Author Topic: New Horn  (Read 825 times)

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
New Horn
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »

Anyrate....gotten pretty rusty at horn work. Been away from my bench for quite awhile. Here is a new horn that I made for my brass barreled smoothbore.  Going to fully scrim it tomorrow.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: New Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
Nice color on that one. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »
That's much too fancy for pairing up with a trade gun.  An old  scabby, delaminating buffalo horn that the wolves had been chewing on would be more apropos! ;)

I agree with Stan, the color is gorgeous......craft smanship looks topknotch, too. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 04:49:26 AM »
Beautiful work, Giz!
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:08 AM »

Very nice work,  what did you use to dye it ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wannabe

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:53:15 AM »
amazing!

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
Moe...

I used Fieblings leather dye....dark brown.  The horn is going to be aged so as I'm scribing it the finish is being forced on the patina. I want it look about 40 years old when done.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »
What else, besides color and schrimshaw, are you going to do to it to give it the appearance of having been used for 40 years?

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
What else, besides color and schrimshaw, are you going to do to it to give it the appearance of having been used for 40 years?

patience grasshopper, what's 40 years?  That is really nice.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »

patience grasshopper, what's 40 years?  That is really nice.

Creek
I doubt that I've got that many left in me, Creek! :-\

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »

Been forcing the patina as the scrim work is being done. I want about a 40 year old look to it. Finished roughing out the scrim. Need to detail it out.

I did it all freehand, with a sail needle. I want this to look like a early original....so the usual layout and such was not on the plan. No Coulter tool this time.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »
It looks pretty old to me, and that is first class scrimshaw from what I can see of it.  Nice job.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 01:27:38 PM »
Nice looking piece of work gizamo. Being a bit rusty, sure seems to go well for you.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
Very nice 'old' horn, giz! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:    You said you used a sail needle to schrimshand your 'coat of arms' and slogan script on this particular horn and I have a question about that method.  I tried to do do a simple design on a small salt horn with a round stylus-type point one time and I had nothing but trouble! >:(    The point seemed to tear, rather than cut when I was trying to draw perpendicular to the grain of the horn.  That left a ragged edged line that looked bad when I inked the etching.  I have pretty good luck with etching on bone with a needle point, but end up going back to an exacto-type of blade for the little horn-scratching that I've done.  The blade seems to cut a finer line for me, yet you don't seem to have any trouble at all.  Is it the horn I was using or am I doing something else wrong? :shrug:   Probably. :-[

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »
Wolfy...

Start with a highly polished horn a lightly scrim the surface. Do it again and deepen your cut using short strokes while staying in your lines....

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
Wolfy...

Start with a highly polished horn a lightly scrim the surface. Do it again and deepen your cut using short strokes while staying in your lines....
Well, the horn DID have a high polish.....higher than I like to end up with in the finished horn, but I WAS striving for a deep enough cut on the first go-around, so that was probably the mistake I was making. :P    Now, if I can just remember the right way to do it next time.   Thanks for the tip, Giz! :hail: :cheers:

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »
I use a Colter tool normally. It will cut across grain if I am careful...

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »
I use a Colter tool normally. It will cut across grain if I am careful...
Is a Colter tool a brand name or a 'coulter' a sharp wheel-like disc.....like on a corn planter? :shrug:    I'm not being a smartass.....just being  a dumbass farmer. :P

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »
It's a brand name of a scribing tool. Really great for horn work. Very ergonomic design that's easy on your fingers. Especially when you use one for hours at a time. Which happens when your doing scrim. I think it's been a half hour but the clock says 2 hours have gone by. ;)

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »
Not a sail needle? I thought the answer was going to be use the type of needle with the Double edged spear point.

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:52 AM »
If you have a lot of cross grain cutting to do you can modify a exact blade. Simply make the point diamond shaped and sharpen the back side of the point.  Same thing with a sail needle.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 07:15:40 AM »
Moe...

I used Fieblings leather dye....dark brown.  The horn is going to be aged so as I'm scribing it the finish is being forced on the patina. I want it look about 40 years old when done.

Fieblings leather dye works as well as any,  the problem with those types of dye is that they don't penetrate the horn, not much does other than a long soak in a brine solution,  but the up side is you can refresh the color every now and then,  I've found with my horns that the longer they spend in the sunlight they take a yellowish almost aged ivory look,  when I make them now I choose raw horns and try to be conscious of their natural color, get a small bottle of British Tan,  that's my favorite aging dye, it gives a warmer finish than the dark brown.
 When I engrave my horns I first choose a period appropriate event in my area of the country,  being from southern New England I seldom run out of events to map out on my horns,  I'm within 30 minutes driving distance from Lexington, Concord, Bunker (Breeds) hill,  The cannons taken from Fort Ty were dragged a few hundred yards from my house on their way to Boston.
 Also, I stay away from the shiny Mexican horns being sold commercially on the market,  they are brittle, hard to work, and they crack easily.

Yours looks great, keep up the good work.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
If you have a lot of cross grain cutting to do you can modify a exact blade. Simply make the point diamond shaped and sharpen the back side of the point.  Same thing with a sail needle.

I've seen a few small manufacturers who turn out tungsten carbide dovetail marking knives. I'm not sure if that shape is the same diamond shape you mention. These are single bevel with a diamond point, which gives you two edges.

a thing like that might combine the TC of your scriber and a long lasting cutting edge. Just a thought :shrug:

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 02:11:50 AM »
When I bought the Coulter tool it came wit 5 replaceable tips. Many horns later I am still on the original one.  I think I'm set for life!