Author Topic: Day Pack Ideas  (Read 883 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Day Pack Ideas
« on: February 06, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »
I have about 2 yards of upholstery leather and I think I want to make me a cool daypack. It doesn't need to be big and I'm leaning more towards a man purse/duffle kinda rig. I'm thinking 20x4ishx12 inches. I want a handle and shoulder strap. I've been noodling it but have not started to design it. Ease of carry and loading is important. Getting it in and out of a car, truck or canoe is an important consideration too. If any of you have a bag that is dear to your heart or one that you would like to have, please post it. I'm trying to collect ideas.

Thanks in advance

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Day Pack Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
I like these real well......

https://www.duluthpack.com/standard-shell-bags.html

Mine is the largest one they offer and it seems perfect for my needs.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:38:31 PM »
If I ever get a new pack, or try to make one- it won't be another top loader. Always liked the simplicity of those, told myself digging to find that one thing was just fine. Lately, I've started thinking how nice it would be to have panel style and organizing ability beyond ditty bags. And a basic frame sheet is good to have.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »
Duluth makes some nice sacks wolfy. I'm going to browse their site some for sure. Mine would be no where nears as visually pleasing.

Unknown, can you find a pic to post of your idea?

I appreciate the input. I'm going to make something that I will use a lot.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
I use a bag made by LL Bean for carrying stuff when I am at gun shows or flea markets.   It is a man purse in every sense of the word.  Made of canvas but in leather would be outstanding.  It has outside pockets on each end but I seldom use them, just stuffing stuff in the large main compartment.  It measures approx. 18" by 6" by 10".  Using straps and buckles for closure works well.  A handle could be added on the end as well.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
That's pretty slick Stan. Are the pockets on the end? Is the main compartment 18 inches?

Thanks

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 08:05:34 PM »
Maybe something like HPG Tarahumara, which has a straight zip down the middle.
https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/3/ProductID/8/Default.aspx

But you could modify it some; like there are some packs that switch between backpack and dufflepurse carry.
Or maybe a u shaped zipper rather than center zip to really open up for contents.

HPG makes a single stay frame sheet and a Velcro organizer panel. Not sure about size of that, but the frame sheet is easy to cut for fit.

I think having the sides sewn in like a gusset helps keep things rectangular, or it could be shaped to taper wide at the bottom more narrow at the top... keeps it from looking like a leather laundry bag.

Eagle creek is one of the companies that makes a duffle conversion. If you don't find the link and want it, I'll find it.

Edit: I see Stan and Wolfy have posted shoulder bags, is that what you meant or more back pack like?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
That's pretty slick Stan. Are the pockets on the end? Is the main compartment 18 inches?

Thanks

Creek

The pockets are on the end and the main compartment is about 16" with a top flap of 18".  I didn't measure it quite right the first time.  It doesn't matter if the interior width is 18" then the top flap would be 20". 

The pockets are 6" high 5" wide and 1 3/4" deep.  The way the pockets are constructed they are the ends of the bag as opposed to being added onto the bag.  Ie the back of the pocket is the side of the bag, if that makes sense.

What the photo doesn't show is that the front of the bag has a full width pocket that is divided into three compartments.  It is a good place to put paper, writing material, pens and stuff like that.  Not necessary to have but it is there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:20:41 AM »
I'm thinking shoulder bag unknown. Thanks for the link. Well actually I'm not sure what I'm thinking just yet.  :shrug:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »
  I'd also suggest a shoulder bag like Wolfy and Stan talked about,  mine is a Game Bag made by Barbur, the same folks who make the famous waxed cotton English hunting clothes,  I think they are in Scotland, it's on the same design as the Duluth Large shell bag, made of green waxed cotton, mine is a game bag and has a detachable inner vinyl lining to keep blood from staining the cloth.
 It's bound in leather, has leather closer straps, the main compartment is a bucket style and has two large bellows type front pockets with flaps that snap closed,  the carry strap is 1-1/4" webbing, adjustable with brass keepers, it's 14" wide, 10" high, and 4" deep.
 I've had this bag 40 years, I've used it as a hunting bag, shell bag when I was shooting Trap & Skeet, and as a day bag bushwacking among other uses,  the design is ageless and screams man bag, it also lends itself to being a very easy bag to make.
 Mine also has a large D ring on either side where the carry strap attaches for tying on thongs for carrying game, but they come in handy for tying down a jacket or other bit of gear.

