Author Topic: Canoe suggestions  (Read 1025 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Canoe suggestions
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
I'm looking for a new canoe. The Wenonah heron has caught my eye. It is short but 2 seats. Seems manageable as a solo as well and is fairly light weight. I need something that is easier to manage by myself when Karen and I go out. The green bean is about 80 lbs and I need something lighter. HELP.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Canoe suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:43:52 PM »
We had a Wenonah 17' Wenonah model for a time.  Construction and materials were top notch.  It was a pretty good river canoe and we used it on several western Montana rivers with good results.  It turned well and was stable unless overloaded.  The Heron looks to be a good design for about anything short of hauling really large loads.   

The last few years we have had a 14' two person canoe and only use it on the reservoir on our farm so my experience with it in moving water is nil.  I can tell you that the 14' canoe is adequate for two people fishing and paddling around the reservoir and the lighter 16' Wenonah would be better in all regards.  I like the layout of the basic model better than the Kevlar models (simply the lack of the aluminum cross pieces) but that 36 pounder would be a joy to have.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:07:17 AM »
You can hardly go wrong with a Wenonah.  The Heron looks good for what you say you're looking for.  Less weight.  Day tripping tandem.  Maybe solo overnight (Just sit in the bow seat backwards).  Store out of the sun.  36" width will be stable.  No blue ribbons at the local races but  that's not what you're looking for.  It certainly won't be behind the pack!

I've been jonsin' for a Wenonah for years.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:01:02 AM »
I'm still saving that Kevlar Wenonah Solo Advantage for you, Tony.  :canoe:      Stop by at your earliest convenience. ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:06:08 AM »
Okay, not the answer you're looking for but hear me out. You know I'm a cheap S.O.B.!!!

There is a proven method of building very cheap and extremely tough long lasting boats out of foam. This is the newest method called PMF, Or Poor Man's Fiberglass.

Do I have you're attention yet?

Here's the process short and simple. gorilla glue your layers of 2" pink foam together. Shape it in the desired hull design. Coat the whole thing with tightbond II diluted 50% with water. Lay your cotton bed sheets on there and squeegee the air pockets from the center out. Let it cure then paint it your favorite color. Now it's finished go play.

I'm trying to design a camper shell using this method. I want ti to be double use as a stand alone cabin in the back woods and a slide on for my car trailer for on the go camping.(with the wife)

At 7' wide, 8' tall, and 12' long will cost me $500. A small canoe should be less than $50 and about 5 hours build time.

Here's some proof of concept.

http://www.instructables.com/member/rowerwet/?show=INSTRUCTABLES

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=7afeafd9817658f4efe1203e443dfc71
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Online OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
LOL!  This is interesting and hilarious at the same time!  Does the foam have to be pink?

Okay, not the answer you're looking for but hear me out. You know I'm a cheap S.O.B.!!!

There is a proven method of building very cheap and extremely tough long lasting boats out of foam. This is the newest method called PMF, Or Poor Man's Fiberglass.

Do I have you're attention yet?

Here's the process short and simple. gorilla glue your layers of 2" pink foam together. Shape it in the desired hull design. Coat the whole thing with tightbond II diluted 50% with water. Lay your cotton bed sheets on there and squeegee the air pockets from the center out. Let it cure then paint it your favorite color. Now it's finished go play.

I'm trying to design a camper shell using this method. I want ti to be double use as a stand alone cabin in the back woods and a slide on for my car trailer for on the go camping.(with the wife)

At 7' wide, 8' tall, and 12' long will cost me $500. A small canoe should be less than $50 and about 5 hours build time.

Here's some proof of concept.

http://www.instructables.com/member/rowerwet/?show=INSTRUCTABLES

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=7afeafd9817658f4efe1203e443dfc71
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:46:30 AM by OutdoorEnvy »
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
You gotta admit that it's an easily workable and CHEAP way to end up with any hull design that your heart desires, though! :coffee:    Great post, xj! :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »
 Does the foam have to be pink?

No, it does have to be xps. expanded polysterene foam. It comes blue sometimes. I hear this can be hard to find in southern states but it can be ordered and shipped to store.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
I was ready to build an Airolite and then I got a dog. I figured a dogs toe nail or fish fin would poke a hole in it.
   Not very heavy though.

http://www.gaboats.com/

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
It appears to me these are too fragile for heavy use or wanting to get back to where you put in with a reasonable chance for success.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
I believe the airolite boats use the same covering method as airplanes. dacron and dope.

