Author Topic: custom survival sheath  (Read 488 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
custom survival sheath
« on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
we all know today that many seaths seeto carry a sharpening stone and some even
a ferro rod. i've been concidering building a slim nylon pouch that would mount to the face
of the sheath with a velcro closing cover,
it would contain
1,aaa,mini mag light
1,roll of floss
4sewing needles, 2leather,2curved
25,feet,artificial sinew
a tiny compass
and small pouch for fatwood&charcloth
the ferro rod would go on the outside
as well as the diamond sharpener

so anyhoo that's my idea wadaya think?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: custom survival sheath
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 07:36:32 AM »
we all know today that many seaths seeto carry a sharpening stone and some even
a ferro rod. i've been concidering building a slim nylon pouch that would mount to the face
of the sheath with a velcro closing cover,
it would contain
1,aaa,mini mag light
1,roll of floss
4sewing needles, 2leather,2curved
25,feet,artificial sinew
a tiny compass
and small pouch for fatwood&charcloth
the ferro rod would go on the outside
as well as the diamond sharpener

so anyhoo that's my idea wadaya think?

Sounds great, but I doubt it'll be "slim" and still be able to hold all that stuff.

I've made several leather sheaths with pouches on the face of the sheath to hold survival items,  the problem with most is that they end up getting in the way of things too often,  too small and they don't hold enough, too big and they are just too big.
  I've found that what works best for me is a sheath (I prefer leather) that holds my knife and has a ferro rod loop which houses a ferro rod that I use for emergency only,  and I have a fairly small belt bag that carries those items that I feel I want to have with me while I'm wearing my knife.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:10:09 AM »
I played around with "mini" kits  Altoid's can/ grenade pouch/ repurposed multitool pouch for survival.  And tested them.  I prefer a bigger kit. 

But have at it.  In FL I'ld add fishhooks.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »
I played around with "mini" kits  Altoid's can/ grenade pouch/ repurposed multitool pouch for survival.  And tested them.  I prefer a bigger kit. 

But have at it.  In FL I'ld add fishhooks.

Me too, I really don't have a "survival" kit, just stuff I feel I might need if ever stuck in a bad place. A full size space blanket, a "trama" kit, and food. Goes with me when ever I am out
Nice matters

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I would like to see what you come up with. I think different people would want /need different items.
Do we have a "kit" thread? Maybe we should?
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
Sounds great, but I doubt it'll be "slim" and still be able to hold all that stuff.

I've made several leather sheaths with pouches on the face of the sheath to hold survival items,  the problem with most is that they end up getting in the way of things too often,  too small and they don't hold enough, too big and they are just too big.
I've found that what works best for me is a sheath (I prefer leather) that holds my knife and has a ferro rod loop which houses a ferro rod that I use for emergency only,  and I have a fairly small belt bag that carries those items that I feel I want to have with me while I'm wearing my knife.

I have one of Moe's sheaths that was made for a BHK mini bush knife.  It has a ferro rod and a striker that rides in a small pocket on the back of the sheath where it is out of the way and yet easy to get to.  I agree with him that, as far as a knife sheath is concerned, you would wind up with a sheath that was not only too big but would approach too heavy as well.  The items you want to add would be just as well put in a leather belt pouch and a nylon bag carried in a pack of some kind.  Just my opinion, of course, but you might put all that stuff in a small bag and tie it to the front of a sheath and carry it around for awhile. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
A small flashlight might be a cool thing to make the sheath symmetrical with F_rod on the other side. A minimal sewing kit, maybe a thin sharpener would probably make for all the bulk on a sheath and remain comfortable imo.

Two things that match closely in size are the small size signal mirrors and credit card diamond sharpener. Ya might be able to make room for the mirror if you were planning on the cc diamond.

Like most folks I prefer my sheaths to be svelte, as little bulk as possible. I do have something kinda similar in my Bob. it's a leather SAK sheath, SAK with a few things held in place with ranger bands- wire, fish hooks, bankline and such. It's actually kinda heavy

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »
I prefer 'simple'.......the simpler the better. :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »
I made a leather sheath with a snap on/off pouch that would hold an Altoids sized tin, with the same intention.  While it was handy, I decided in the end that the extra weight banging against my leg (dangler) all the time was annoying.  As much as I liked the idea, i got to the same conclusion as Moe- sheath with ferro rod and then a small belt pouch for all the other stuff.  If or when I make another, I'll probably add a stone pouch/holder but that's probably it.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with! :thumbsup:

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:50 PM »
I prefer 'simple'.......the simpler the better. :coffee:

After putting together may 'kits" and bags.....Most still as I filled them....I also find small and simple gets used.
Too much stuff is a problem to keep track of, when one or more items get pulled from the pouch and used.

Sharpening stones in a sheath are a good idea...and even the ferro rod on a loop......That would it for me.

I do like and use the idea of a very small belt pouch....based on a leather SAK pouch....Which I carry and use daily.
Mini Multi Tool with small knife and w/flashlight, ferro rod/striker, Mini Bic...with cotton balls stuffed in the bottom

In addition to a pocket SAK (EDC) to a belt knife I carry when necessary  (NOT an EDC)..........hunting , fishing, foraging, hiking, 4 wheeler etc.

For me.......Too much stuff doesn't get carried and mostly gets in the way....have to haul out all that stuff to use something then put away

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline SamD

• Mill File+
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
Consider a credit card sized slide in slot on the back for this item: 

http://www.readyman.com/collections/gear/products/readyman-wilderness-survival-card

and ferro rod loop on side of sheath. Add a braided para-cord landyard to you knife and
Gear Managed!
U.S. Army Paratrooper, DAV (life member), American Legion (life member), NMLRA (1 of 1000 member) & (life Member), NRA (life member)
"BY THE RUDE BRIDGE THAT ARCHED THE FLOOD. THEIR FLAG TO APRILS BREEZE UNFURLED. HERE ONCE THE EMBATTLED FARMERS STOOD. AND FIRED THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD!"

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
Consider a credit card sized slide in slot on the back for this item: 

http://www.readyman.com/collections/gear/products/readyman-wilderness-survival-card

and ferro rod loop on side of sheath. Add a braided para-cord landyard to you knife and
Gear Managed!

Was gifted one of these at a Christmas Exchange ...actually pretty cool...carry in my wallet would think the metal would help with card readers at store door ways....

I have not used anything on it, as breaking something out may weaken the whole structure..
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much