Good luck with what ever you chose to go with,  it should be an interesting and fun project.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »
I'm thinking shoulder bag unknown. Thanks for the link. Well actually I'm not sure what I'm thinking just yet.  :shrug:

Creek

I know that feeling. I've had these 2 pieces of rust colored bison. It's someone else's scrap from a brief case thing he made. There's enough to make a bag, but maybe not the bag I want. No mistakes. Every so often I find it. Leave it laying out for a few days thinking what it might be. Then put it back.

I found this oldish, high end purse at the thrift store a few weeks back. Figuring if my wife didn't want it I could skin it out for leather.  Neither worked out, and I tossed it out. It was interesting how it was made, and the leather liner was quite posh.

So that's been rattling around in my brain. Think I will just use that leather to make my wife a purse, and try to duplicate the leather interior. Should only take a few more years

Oh yeah, I forgot.... be sure to include a welt in your seams. The best looking ones I've done are folded, if you can sew through 4 layers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:03:53 PM by Unknown »

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
The main reason I'm doing this is 3 fold.

1. I have had the material for some time and have never put it to use. Things that sit around here for too long not being used are removed.

2. As I have ventured out more solo on my canoe, I just cant find the "thing" that works just right for the stuff I plan to carry. I don't carry a bunch at one time but none of it seems to be shaped the same. I try to take different things every outing too.

3. I figure we are going to have some more cold crappy weather that I have no real reason to venture out in so I NEED something to keep me busy. I've been looking at different bags for a while actually. I don't want to spent a couple $$ when I know I can make one that will suit my adventures just fine and cost me nothing but doing it, a new needle, and some matching heavy duty thread.

I do want to make it look as good as I can. I will get caught in public with it for sure. You guys keep proding me so I get it done. I like looking at the bags too. No one has posted one I've looked at before. Thanks

Creek

Axes Rock!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
I think I've posted this picture before, but here's a shot of my old #300 Duluth Pack Shell Bag.  The reason it is TuTone is because the original flap wore out completely and I sent it back to them for repair.  I requested the heaviest weight of canvas for the repair.  They don't normally make these bags with the same weight cloth that they use in their big portage-style Duluth Packs, but as long as I was getting the repair done, I had them make a brand new special heavyweight (WOLFY EDITION) shell bag just for me.  They were very obliging and didn't even charge any extra frogskins for the modified bag. :thumbsup:

I'm still using the old one each and every day. 8)

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
That's a cool bag!  :cheers:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
what about a tool roll type of rig?

you'll have to excuse the bad paint drawing, but here's a description of what i have in my brain.

It's like a tool roll, but instead of unrolling sideways it opens vertically.

the bottom third folds up, then the top third folds down. a handle at the top when open, and a handle at the top when closed. you could hang it on a tree and have all your stuff available easily.

hope the drawing helps, but maybe my idea will get your brain rolling. or you can throw out what i'm thinking. either way, have fun with your project!
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 07:35:07 PM »
That's good BH! Hadn't thought about a design like that. I have to think about that approach some. Glad you check in and appreciate your idea. It's cool. I hope you and your family are doing well in your new home.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »

Behind the main flap is another pocket about the size of two altoid tins. The fasten strap is not that great. I usually tuck the tag end back into the loop to be sure it stays closed. It's not quite big enough so ya gotta get creative to hang stuff outside. I copied the strap hanger from an old map case type bag I have. Haven't found a way I like better than that yet.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:46:38 PM by Unknown »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 12:57:53 AM »
UTC,

I took one of WBs USGI gas mask bags & turned it into a sort of haversack by cutting off, moving & re-sewing the big strap.( before he had the ones made that way) I have used it in all seasons here in Mn., and I have found it to be a little small sometimes for what I carry in it most of the time. I "make do" with it & have added a small ammo pouch to carry small items, but I think I would go larger if I were to make one for myself. [I also made one for my oldest son as a gift, but do not have his input on his use of it.]

