Author Topic: Worksharp Model #WSKTS  (Read 277 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Worksharp Model #WSKTS
« on: March 12, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »
I bought mine at least a year ago and I was not inspired to use it until our friend Moe posted about his Ken Onion model here --->

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=13608.0

I took the time to finally ready the instructions and I also watched the corporate videos here -->

He has several that are worth watching.

All that info was very important to my success. I really like it. Very easy to use once you get the hang of it and it works great. I started on a crappy kitchen knife for practice and it only took a few minutes to get the hang of it.

This is mine.

It comes with two different guides. Through the course of my sharpening I used both. It come with three different grit belts. I didn't use the coarse but I used both the medium and the fine polishing belt. Changing the belts and guides is a snap. By the time I was finished I had sharpened all my kitchen knives, about a dozen. Six blades I use for bushcrafty stuff, and four scissors.

Here is a set I've had a while that really needed some love. The pic really doesn't do justice to the improvement it made to the edges of these blades.

I was also able to put a nice flat grind on the spines of these knives. They finally throw good sparks off the fire steel!

Sharpening my scissors was the deal sealer for me. Good scissors are pricey but no matter what you invest they will dull with use. This little machine made them cut like new again and I am loving it.

I have not tried to sharpen an axe with them yet but the worksharp is suppose to be able to do that too. I'll try that at a later date. If you're on the fence about maybe getting one of these, I have nothing but praise for my unit. It probably paid for itself yesterday especially with getting all my scissors usable again. It has accessories available for it too for other specific needs. Different belts also. Great tool and not expensive in my opinion.

Questions or comments are welcome.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Worksharp Model #WSKTS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
  Thanks for the added review Creek,  I'm glad that someone else here is having fun with the Work Sharp, I just rescued a few of my vintage axe heads and hung them with new handles,  all that's left is to put a good edge on them,  I got all the chips and dings out of the edge, thinned the lips a little and started the bevels with a file,  I'm going to try to do the finish sharpening with the Work Sharp Sharpener.
  I was a bit apprehensive about spending the money for one,  but I'm happy that I did,  it's a very handy tool to have in a workshop.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.