Author Topic: Ozark Trails Dutch Oven  (Read 2795 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Ozark Trails Dutch Oven
« on: March 28, 2017, 06:05:19 AM »
I've wanted a dutch oven for some time but haven't ran across one I wanted bad enough to come off the cash for. My mother alerted me to Walmart's version. I figured for 18$ I couldn't really go wrong.

It's 5 quart where as the lodge on the shelf right next to it is 6 quart. The Lodge is also 45$ more. No doubt a better product and made in America, but I'm a tighta$$ sometimes when it comes to things I won't use often. I decide to cook a batch of chili in it Sunday as it's maiden voyage. I knew I wouldn't mess that up.

Ready for the heat.

I hung it from the irons this go round. Worked like a good cook pot should.

It turned out delish!

Next is to try and do some baking. I'll report back on that event.

I give it a  :thumbsup:

Creek

Axes Rock!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: Ozark Trails Dutch Oven
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:11:19 AM »
That does look good for $18.  Funny you post this as I have been wanting to find one to be my designated outdoor fire pit pot.  I'm not finding any older ones cheap so this looks like a promising prospect.  What is with people today and pricing their used cast iron.  It's like they think cause it's an heirloom it was on the Mayflower or something and worth a small fortune.  Anyways... good post creek.  Can't wait to see how the baking goes.
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »
That's a heck of a price.  I've paid that used.

We discovered those parchment paper DO liners years ago.  Makes clean up soooo easy for some things.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
$18?  :shocked:    That's one heckuva deal in anyone's book! :thumbsup:    That's exactly what I paid for my first 12", 6 quart Lodge oven back in the late 1960s.....I remember because I was hesitant to spend almost two days worth of bale-hauling wages on it back then.  I'm going to have to check those things out, next time I'm down at Wallyworld......not that I need any more of them, but just to examine them for fit, finish, etc.  From your photos, they look much better than the Chinese Texsport ovens and very comparable to a Lodge in quality of casting and appearance and they even have a little pouring tab on the side, which the Lodge doesn't.  From the hieroglyphics on the box it looks like they may be made in Mexico.....does it say what their country of origin is anywhere on the box? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
Good stuff, Creek. Thanks for sharing.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
The box went out in the trash yesterday wolfy. I didn't look at origin. I assumed china to be honest. It has a nice smooth finish and the lid fits on fairly tight and doesn't wobble. The chili was good. The last flea market dutch oven I ran across was in real nice shape but the lady wanted 90$ for it. I thought at 18 I couldn't go wrong. Of coarse if I burn my biscuits...it might be a whole nother story!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 01:50:37 PM »
Looks fine to me for the $$.  My Griswold was a lot more than that, one of those came over on the Mayflower people I guess.

Chili looks great.   :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
Of coarse if I burn my biscuits...it might be a whole nother story!

Creek

Just keep the coals concentrated around the edges of the oven, both beneath the bottom and on the lid......and resist the temptation of putting ANY coals in the center of either one and they'll come out evenly browned with no burned bottoms or unevenly browned tops.  Don't forget to preheat it that way for a few minutes before popping the biscuits in......they'll raise better if you do. :thumbsup:

"I make damn good biscuits!" - Jeremiah Johnson ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips wolfy. I'm looking forward to cooking with it. Gives me another reason to build a fire.  :stir:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
I hate it when I burn my bottom.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
I hate it when I burn my bottom.

I'm getting a bad mental picture...

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
China.... stamped right on the bottom.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
Looks like it cooks just like it was supposed to.   :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »
I've picked up some Ozark Trail stuff over the years.  Their quality control measures seem to be up to snuff.  This item seems no different.  Thanks for the review.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
that looks nice creek and the chili too.
thanks for posting the article, it made me drag out my
old dutch oven got to remember to bring it out to the camp this year.
it's a tite top dutch oven made in usa pat,d mar 16 20 and a B mark under that.
and it's 5'in deepx 12'in wide. bought a dutch oven cookbook at the rondy a few years back
have to go dig that out now.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:31:15 PM by hayshaker »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 07:53:46 PM »
No need to go looking for that Dutch oven cookbook, hayshaker.   We've already got a 570 page copy with over 1100 recipes right here at B&B.....

http://www.camp-cook.com/postings/campfire_cooking.pdf

:stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir:

