Author Topic: FSS Pulaski Finished  (Read 561 times)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
FSS Pulaski Finished
« on: February 13, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
This is an old Barco FSS Pulaski that I've had kicking around for a couple years.  Which is odd for me cause I really like it and have from the beginning.  I finally got it finished up.  Here is the project

How she started

hand filed out that chip and took off most of the rust while leaving some of the patina

Thanks for looking!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
Re: FSS Pulaski Finished
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
Looks great, thanks for some pics  :cheers:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
It looks great and like a very useful tool to have around.  Thanks for the photos.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »
Boy oh boy,....you had some metal to move when you took on that project, OE!   That is a classic silk purse from a sow's ear series of photos if I ever saw one. 

Nice work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
That turned out.  They way you polished it is great.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »
That turned out looking great!!!  I think they are awesome tools too, you really brought out the glam in that one!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  This was handy for sure.  It finally took a need to have it project to get my butt on it.  You need those now and then...

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
That sucker turned out great. Lots of personality. Funny you would post that now. I was digging around over the weekend and found this long neglected gem.

I like the contour of this unit and although I have no idea of the maker I do think it is USA.

I appreciate your inspiration ODE.

:chopwood:

Creek

Axes Rock!

Online Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:36 PM »
I had to take out 40' of ornamental spruce hedge once. Nothing like a Pulaski for goin' after those roots!  Nice job.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 06:23:13 AM »
Thanks gents!  Creek that thing needs a handle ASAP!  I'd go ahead say goodbye to the sticker and turn that into a mean user.

Offline windy

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
A young man can get a lot of forest work done with a Pulaski and a no. 2 shovel; an old man not so much, I'm finding.  I first met the Pulaski late June of '67, when I took my new bride to the Idaho lookout tower that was to be our honeymoon cabin and summer job (we were both in college).  First chore with the cuttin' tool was splitting tamarack for the tiny little wood stove in the tower.  Boy, those Forest Service kids had some edges on those tools, preparing for the fire season!  My first swing slipped through the block, AND my new cowboy boot!  I felt cold steel against my foot, looked down, and saw the blade buried; my heart near stopped, waiting for the blood to gush.  When it didn't, I pulled the Pulaski out of the boot, took it off....the sock was sliced, top and bottom, the full 4" of the blade width--and the skin of my foot hadn't even been scraped!
Now, as an old fart, I cruise the forest roads with an identical Pulaski, a no. 2 shovel, and a bucket--can't find an Indian pump I can afford, or it'd be there with the other stuff--and repair blown-out ditches when I find 'em, sniff the air fer woodsmoke, pull out the fly rod when indicated, and feel like I'm doin' some payback for the joys of the past 50 years of ridge-runnin' and marriage to my woodsy bride.  I'm blessed to live in a little mountain town surrounded by lakes, streams, national forest, and woods critters; if Mt. Rainier don't blow and bury me nature's way I stay here 'til they cart me off.  Oh, but no more lookout towers fer this old man--too hard gittin' up 'n down 'em, fer one thing, and Mama 'n me no longer fit in a single lookout tower bunk.
windy

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »
Nice work.  Well done.