Author Topic: Mora garberg, Eldris and companion comparison pics and observations  (Read 463 times)

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
Hi all,

Here are some comparison pics of the Mora Eldris (blue), Garberg (black) and companion (green)

The pommel of the garberg can be used for tenderising, smashing and firesteel striker. This is much safer than using the knife with the blade exposed.

Note: the sheath that comes with the garberg is able to be used in many ways. Shown is the setup that can be attached to a bag, pack frame car/house interior..

I don't know how useful this will be but you can essentially have the knife on a simple belt loop in use and then you can easily remove it and put it in its wall mount when done..

The Eldris has 2 drain holes that can be used to thread a cord for neck carry.

The Garberg is considerably heftier than the companion and you can see the difference in blade thickness.

Handles:

Companion - I think the companion wins out with its ergonomic design and the nice rubber feel in middle
Eldris - The outside of the handle is rubberised and the flats are a different texture. Its a great size and you can get good purchase ion the knife despite its small size..
Garberg - For my hand this is the lest comfortable. That said it has a great swell and is very robust. I think it would be a lot more durable than the others. It doesn't have the rubberised finish (which I like)

Blades -

The garberg and the eldris are stainless. Some people are against it. I love it as I live coastal and am sick of my knives getting surface rust.

Garberg - this is considerably thicker than the other knives and feels much heavier. It can take hard use. Grind is good but I'm not that fussed on the blade profile..
Eldris - Great little blade. Grinds are a bit wonky on mine and I'm not sure that the compound grind will provide any benefit. Great little camp fire whittler..
Companion - Simple scandi grind nice profile.

Sheathes -

Companion - I really like this sheath. Doesn't have a dangler system but can easily be converted. Also has a great thumb ramp for blade release. A simple practical design
Eldris - Your only option is neck carry or put it in your pack or pocket. Simple design and good retention
Garberg - Modular sheath can be used in a variety of ways. Can be simplified to a simple belt loop which I prefer..

Price - (Note these are the Australian delivered prices)

Garberg - $approx 120-150 delivered
Eldris - $approx $40 delivered
Companion - $approx 30-40

The eldris is well priced as a similar helle offering the Nying is priced at $100 so its well priced and I doubt you'd find that design cheaper..
The garberg is priced high compared the earlier mora offerings. Too high in my opinion but it seems it would last a lifetime.
The companion is the most comfortable and best priced mora in my opinion. You can get the bahco version even cheaper. You could have 4-5 companions for the same price as a garberg and if they fail so be it..

Conclusion:

The Eldris is a great little package and a knife that imo has been missing in the market. Its the best value necker you'll find and I think it will really blow other neck knives out of the water for comfort and use..

The Garberg is a considerable step up from standard mora's. Its much heavier than a normal mora and feels much heftier.. That being said its at the lower end (excluding cheaper mora) price wise and it would be a very reliable tool. I question the modular sheath being a standard option as I think you could shave a good whack off the price by selling it with just the belt loop and have it as an option. I also thing the belt loop on the sheath is better than the fully enclosed leather sheath. Its simple... The exposed tang adds to the utility of the knife and I think its a worthwhile addition..

The companion has been my preferred mora ever since I got one. They are just an excellent knife and it never bothered me having the rat tail tang...

So these are just my ramblings. There may be things I have overlooked or don't understand correctly so if you have any corrections please let me know..

I will be putting these to use soon and will do a write up when I have..

Hope this helps anyone who was interested in these new blades..

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Mora garberg, Eldris and companion comparison pics and observations
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
Good, well-written review. :thumbsup:

I have a few Companions, too.....and I agree with you, the cost vs. comfort factor gives it the 'edge' (pardon me) of any of the knives in the Mora line that I've purchased.  The 'Robust' is one I bought when they first hit the market.  It's more 'robust' all the way around than the Companion and has a longer partial tang than the Companion, but the handle is not nearly as ergonomic in MY hand.  Consequently, I have hardly used it, but the Companion, even though it looks less sturdy and has wimpier blade dimensions, seems way handier and comfortable to use.  Like you, I always heard how lacking the Companion's sheath design is, but it retains the knife adequately, works great for one-handed release & stowing and clips easily to the top edge of the bib on my overalls where it serves as a neck-type knife without the hassles of a sheath knife swinging around and getting in the way when I'm trying to do something else. 

We seem to be an army of two. ;) :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
Very good initial review, thanks for sharing with us!!

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts after you have had time to get them out and use them for a while!

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »
I've several companions. Given 2 to my son. We both agree that they are great knives and you don't have to worry about getting them dirty. The Eldris holds no fascination for me. Doubt I'll ever own one unless I get a super deal on it or it is in a trade of some sort. I'd like to get my hands on a Garberg and probably will one day when the timing and price is right. I think it looks like a knife one could really grow attached to. Appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts. Thanks

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »

Great Utility knives, especially for cutting cardboard or carpets.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline theJman

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »
I own a Garberg and a BB - which is probably similar to the Companion - and if the SHTF and I had to bug out I would probably grab the Garberg on my way out the door.  It's turned out to be a better knife than I thought it might be.