Author Topic: Been busy, pic heavy...  (Read 1162 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Been busy, pic heavy...
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »
I have been busting my butt to get so much done. Lets start with the moose, Xena is 4 years old and started limping so I built a ramp from a very heavy pallet. I got it from a counter top company, it was used to ship granite slabs.

She's almost 200 lbs and NOT FAT.

Pleas excuse my sewing mess.

I also finished the dining room floor and am starting the living room. it's coming along nicely.

Now for the newest D.I.Y. Lunacy. I'm trying to make a light weight net tent to use with or without my hammock. This will go up with or without my big tarp as well. Let me know what you think.

The big tarp.

zipper needs some webbing added to the ends to close the gap. I think I'll make end walls out of ripstop to get the ends closed. Not even sure how to stitch this all together....

I also have new knobby tires on the lawnmower, cleaned the yard in prep for a rear deck, and recently acquired a motor for my 1971 craftsman garden tractor. I will be installing that as soon as the weather dries up. I got almost $200 for the metal I took to the scrap yard too!!

I need a vacation!!

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
Re: Been busy, pic heavy...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
looks good.

i have an idea for the end flaps... full disclosure though, it's just an idea, i've never tried it myself so it may or may not work....

cut the ripstop that you need to fill the gap, the whole triangle.
sew a zipper down the middle of the ripstop.
unzip the zipper and burn/cut the ripstop to make a zipper hole.
then sew the rip stop to one side of one end
then sew the rip stop to the other side

repeat for the other side, if it worked...
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »
also, here's a really good diy net tent write up
 https://www.yamamountaingear.com/diy/net-tent/

"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
When you say you've "been busy" you weren't kidding.....that's a lot of irons in the fire all at one time!  Have you had "the moose" to the vet?  Sounds like it could be hip dysplasia.....I hope not! :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »
Funny...the "irons in the fire" phrase came to me, too.  You are as bad as I am...start a new project before the first one is done.  :-\
I'd get Xena check out, too.  I lost a Malamute/Wolf xbreed who hit 175 lbs at 7 months old and suddenly couldn't get up without screaming.  The x-rays of his hips were heart breaking.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 07:31:03 PM »
I'm digging the sleep system. I'm glad I have a little dawg.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »
Thanks. Xena has trouble with her front wrists. sometimes hold one  or the other up for a while. Then she's good again. She just bled off so in about 6 weeks she will go in for spaying. It's gonna be costly with her weight but it needs to be done. She needs a heart worm test too. Never had one. She gets bad anxiety, drools a lot, and often vomits when riding in a moving vehicle. I did find she ride good in the back of the truck with my pallet sides on it. Seemed very happy back there, like maybe she's claustrophobic..

Yes, i do like the idea of zippered ends. There is a huge community garage sale event this weekend. I'll dig up some cheap stuff for the zippers. I'd like to find an old tent for the fiberglass poles too.

I'll add that the Honda is done and I've been riding it around. It has a huge flat spot in the mid range throttle position. I replaced the coil and re checked the timing. I even pulled the carb and dropped the circlip down a slot to richen the mix, it helped. I'm going to pull the carb and run a cotton wick down the high jet to make sure it's clean. If that doesn't work I'll raise the high needle one more notch. Good compression, no smoke, no leaks, and starts on the fist kick!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:51:15 AM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
Busy guy. 

I like the flag on the wall.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
I have had a great deal of trouble trying to upload to photobucket. It keeps going back to the login screen even after acknowledging that I have logged in. It does it every time I click upload. These photos are shared using Imgur. Much faster and easier. We'll see how long they stay up!

I have to give a shout out to my brother in law. He gave me this 8HP Briggs. I have it all mounted and it runs great. I need a belt that's about 1 1/2" longer as it will not disengage right now.

I actually measured, drilled, tapped, and then bolted the engine on. Kind of proud of myself that the holes all lined up perfectly and torqued down tight. As this came off a snowblower I don't believe it has any generator. It does have a starter that plugs into 110v. I don't think I'll need it, it starts easily on the first pull.

For a reference, that angled piece in front of the fuel tank bolted to the head of the HH100. It is a much bigger engine for only 2 HP difference.

I am now going to tear down this original Tecumseh HH100. I'm going to guess the cylinder is egg shaped and in need of a bore. My brother did hone and replace the rings 20 years ago. I know for certain the connecting rod needs attention. We'll see if I can get it rebuilt.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 05:21:19 PM »
Nice job.