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
thanks wolfy but after reading that thread you did on dutch oven cooking in the food section
i'm gunna have sourdough biskits dancing around 12'in pots of cowboy stew in my sleep. whew.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
Looks good! Those liners are great for stuff with a lot of acid like tomato sauce. Also helps clean up after pretty much anything. I like the ability to just toss the liner (or burn it in the fire) and just wipe the inside clean.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 08:14:39 AM »
Went to pick up a prescription drug at Walmart. Wandered back to the sporting goods department and saw, on a shelf, the last Ozark Trail dutch oven in stock.  Bought it for $17.82 plus sales tax.  The box looked like it had been drug behind a truck on a gravel road but the oven is perfect and unused.  First chance I get there will be biscuits.  Thanks to Creek for the thread that made me aware of this item.  It won't replace my Griswold but it will be used in the campfire a lot more.  Also thanks to Wolfy for reposting the recipe section. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 09:35:40 AM »
Looks good! Those liners are great for stuff with a lot of acid like tomato sauce. Also helps clean up after pretty much anything. I like the ability to just toss the liner (or burn it in the fire) and just wipe the inside clean.

PW, was going to say the same. I love anything with tomato's or sauce, but it creates problems with my cast iron.
Thanks Creek for the review and the reminder I haven't made a pot of my famous "Spyder's roadkill O'possum chili"
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
We've never had a problem cooking beans, tomato-based chili or lasagna in our OLD Dutch ovens, but the lightly or newly seasoned and factory-seasoned ovens can (and sometimes will) present a problem when cooking those types of things.  I'd hold off cooking those types of things in a newer piece of ironware, but after the seasoning gets good and hard from frequent use it gets almost impossible to damage.  Baking biscuits or bread is about the best way I've ever found to build up that good hard seasoning in a newer oven.  You can even wash them with mild dishwashing stuff like Dawn without concern......my mom did it for as long as I can remember and we're still using her well-seasoned stuff almost daily.  They've never had to be re-seasoned and you can almost see your face in the bottoms of her chicken fryer and Dutch ovens.  We usually just rinse with hot water and dry them real well before storing in the sliding drawer under the kitchen range.  We NEVER oil them for storage, either.....they will get sticky and rancid unless you use mineral oil for that type of thing.  :stir:

Directly from the Lodge website.......

Are there any types of food that are not recommended to be cooked in cast iron cookware?
Foods which are very acidic (i.e. beans, tomatoes, citrus juices, etc.) should not be cooked in a cast iron utensil until the cookware is highly seasoned. The high acidity of these foods will strip the seasoning and result in discoloration and metallic tasting food. Wait until cast iron is better seasoned to cook these types of foods.

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »
I'm glad I could help. If the wind dies down I'm going to cook some biscuits in the morning. Today was beautiful but windy. Wanting to cook over a fire is a good thing.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
Be sure to take your camera along.....biscuits in a Dutch oven are about the most beautiful thing I can think of right now! :drool:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
So.......I take it there aren't any biscuits, yet? :shrug: :coffee:

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
Naa, not yet. We are under a state wide burn ban. Patience grasshopper.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
That does look good for $18.  Funny you post this as I have been wanting to find one to be my designated outdoor fire pit pot.  I'm not finding any older ones cheap so this looks like a promising prospect.  What is with people today and pricing their used cast iron.  It's like they think cause it's an heirloom it was on the Mayflower or something and worth a small fortune.  Anyways... good post creek.  Can't wait to see how the baking goes.

I'm pretty sure the high prices placed on vintage cast iron cookware is no more than supply and demand at work,  when I was younger I could find vintage cast iron Dutch ovens, skillets, camp ovens, and grills for cheap money at any yard sale, junk shop, or flee market around.
  When Aluminum and later Stainless steel cookware became popular, mostly do to it's lighter weight, cheap price, and ease of cleaning many house holds got rid of their old cast iron,  but in the later part of the 1900's there was a resurgence of interest in using cast iron cookware and people began building sets and collecting any kind of vintage cookware they could find,  now days you have to search out antique shops, e-bay, and yard sales to have a chance to find a usable piece, and a wad of cash in hand to buy it.
  I grew up with cast iron cookware, my parents and grand parents used it almost exclusively, most of my cast iron pieces are inherited from them,  and we'll pass them down to our kids,  I've given away most of the spares and doubles that I've collected over the years to our kids and grand kids,  but I'd no more think of selling my vintage cast iron cookware than I would think of selling my kids.
  So,  why is vintage cast iron cookware so scarce and why is it so expensive,  it's because it's no longer made, it's getting harder to find,  and people are cooking with it again,  the most popular today is Lodge Cast Iron,  mostly made in the USA,  and great quality,  but no way near the quality of Vintage Griswold or the older Wagner Ware Sidney stuff. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline ElderMcCoy

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
I have 2 Lodge 14" ovens given me by a friend some years ago. Haven't used them in a while, but no way they are leaving my place, except for one of my daughters. Ah, nothing like hot biscuits and coffee by the campfire on a chilly mountain morning.