Titebond II dries into a hard plastic like surface. It could be possibly stronger than the doped dacron. I bet a 2 layer skin of cotton bedsheet on that same frame would be nearly indestructible and nearly as lightweight.

I guess it doesn't need the expensive airplane dope. The FAQ say's...

A couple of coats of exterior acrylic latex paint or water born varnish are the simplest.

HMMMM, This is getting interesting. Who'll be the first to build something?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:01:15 PM by xj35s »

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 07:46:28 PM »
I want to buy a boat... not build one... I do appreciate all information though.

:canoe:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
Have used a 17' Grumman alum. canoe for many, many years.....78#..
A young man can portage, with portage bar alone pretty easy.

Not pretty even when new, not pretty now, painted camo,... so you can't see it hanging on the rafters in the tractor shed....

Duck hunting, fishing lake and rivers.... river running Cat I, mostly, some Cat 2.....
Carries a lot of gear for canoe camping....sleep under with tarp pretty well...

Not tippy, low pointed ends (doesn't catch wind as much)..so one person can handle it with a cooler for balance.
Puts up with a 100 pound lab going nuts and baling out....as well a a noobie that shifts his weight around waaaay to much.
With stand .38 snake shot on the bottom.....

Friends paddle around in their shiny fiberglass, Kevlar and look really good.....The come hunting and river running with me.

Look used,.... looked up some pricing for new as of late....and about crapped my self....
This one is about identical to mine.

http://directboats.com/170moalca.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=60306043005
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 04:55:57 AM »
Yeah,  I've got 2 Grumman aluminums.  One is 44 years old to me.  Mom bought it used.  Still going strong.  My complaints about aluminum are.
1. Loud.  You can't help it.  I can hear your paddle hitting the gunnel 4 bends away.
2. Cold.  Remember the Christmas Story scene of the kids tongue stuck to the flagpole.  And southern folk really don't    understand the saying, "Freeze your azz off."  like when you paddle in the winter on that metal seat. 
3.  Keel.  Most of them have a keel that protubes downward right down the centerline.  Needed for strength.  Good for tracking.  But drift over something sideways and you going to get a jolt when it catches.

Still.  There's a bunch of them out there and they sometimes sell at a "I just want it out of the yard." price.  I still paddle mine a couple times a year.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:16 AM »

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »
I loved my aluminum canoe. I gave it to my son in law and he loves it. He's also 31 and can handle the 80ish lbs better than me. I kept the greenbean cause it's 12 lbs lighter.  Right at 70 lbs. I'm hoping find something in the 45 ~ 55 lb range that can take rocky rivers that we have around here. Also hoping to keep it under 2500$.

Great site there xj. Lots of boats.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »
Don't be afraid of Kevlar composites on your rivers.  They're pretty strong.  Of course not the ultra light ones.  But they paddle expeditions in Kevlar.  They wouldn't if they broke easily.  I have 3 composite kayaks that I beat the chit out of in SE whitewater that's known to be bony.  You should be able to find what you're looking for.  Google stuff like VA paddling clubs.  You might find a lightly used one someone is selling.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 12:47:46 PM »
Still have the cedar strip 17' very lite

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
That is such a classic design.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
Oh I'd love to have it but I can't collect canoes. My honey indulges me enough and is on board for a really good new boat. I just got to figure out the best one for us.

:canoe:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
creek how bout a folding deer cart or used golf caddy you will need a long exstention pole though.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »
Still have the cedar strip 17' very lite

That is gorgeous......Love it.
How much does it weigh?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »
Around 50lbs. Thanks she rides real nice.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Online OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
I don't have much experience with different models but one company I have oogled at is the Swift Canoes.  They just look sweet and folks seem to love them.  You might give them a browse creek.  They make quite a few models.

Online OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
How's the search going creek?

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 04:38:55 PM »
Sorta been set on the back burner. Trying to get some trees close to the house removed and a patio built. Can't get anybody to do . Been putting some $ in my truck too. Wenonah is putting out some new models with a new light weight material kinda like my Mohawk shortly so we're kinda waiting on that as well. We'll get it sorted out.

Creek
Axes Rock!