Author Topic: issues with dail-up  (Read 266 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
issues with dail-up
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
first i'd like to state i'm not stuborn but i don't like to ask for help much
unless i have to, ok. but i have dail up. so that puts me in a bad spot.
nearly all stuff i ask about i could go to youtube if i did not have dail up.
without normal internet i feel like a fifth class citizen. hell people in the bush
get high speed internet. and then someone told me do to some reason or another
you can't download youtube videos to dvd, is that so?

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
Re: issues with dail-up
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »
Downloading anything to DVD is a waste of time. It takes longer for the DVD to burn the file than it does to download it. Download it first to your hard drive, then burn it to DVD and delete the hard drive copy
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Downloading to your HD to watch later, with slow internet speeds, is better than trying to watch one when it stops very 10 seconds to buffer. For example I have DSL that's barely better than dial-up. I can download a 25 minute video in about 8 minutes. Watching it constantly buffering can take up to 45 minutes to watch.  I save all my downloaded vids to one folder, rename them when I save them, and can go back to review them any time I want.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
Not sure if satellite internet is something you'd want to consider or is available in our area, but here is a review/comparison http://www.reviews.org/internet-service/best-satellite-internet-providers/

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
If you are thinking of viewing videos, beware the data caps for wireless satellite Internet. I already checked it out in my area, and they were 2-6 Gb per month.  My DAILY use exceeds that!
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.