Costco had an enamelled Dutch oven for a decent price by today's standards, and with good reviews. We have the Lodge version which sees a lot of stove top use. Easy to clean and no worry about trashing the seasoning. Great for cooking dishes that need long and slow, either on stove top or in oven,even when it's raining outside. 

ElderMcCoy

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »
  For those wanting to get into cast iron cookware but can't afford paying for vintage pieces at antique store prices or even the medium priced Lodge offerings,  those offered by the bigger box stores like Walmart,  Bass Pro, and Cabela's usually carry their own House Brand cast iron at really affordable prices,  dirt cheap if you find them on sale.
  Be aware, most any off brand cast iron cookware you find in those venues will be made in China or other Asian country,  but, given the simple formula and casting methods for cast iron it's probably going to cook as well and be as safe as American or European made cookware. 
  One good place to look for discount deals on cast iron is Home Goods stores,  Home Goods is a chain of stores owned by TJ Max as an outlet for selling overstocks at discount prices,  most of my home kitchen cookware,  bakeware, and high end cutlery come from Home Goods,  back about ten years ago I bought a couple of La Cruesett pieces there for about $30.00 each marked down from $150.00 each,  a few weeks later I went back to pick up another Enamel coated Dutch oven and they were all sold out, but they had a bunch of others made in China under the name brand of Authentic Kitchen,  the prices ranged from $19.00 for the three quart to $39.00 for the eight quart oven,  I took a chance and purchased three different sizes (small, med, and large)  for a total of under $90.00,  name brand ovens at street prices would have easily run $500.00 or more for the same sizes,  they've been just as good as the more expensive brands.
  About the only complaints I've had with Chinese made cast iron cookware is that most of their skillets and cook pots are allot thicker than American and European cast iron cookware and therefore heavier,  but the casting finish is usually on a par with Lodge cast iron.
  One exceptional piece that I also bought from Home Goods is a Cuisinart brand 12"x12" ribbed grill pan that sells for $139.00 at JC Penny,  it's enamel coated inside and out,  it's been my dedicated grill pan for all of my steaks, burgers, chops, and chicken for allot of years,  I paid about $25.00 for it,  I later found out that Cuisinart cast iron cookware is made in China.

*Note,  like everything else,  when buying cast iron cookware you have to know what to look for and be choosy,  if it looks like poor casting pass it by, but if it looks like good quality it usually will be.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 03:23:40 PM »
I believe the Chinese pioneered the use of cast iron cookware several thousand years ago.  The rough texture of todays CI is intentional.  It creates a better sustrate for the factory seasoning to adhere to.

I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 07:26:42 PM »
If an axe was a dutch oven I'd spend 150$ on it without a concern. I don't buy, sell, trade dutch ovens. I just wanted one to cook in. I've used mine twice now. The second time was a big fresh pork tenderloin that was "to die for". I'll buy a super cool vintage USA made one. I just ain't found it yet. I really like this one in the meantime. Cooking your own meals is a good thing no matter where your cooking vessels origin is.

Creek   
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 07:16:53 AM »

Another suggestion about cast iron Dutch Ovens,  allot of people think that to cook or bake successfully outdoors with a Dutch Oven that it has to be a camp oven (with the legs),  I have about eight cast iron Dutch Ovens, all but one are "home" ovens,  but in fact a flat bottom Dutch oven works just fine outdoors,  I use my "home" ovens allot more than I do my camp oven.
  Sometimes I use a trivet to get them up off the coals,  most often I just prop them up on a few stones and gather the coals under the oven or form a ring of coals around the bottom depending on what I'm cooking, and I usually carry a ring of hardware cloth to place on the lid to hold the coals in place, if I had to choose between the two I'd grab the flat bottom ovens most of the time,  so if you're looking for an outdoor Dutch oven don't let the lack of legs keep you from buying a nice oven at a good price.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
You can buy 'hybrid' ovens, too.....flat bottoms with no legs for use with homemade trivets or three metal tentpegs, bridge spikes, or railroad spikes AND the camp-oven-type lids.  :banana:     Those are really the best of both worlds, I think.....VERY versatile for both stovetop use and you get the handier lid for coal-retention at the campsite.  No worries about broken legs, easier storage & packing, longer legs for bigger natural charcoal use if you want.....AND you can carry TWO trivets inside the oven where you'll always have them if you need an extra for a lid-stand or different leg-lengths for varying soil conditions. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: