Author Topic: Homemade Hunter's Axe!!!  (Read 301 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Homemade Hunter's Axe!!!
« on: February 13, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »
Well some of you may remember this Plumb hatchet project I did awhile back.  There was just something about it that didn't do it for me on the handle.  I've been wanting to do something different with it and finally made up my mind.  It's a 1.5lb head and the edge is 3 1/2 inches.  It's an old WWII hatchet and the profile on it is just awesome.  I've always liked the looks of the handle on the GB hunters axe so I thought I'd use that shape as my inspiration.  Now the big axe in the pic is a 3lb Keen Kutter that I want to rehandle on a 28" straight haft for a fallers buddy axe down the road.  So I repurposed the big axe handle for the hunters axe project.   

So I measured out the length to be a little over 19 inches and cut the handle in the places to get the shape I wanted and got it fitted. 

All sanded

I decided to try torching the handle a bit on this one as well.  I have never done one until now but I like it.

Now I applied quite a few coats of Watco.  Will probably do some more but it looks darn good so far

trying it out some.

carved a stool for Jack with it.  It is a great carver.  Handle looks thin but it feels just right.

It'll make a good woods companion.  It's been awhile since I had a 1.5lb head for a half axe.  I forgot how light they feel. 

Hope you liked it and thanks for looking!

Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Re: Homemade Hunter's Axe!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
I do like it. That handle looks great with the dark in it.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
Thanks XJ!  I might have to try that finish again on another project.  It's growing on me the more I look at it.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
You are going to love it if you don't already. I love 1 3/4 on 20 inches myself. Dare say my favorite for "general" tasks. If the task is bigger then of course you need a bigger axe. My go to in public is my Wetterlings hunter but I use my Miller Falls around the house a lot too. The wett is 2 1/4 lbs overall on 20 inches with a 3 inch edge. The Miller is 2 3/4 on 19 inches with a 3 1/4 inch edge. If I need to pound on stuff I go with the Miller. I have a tad less invested it it. I hope you don't mind me posting a glam shot. Still testing cameras.

The Wetterlings edge profile is a little better than the Miller but the Miller is nice and thin too. I could improve it easily with a few minutes and a file. I know your Plumb is a fine example and I'm sure a pleasure to use.  I love the look. Next time you're out and by the fire with the Plumb, tickle the haft with the flame some and rub on it as you do it. That's what I did with the Wett and it turned out really good.

Nice work  :chopwood:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
you know I don't mind pics with axes in them!  yeah I would agree with you on the 1 3/4lb head on a 20in half axe size.  They are darn handy.  Unless you just have big wood or a long duration chore there's not much you can't do with one.  Plus they never wear you out working them.  That's why I like that ol Plumb so much.  For what I do most of the time it's just right. 

Here's my line up of half axes.  Top is the 2lb Council Pack axe, middle is the 1 3/4lb Plumb, bottom is the 1.5lb Plumb.  All handles are in the 18-19" range

Gonna have to throw this pic up in the axe pic thread too I think!