it has been a year since I clean this axe up.

It weighs about 2 1/3 pounds, 20 inches overall. A really great axe. I've never really had to "sharpen" it. I maintain the edge and I use it with care.

Hope it keeps working as good as it has for the last 6 or 7 years.

:chopwood:

Creek

Axes Rock!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Wetterlings Hunters axe
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »
Nice little axe, creek.  It looks well loved.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »
I can see why it's your 'go to' axe for everything you describe doing.......it just LOOKS like it's made for that type of work. :chopwood:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »
 :thumbsup: I must concur, Creek. Aesthetics don't make an axe a great working tool. Aesthetics only make it distinguishable from others in the eye of the beholder. I don't know about you, but I have seen aesthetics become so over-exemplified that the tool is left on the wall and never used for risk of "ruining" its pristine visual appearance.  :shrug: that just doesn't make sense to me.
A well-loved axe, IMO, has signs of wear but is cared for. It is a companion we would hate to part with.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
That handle color has really taken on a nice coloring coloring over the years.  Your clean up job looks real good creek.  That axe is a great design for sure. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »
I have a similar Wetterlings axe.  This will be it's 3rd or 4th year in use.  Love it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Usefulness aside, those really are one of the better looking axes around.

I like the bit shape, but the extra work on the poll makes a difference; adding to the sex-appeal.

I know there is a good number of fans for the American designs. Sure, they work great. I can't help it. I like lipped designs much more