Author Topic: Cord/Shelter kit  (Read 364 times)

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Cord/Shelter kit
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
Do you folks have a dedicated bag like me. If I'm going out and need to consider cordage or shelter I take this.

It's a medic bag with all my options.

2 Tarps, poncho and a 7x9

2 ridge lines. 1 is a braided wally world cord and the other is 880

I'm missing several plastic stakes it seems. Had 6. Metal pegs and rings for locking cord for hanging. Leave the metal pegs out and save weight big time.

All fits in this nifty bag. Can be strapped to a pack in a jiffy.

Share your thoughts

Creek

Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Re: Cord/Shelter kit
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:41 AM »
I really like the bag. It all looks very heavy. Have you ever used zing it? I love the stuff. It's 2.2mm with a 600 lb breaking strength.

I almost bough 12" aluminum nails at the dollar store. I didn't because I thought they would shear fi I tried bending a shepherds hook and the head was to narrow around the edge to really hold any knots. They where nice though for a buck. I could have drilled a hole and pounded in a roll pin I suppose. Of course now they don't have them.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »
Nice idea, upthecreek!

I don't have anything comparable. 

For dayhiking, I carry a 5'x7' silnylon tarp and 50' paracord.  It consumes about 4"x6" inside my daypack.  Stakes come from the environment.

For overnights I carry a 1-person or 2-person tent.  It's essentially my "shelter in a bag."  The newish 1-person tent weighs approximately 3 lbs and packs amazingly small.  As I get more and more out of shape, technology decreases my pack weight.  Yeah Technology! :)

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
Creek that is a good idea.   

The cordage, paracord, rope, stakes, and two 20' lengths of synthetic winch line off my old ATV winch are in a small canvas bag.  I also keep a stake hammer in there too.  Weight isn't an issue since I live where I would bug out.  My bag hangs out in the shop with a shelter tarp and an old canvas tent.  There six plastic stakes and a dozen large metal spikes. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:37:59 AM »
Looks heavy, I have a tent that I think is under 5 lbs.
Other then that I use my poncho & linner with a 8x10 nylon tarp. Never carry stakes I just make wood ones as needed.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
I carry all that stuff in the truck...as well as several 'Blue" tarps.....all sorts of cordage and a 2 man dome tent.
Looks way to heavy for me...if I'm not planning on using it.

Carry along involves Milsurp poucho and BUSA 10 X 10 tarp....couple of  cheap survival blankets...some paracord.....
That it.

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
My tarp sack is not as 'complete' as yours, Creek.....I just use a heavy cotton coin bag that was used for transporting unsorted coins to a central bank for counting.  I carry the main tarp, some lengths of paracord, some bridge spikes, and I secure the neck of the bag with a short length of paracord tied with a POACHER'S KNOT! :hail: :lol:     It IS heavy, but I built it to carry in the ROCKY canoe country of northern Minnesota and southern Ontario.  It all goes in a big Duluth pack with the short-ton of other stuff we haul around. :shrug: :canoe:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
Do you folks have a dedicated bag like me. If I'm going out and need to consider cordage or shelter I take this.

It's a medic bag with all my options.

2 Tarps, poncho and a 7x9

2 ridge lines. 1 is a braided wally world cord and the other is 880

I'm missing several plastic stakes it seems. Had 6. Metal pegs and rings for locking cord for hanging. Leave the metal pegs out and save weight big time.

All fits in this nifty bag. Can be strapped to a pack in a jiffy.

Share your thoughts

Creek

Are you car or canoe camping ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
I use this outfit car camping. Covers a lot of bases. My real "sleep system" is a  hennessy rig that weighs next to nothing. Taking this bag is a comfort/convenience addition. It weighs 8 pounds. But I have used it when the heavens opened up with both rain and or wind and boy howdy was I happy to string it up. Helps keep the gear storage room organized and tidy as a bonus.

:tent:

Creek
Axes Rock!