I would suggest that if you want to do it. Try to get the gear together that you would carry on your average trips & put it in a mockup made from something else. Cardboard, paper, cloth, etc. to make sure that you have the room to carry what ya like in it. Just so ya don't find out that you made your bag too small for what you wanted it to carry. Consider that if you are going to collect anything from the woods, you either have to have room to carry what ya gather, or room in the pouch to carry a gathering/foraging pouch.
( I do the latter & carry the gather/forage pouch empty in the haversack, but when gather/forage is full, attached to the strap, or in my hand, when I travel).

Just to give a rough idea of what I carry on short trips using this pouch is a list below. Of course your needs/wants could certainly be different. But, at least you will have a rough idea of the amount of gear that I fit into the USGI gas mask pouch & it almost fully closes the velcro flap leaving some spare room. If I put in a can of beer/soda & a can of chili/soup/etc. the velcro flap fastens but not all the way ( perhaps half) There might be room for some small things I might pick up to save, like birch bark, horse hoof mushroom(s), rocks,etc.. , but I have to watch for the flap to close. {Velcro is much better in this case than buttons, but maybe keep this in mind for strap lengths.} Sometimes I add other small items to carry, but not often enough to include them here. [I do have a small ammo pouch I have attached to the strap to carry a small sharpener, compass, dog biscuits & misc. small stuff/odds & ends.]

• * Small SS water bottle/cap
  • * Large enamel blue mug with bottle nested( sometimes the mug is attached                                       to the outside if I have already packed away the other items)
  • * Pair light leather gloves ( flat in bottom,only in warmer months,I wear other                                          gloves in the cold)
  • * Fork/spoon
  • * Collapsible bowl for dogs
  • * Folding saw & spare knife(mora)
  • * Gathering/forage bag( meshed) usually folded flat in bottom, unless out to use.
  •   1 cloth cotton diaper (I usually have a bandanna in my pocket also)
  •   TP
  •   Ziploks ( just a couple assrtd sizes)
  •   2 altoids tins with one fire kit & the other a tinderbox w/charred materials.
  •   3 ft. tube with a 4-5 inch hollow arrow shaft taped to it (fire persuader & emer.           water collection or tourniquet)
  •   Map, if needed.
  •   Small bottle bug juice (except Winter)
  •   100' paracord in 30' lengths in the little outside pocket of pouch.
  •   Small flattened roll of duct tape in another outside pocket.
   [Note - The * means that item is carried in Main pouch, the rest are in small pouch inside Main pouch. Some items are carried in the little pouches outside like the paracord & other misc. stuff. I think I remembered everything in there. Other items are carried on person like whistle, belt knife, etc.]

[Additional note - for those who might wonder. I do not carry a dedicated FAK with me in these little day trips, nor carry a Emer. kit in a tin. Some may think it foolish, but I have trust in my knowledge/skills to get out of a lot of situations where I might need the rudimentary things that would be in those kits, were I to have some sort of little "rough adventure" when I am out on a short day wander. Many items I would need, can be made right from what is on my person or in the list above. I try to pack along what I think I will need & not more than that. So, YMMV as some say. Go with your gut, and what you are comfortable with carrying. I take my path, you take yours. ;) ]

Since I have one gas mask bag left, (if I were to make another, which I might do soon), I would carry it on the opposite side to balance the loads & the swing of it(them) when going through the woods. I find myself holding it & taking up the use of my left hand ( I wear left side) if it creeps forward as I go along when it is fully loaded. Which can sort of be a nuisance when traveling. If I were to wear two, I would tape, tie, or similarly fasten the two straps where they cross on my back to try to eliminate the creeping.

Well, I have typed enough. But I hope I could help with what I wrote out. I just wanted to mention if it hadn't been already that assembling what ya might carry in the bag for volume assessment might be a good idea. Would be a pity to go through making it & find out something you really wanted to include in it wold not fit & then ya have to choose what ya want to remove to accommodate it.

If I can think of anything else that might help I will post again, but G'luck in your project & I will enjoy seeing the rest of this topic & the one with the Project as ya go if ya decide to do this & show us your progress.
 :) and :cheers: !
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:08:11 AM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)