Author Topic: Wolfy's Adze  (Read 517 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Wolfy's Adze
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »
Well, I have been enormously frustrated by the project I agreed to tackle for Wolfy to make an adze out of a hammer head.  It is such an odd shape, it is very difficult to grip it safely.  I finally got it to the final stage of heat treating.

I had no idea what alloy this was but it did not air harden.  I decided that based upon low normalized hardness that it was a low carbon shock resisting steel.  Normally I would oil quench it but the hammer head was just too big for my little oil jug and I did not want a shop fire.  So I gave it a water quench by repeatedly dipping it in my slack tub.  For all the months of effort to forge, file, grind, sand and finish, my reward was a quench crack right on the cutting edge.  Yup, now you know why my Screen Name is not Always Perfect.  Sorry Wolfy.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Re: Wolfy's Adze
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »
That's too bad about the crack QC, I'm really sorry for you!  Can you go through the forging process and forge weld it back, just to save your investment so far?

I have to say I really like the idea and how well the finished product came out, looks like it would serve one well.  I'd try and fix it if you can.  Really nice job on it for sure!!

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
Thanks Dano, but no, I will not try to fix it.  I dont know how far into the metal it goes.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
Well, that's a major bummer ain't it?  :-\     Not for me as much as it must be for YOU!   I didn't mean to cause you this much work and frustration when I asked you if you'd consider a project like this at your forge.  I certainly never would have asked you if I knew it was going to be that much work. 

Thank you for trying, though.....I really appreciate the effort! :hail:

Maybe you can make me a nail or two.....though, I suspect I may be looking for a different hammer to drive them with. :shrug: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 04:29:20 AM »
Wolfy, I don't regret a moment of trying to help a friend.  I regret failing in the attempt.
-John Denver

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »
I might try another one but I think I will cut the horns off.  I can get a better grip on it.  Failing that, I might just forge a couple of straight adze blades made to be mounted on a wooden handle. Hmmm.. that idea is growing roots....
-John Denver

Offline Dano

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
How about grinding it back to see how far the crack actually goes....it might end up being a small bowl adze, but still salvageable....just a thought.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
Yeah, I don't really need horns on it....I just need a small curved 'bowl adze' to rough out trenchers, bowls, etc.    I just thought leaving the modified claws on the tool's head would add some weight to help with the inertia of the adze in use....but what do I know? :shrug:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »
Wolfy, leaving the horns on is a good idea exceptf it makes holding on to it a real problem.  Cutting them off lets me grab the head by the eye hole.  My other idea will require a tree limb with a Y in it. You shorten one half of one of the Y arms and cut a flat into it.  Then mount the cutting tool onto the flat with cordage.  I think North Bay Forge makes them.
http://www.northbayforge.com/adz.htm
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »
Funny......I've actually made a tool like that for scraping deer hides.  The handle is a natural elbow from a section of an ash tree and a limb stub for holding the blade.  I made the ground & polished bull-nosed blade from a 1.25" wide by 3.25" piece of an old Nicholson file and bound it in place with rawhide.  The Sioux call it a "wahintke" but they usually use a heavy hunk of elk antler for the handle.......sadly, that's a scarce commodity around these parts. :-\

I can't see why I couldn't bind a curved-scoop bladed piece of forged iron to another appropriately shaped hunk of ash in the same manner. :shrug:

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
It's a shame what that mean ole water did. It certainly looks cool with the rams horns like appearance.

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »
that is a awesome looking adz. I quench mine in old cooking oil heated to about 120 degrees. Then I do three heat cycles in the oven. 380 degrees for a hour and then cooled enough I can handle it wit my bare hands. I do this three times.

here's a couple photos

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:02 PM »
Randy.....where in the heck have YOU been hiding?   Haven't seen you around since we were talking about the old blackpowder cartridge guns.   We need to get that thread going again.....it was fun!

BTW......NICE little adze.  :thumbsup:    Just what I had in mind! ;D

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »
I've been here there and yonder lol.........the blackpowder thread is fun.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »
In the mean time Wolfy,

You could always get a large bent gouge to get started. I'm sure you could find a work around to needing one after adzing but why?

really it's probably easier and more practical to work around the adze as a do without tool than a few well designed gouges. Large forsner, chainsaw or polish plane kerfing can waste a lot of material for the big ones, or just gouge and mallet.

The best part about the adze is one hand repositioning of the work, and the fact that it is a really nifty tool.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »
^Yeah, but the last part is the most important part. :chopwood:

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 12:32:46 AM »
I Know :cheers: