Author Topic: Rubbing compound  (Read 424 times)

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
Rubbing compound
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
Can I use rubbing compound from the auto parts store to charge my strop? The answers on the internet are confusing. Some say you don't need to use rubbing compound on a leather strop, others say rubbing compound is not fine enough.
Nice matters

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Rubbing compound
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »
Truthfully, I don't know, but what I do know is the black compound sold by Knives Ship Free or DLT Trading works like a champ and if you use more than one bar of it in your lifetime well, you've lived an extremely long life and sharpened one hell of a lot of knives.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-sharpening-compound/

http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-1-bar-black-compound
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
Go to Lowes or Home Depot, maybe even Walmart, and buy a tube of Jewelers Rouge.  I have used it for 30 years and it is as good as almost anything else.  And very cheap.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
The little I know about it I would use the black compound.  It is the coarsest of the compounds and is good for removing a burr.  It doesn't polish, just cuts. 

I have a double sided strop with black on one side and green on the other.

I bought my stuff from this guy:

http://stropman.com/Stropping-compounds-Compound-Choice.htm

There is a description towards the bottom of the first page that addresses each  color.

Rubbing compound would polish a bit I think.  Here is a short discussion about it, and some other automotive stuff.
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/878901/
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
  Auto rubbing compound will dry out within an hour or two and be worthless,  it'll also screw up your strop.

Jewelers rouge, will work, so will valve grinding compound, I found an old can of valve grinding compound my dad had hanging around,  the can is double sided and has course in one side and fine in the other, I've been using that for a couple of years and it works great,  Harbor Freight carries a three bar set of metal polishing/grinding rouge for cheap money that works well also,  has the white, red, and green grits.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
I just use that cheap crap from Harbor Freight.  Seems to work as well as anything else. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:02:45 PM »
  Auto rubbing compound will dry out within an hour or two and be worthless,  it'll also screw up your strop.

Jewelers rouge, will work, so will valve grinding compound, I found an old can of valve grinding compound my dad had hanging around,  the can is double sided and has course in one side and fine in the other, I've been using that for a couple of years and it works great,  Harbor Freight carries a three bar set of metal polishing/grinding rouge for cheap money that works well also,  has the white, red, and green grits.
I'd say that was one heck of a shelf life!   :lol: :taunt:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 10:31:14 PM »
Sounds like good advice. Lots of choices, but probably not paint polishing compound. I don't really know what's in it or what size it is. It is difficult to imagine that it would be chock full of abrasive tough enough to be effective on steel. Flitz or some other kind of metal polish might work in a pinch, or worth trying if you have it laying around.

There's plenty of debate on clean leather. I think it does something. Maybe straighten, align the finest of burrs, but it doesn't actually sharpen imo. Taking a knife from 1k without even finishing it to shave, will shave in short order after chrom ox green strop. On plain leather - I don't think so.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »

I'd say that was one heck of a shelf life!   :lol: :taunt:

The stuff works great, hasn't dried out,  I'll check out the can and see if there's a date on it somewhere and get the name of it for you.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
Clover brand?
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:14:57 PM »
Go to Lowes or Home Depot, maybe even Walmart, and buy a tube of Jewelers Rouge.  I have used it for 30 years and it is as good as almost anything else.  And very cheap.

This is what Tandy Leather used to include in their kits for stropping swivel knives. Works great.

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
for $7 at Lowes you can get a Porter Cable brand set of 5 different grits of polishing compound -- little 1" x 1" cylinders.
I like the green.
the best compound I've found is the Flex Strop brand Gold -- woodworking shops sell a 3oz bar for $8-10. and that's enough for several people to share.