Author Topic: super char the quest continues.  (Read 477 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
super char the quest continues.
« on: February 08, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »
in my occqasional quest for the ultimate charcloth.
i bought a very exorbant towel. or so the lable said.
so i'm going to make some char cloth and see.
and yes i'll post my results.
the towel in question seems to be quite fluffy 100% cotton.
i like to use a no'10 sz, paint can, or 1'gallon.
i have'nt made any char cloth since last fall

and i enjoy doing it, just getting out and all
hang out with the dog have some coffee
good times,

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: super char the quest continues.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 05:58:32 PM »
The charcloth sample you sent me works fantastic.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
creek i hopeto send you some better :)
tomorrow is charcloth day' yea.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »
I don't use charcloth too much. I prefer natural stuff, as I have said many times before. But... when I do char cloth, I have always preferred old used cloth baby diapers. Not so worn out they are falling apart ones. Just ones that were used towards the end of the potty training time & still have the thickness & quality. Don't find them around much anymore though. Pity that..

( BTW, they make excellent cleaning rags & once they are real worn, they make great patches for firearms cleaning & I understand they work good even for muzzleloader patches if ya want.)

After the used cloth diapers ran out, I went to using denim, like old Levis, Wranglers,etc., and also tried old Corduroy fabric. All in the spirit of science & better charred stuff. Still use denim to this day. Don't run into corduroy cloth much anymore & in a pinch the good old cotton underwear & t shirt will do, but are kinda flimsy compared to the other thicker stuff.

I have some older "used up for the most part" wore out terry towels around here. I generally throw them in the truck for using as rags or wet dog towels after they have been swimming, but I will try to remember to try them out the next time I get to doing some char cloth. Thinking on it, they might work right well, like you fellers are saying. I always thought they would have a looser weave & fall apart, so I never tried them before.

Learn something new everyday, right?
 :thumbsup:

So I will try to remember to give it a try.
 :)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 06:33:58 PM »
JB' check the baby section at wa-mart they carry tm there.
they come in bundles of 10 i believe.

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 01:42:43 AM »
Punk wood works pretty good.  Tinder fungus (aka Chaga) will take a spark.  For carrying a ember that's already lit...hard to beat horse foot fungus. I carry birch bark to speed things along.  Carry chert, a piece of rose quartz, and some English flint to demo different ways to spark a fire steel.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 02:02:33 AM »
JB' check the baby section at wa-mart they carry tm there.
they come in bundles of 10 i believe.

Thanks, but I don't plan to be buying anything to char. Just use stuff like rags laying around.

Like I said in my 1st post here, I am more into the Natural stuff like, Gizamo above was talking about. Stuff I can readily get, out in the woods..

Nice to know abut those diapers though. They are really handy if they are as quality as they used to be.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)