Author Topic: backpacks, and more long read.  (Read 577 times)

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
backpacks, and more long read.
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
     I've posted here about my edc grab bag. reply number 48...

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=4093.msg97236#msg97236

It was made by East Sport and a very good bag. They have some nice quality packs for cheap.

http://www.eastsport.com/shop-fuel/fuel-force-tech-collection.html

So I was looking for something bigger for all my necessary gear. I found this bag at a truck stop for $29.99 on clearance at $19.99. It is 22"x16" by about 8". It has two small pockets on the top flap, two side pockets big enough for binoculars on one side and a water bottle on the other. There is a large pouch the the back too. It has 3, 23 OZ water bottles in it in this picture.

I have it loaded with a bunch of stuff for an overnight. Hammock with straps, Tarp with stake bag and guy lines, mess kit, fire kit, katadyn hiker, nimbellwill stove, and still room for more.

It rides well with all the stuff in it. No hot spots but it does rub my lower back a little. No idea what it weighs. It is thick canvas 40%cotton, 60% polyester.

There is a slim pocket stitched to the top that the wood stove fits perfectly in.

I am thinking of removing the pockets and sewing on webbing for Molle attachments. I'm still looking at cheap packs because this one will be more canoe/bike bag. I want something a little bigger and cheaper for long hikes on foot. So i stumbled upon this puma pack. There are two websites selling them at two different prices and sizes.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/packs-duffles-bags/cargo-travel-bags/russian-leopard-camo-backpack.html ---- 27"x20"x12" at $16.99
https://colemans.com/shop/pouches-bags/polish-military-puma-pattern-backpack/ --- 25"x14"12" at $14.95

So let me review this little wood stove. I like it a ton. Today I tried the Dave Canterbury method of putting the bottle right in the fire. Nope. I let it run 10 minutes with good fire and it was hot enough for cocoa but cool enough to chug down. I had to keep a near constant blow into the fire mostly because the wood is all very damp out there. It heats way faster with the bottle on top but I left the bike spokes home and didn't have any extra cordage in the bag. DUH!!!

I do think that fish spreader thing Dave uses is a good idea.

Last thing to review is this mess kit. I picked it up at goodwill for $0.99 I bough both. There are two small plates and a cup in each. I think they were old as they had a leather strap with a metal buckle. They were worn bad so I sewn grosgrain onto steel rings to cinch them closed.

Inside is my brasslite alchy, 2 small chamois, a small bottle of denatured, a pot gripper (works with the Bottle too), a bottle of dawn dish soap, a magnesium bar, plastic fork and spoon, Three very expensive 8"x4" dehydrated sponges, and small waxed cardboard fire starter (webber?). The plates work well as Frisbee's too lol! I don't carry the plates tho. I should have used the brasslite inside the wood stove. Good cocoa though.

Land O' Lakes Chocolate Supreme.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:43:32 PM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: backpacks, and more long read.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
MAN.....you got a heckuva good deal on that pack! :thumbsup:     Personally, I'd leave the pockets on it just the way it is, but each of us have different needs......plus you'd miss out on the fun of customizing it for that 'one-of-a-kind' pack that all of the rest of the guys in the truck aren't carrying. ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
Yeah, I like the pockets too. Not sure what I can do to attach the foam mat and sleeping bag ?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:30:18 PM »
I like it too. I'm a fan of modding to so I vote.. Have at it! The stove reminds me of the sixfooter stove I love. Have you thought of making you a small grill to go across the top vs sitting your can directly in the flame?

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
Good pack.  Great pack when you mention the price, even at the regular price. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »
I like it too. I'm a fan of modding to so I vote.. Have at it! The stove reminds me of the sixfooter stove I love. Have you thought of making you a small grill to go across the top vs sitting your can directly in the flame?

Creek

I usually lay bicycle spokes across it. Now, they too are in the bag! I traded my sixfooter for some books. I traded something else for this one. It's thinner and lighter but just as functional.

I picked up some cool webbing loops that have a cinch buckle attached at the dollar store. I just have to try to figure out the best location to stitch them on so they ride right with the bedroll.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 05:52:05 AM »
Great post, well done.
Nice matters