You do understand that Tecumseh is an old Indian word for "leaks oil"?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
Does that Briggs have an air filter?  Most snow blowers don't....might need one on a mower. :rofl:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »
Nice!
Wish I knew about meshinery.  In my jargon, "drill and tap" means drill a hole and tap the burrs flat with a hammer....  :lol:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 06:15:48 AM »
No air filter and you are correct. I do have an airbox that will bolt on.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
Okay, here we go. At the Radisson housing community garage sales we found this large stack of finished tongue and groove for $1. There are a bunch of smaller pieces in the box too.

When we pulled the carpet it left this section on the wall exposed to the chip wood. It is kind of a cross between the cedar walls and the Oak laminate floor. I hope it doesn't look stupid, the carpet going up the wall did I thought.

I am going to cut it so it goes on vertical and will be perpendicular to the flooring, but it'll match the cedar wainscoting direction. If there is enough left over, I'd like to wrap/box in the step with it as well.

WOW! Yes, I need a garage and yes that's a welder in the kitchen!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
Dayum, you have been and are, busy.  That will look nice on that step down. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
If it's true that "busy hands are happy hands" yours must be giddy! :rofl:

Nice work on some pretty involved projects! :hail: :cheers:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »
Thank you. Yesterday the wife say's we need to paint the room before we finish the floor. Yup, it is a good idea I guess. We ruined the walls with the fire wood. She mudded the sheet rock and sanded it for paint.  I still have to go over the edges a little better. Not sure it's as bright as I wanted it to be.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:31 PM »
I was getting very disappointed with the garden tractor. no power. I thought 2 HP can't make this much difference. So today I decide to mess with it a little more to diagnose maybe a carb problem.

I opened the high jet a 1/4 turn. WHOA!!!!!! Amazing power difference. I can pop wheelies now. The moose (Xena) bit the front tire and now the tube is coming out of the center of the tire. She stopped the tire and lifted it off the ground. All while running backwards. Yes she still has all her teeth.

God help anyone that comes in when we aren't home...

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »
The piece I've been looking for the last few weeks!

Now the Bike, floor, buggy, and lawnmower are done.  I need to do the 1/4 round trim along the walls and finish up the short wall by the kitchen. Then I can officially call it camping season.

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
That is a whole bunch of work, you deserve some woods time.
Nice matters

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »
Looks great!

:cheers:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
Nice work!   :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »
You must be looking to ask the wife for something REALLY big this time.......and you deserve it! :lol:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 12:58:21 AM »
Thank you. New furniture coming soon I hope.

We picked up 2 baby mattresses and I'll be building a wide couch for the dogs out of wood pallets. Also want to build a corner nook love seat with a bookshelf behind it. Sort of kneel on it grab a book then sit and read.

I still have 15 feet of concrete pad on this end of the house. I wanted to make the a sun room on the south side and a library on the north side. Not going to now because we stack the firewood on there. Maybe someday.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »
When we first bought the house we argued that the windows weren't sealed and air came right through. They inspected them and assured us they were right and it was the "weep holes" causing the draft.

Forward a few years and we had an energy audit done while contemplating solar panels. Low and behold the windows leaked. A LOT!!! It was the only fault that we could fix. The recessed lighting was the other issue but there is only 8" of space to work with in the ceiling.

When we took the cedar boards off he windows we could easily look all the way to the vinyl siding all the way around the frames. So I bought a professional spray gun for great foam and sealed them all up good. It was expensive but I kept breaking the plastic nozzles on the small cans rendering them garbage while still quite full. The nozzle was $41, $12 can of foam, and $8 for a can of gun cleaner.

So we now have our new furniture and the window curtains. Now I just need to clear the clutter and it'll be home sweat home again...

The bottom left corner is the baby mattress I wanted to make the dog bed out of. They won't lay on it. I don't know why, maybe the plastic wrinkling sound it makes? Soooo, no dog bed but they aren't allowed on the new furniture!

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
Yeah, I always liked the Stars and Bars.  Not sure why folk are so unhappy with it.  Plenty of African slaves were owned by people up north but nobody remembers it.  Only a tiny fraction of the Confederates held slaves and they were mostly the wealthy land owners.  The ones who fought got conned into fighting for an institution they had no part in.  Heros need to be remembered.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver