Author Topic: Horn?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
Horn?
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »
 I'm searching for a block, or a round of horn that's not black. Something grayish blonde, or light brown with some streaks of white, something like that.  There lots of squares, blocks, rounds, and scales of black buffalo horn, and a few blonde scales.

I was thinking ox, or some other kind of large cattle might yield such as a solid piece of knife handle size, but cannot find anything close in knife supply catalogs.  Anyone ever see such a thing?

Sheep horns are a possibility.  I've found a few of those for sale at Jantz.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Horn?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:27:27 PM »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »
I can't picture a solid piece, 5" x 1.25+ x 1" in those. Maybe from one of the big ones.

all I need is a horn tip. Didn't plan on making salt horns.... hmm?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:01:13 PM by Unknown »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 05:42:02 AM »
I can't picture a solid piece, 5" x 1.25+ x 1" in those. Maybe from one of the big ones.

all I need is a horn tip. Didn't plan on making salt horns.... hmm?

Maybe you ought to look at some other material that would be more readily available for your project,  usually steer horns are only solid for the first few inches at the tip end, trying to find a solid piece of horn that size is going to be tough,  the only horn that I can think of that might work is Rams horn.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
Plenty of places out there to get buffalo horn (and other horn) knife scales and rounds.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=buffalo+horn+knife+scales
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:47 AM »
Not knowing what you are going to use it for consider finding a cow horn whose color you like and gluing several sections together to make a block the size you want.  You will have to read up on flattening horn by boiling and some of the problems with doing that. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »
When I suggested the possible source in my first post I didn't know what it was for, either.  I can't think of a critter that would have a horn big enough to get something like that from. An exceptionally large unicorn perhaps? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
Oh, a knife handle, which why I put it in the knife making section.

I can find Blonde
Buffalo horn scales but not a blonde round or blonde square as I said in first post. Not black as I said, black is easy to find.

Most of the knives I've seen look like they're made from  horn tips, notice the taper: http://shophorne.com/content/ox-horn-handle-slicing-knife-8?gclid=CJr-r8uKmtICFUhgfgodg00CmA

That's the color I'd like. My design is not that tapered, but if I found a piece then maybe I could alter design to fit material. 2 pieces would work as long as color matched

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 02:11:31 PM »
Oh, a knife handle, which why I put it in the knife making section.

I can find Blonde
Buffalo horn scales but not a blonde round or blonde square as I said in first post. Not black as I said, black is easy to find.

Most of the knives I've seen look like they're made from  horn tips, notice the taper: http://shophorne.com/content/ox-horn-handle-slicing-knife-8?gclid=CJr-r8uKmtICFUhgfgodg00CmA

That's the color I'd like. My design is not that tapered, but if I found a piece then maybe I could alter design to fit material. 2 pieces would work as long as color matched

The answer you seek is in the link you posted,  says he uses Ox horns to make his handles, tangs are anchored.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 03:42:47 PM »
Thanks, but let me rephrase the question, since it was so confusing

Have you ever seen knife handle size blocks of Blonde horn for sale in any knife supply catalogs?

I found some direct from china, it' s a yak taper. 4cmx 20 cm is the larger end of their range. Of course it doesn't say and cannot ask the small diameter at the tip, or the exact color. Still looking if anyone has seen the thing in the USA.
Thanks for help so far.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
Thanks, but let me rephrase the question, since it was so confusing

Have you ever seen knife handle size blocks of Blonde horn for sale in any knife supply catalogs?

I found some direct from china, it' s a yak taper. 4cmx 20 cm is the larger end of their range. Of course it doesn't say and cannot ask the small diameter at the tip, or the exact color. Still looking if anyone has seen the thing in the USA.
Thanks for help so far.

My short answer to your first question is NO.

Second,  buy the Chinese offering and live with it.

Suggestion,  Elk Horn is prettier.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »
I agree Moe.  If elk horn is out of the question just go with bone.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »
The only problem with elk antler for hidden tangs is the porosity. I'm sure there are elk antlers that are less porous than others. Most I've seen would lead toward a generalized opinion of them being soft centered. Some degree of porous can be good. I drilled a pilot  hole through a moose antler and drove it on with a mallet. Slightly nerve wracking. It worked, held fast and probably very strong. Moose antler I've dealt with is not very porous at all, which helps a lot when shaping. You might run into some color change, that grayish purple nearer the center but it's not soft.

Bone is fine too. I've spoken before about how tenacious an epoxy filled elk leg can be. Most of all I don't want round, or sorta round.