Author Topic: water bottle gourds  (Read 365 times)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
water bottle gourds
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
wasn't sure where to post this but was wondering if any of the members grow water bottle gourds. I visited Idaho a few years back and was given a bottle gourd, been going to make a canteen from it but I take procrastination to a new level at times. Anyhoo I'm going to work on it this weekend and thought about planting the seeds, barely have the 120 days to maturity but it is close if the weather co-operates.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Re: water bottle gourds
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
wasn't sure where to post this but was wondering if any of the members grow water bottle gourds. I visited Idaho a few years back and was given a bottle gourd, been going to make a canteen from it but I take procrastination to a new level at times. Anyhoo I'm going to work on it this weekend and thought about planting the seeds, barely have the 120 days to maturity but it is close if the weather co-operates.

DW is a gourd artist.....all sorts of cool gourds.

I don't grow them any more....but have in the past.
Bird house gourds, dipper gourds, apple gourds, flat canteen gourd......
Have a couple of the canteen gourds in process....cleaning them out a waxing the inside is a real PITA.

Biggest problem is to get them dry without rotting.....
Have wiped with bleach, left dirty, put in garage, left on heated porch, ....tried about anything you can think of...
Some dried, some rotted.

THe asked the farmer that she gets them from these days....
He says I just leave them in the field...but I grow enough of them...I get enough ggo ones to sell....
Few or the gourds I have gotten from that farmer.

She paints them as well....

I'd try some seeds they are a warm weather crop.

Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
I planted some birdhouse gourds one time.  They took over the whole garden patch and even pulled the fence down.  VERY heavy and PROLIFIC! :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider:

I made lots of birdhouses and a couple of canteens lined with melted paraffin....the water still tasted weird. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »
I planted some birdhouse gourds one time.  They took over the whole garden patch and even pulled the fence down.  VERY heavy and PROLIFIC! :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider:

I made lots of birdhouses and a couple of canteens lined with melted paraffin....the water still tasted weird. :-\

I tried growing birdhouse gourds last year. A couple of them got big enough for maybe a hummingbird...and then rotted on the vine.  Actually that was my second attempt.  I'm pretty sure I'm done trying in my climate.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
How do watermelons do up there? :shrug:

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »

How did you get the inside scrapped and waxed?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 09:32:26 PM »
I sent you a PM, but I'll share with the rest of the world, too. ;D

This is what I did:  Take a handful of ball bearings and stick 'em inside the hole in the dried gourd.  Start shakin' the heck out of it.  Then start shaking what breaks loose out through the hole.  As the cavity starts getting larger, add a few more ball bearings and try to get them whirling around on the inside.  When you get that happening, the 'stuff' really starts breaking loose and you can start shaking the whole mess out through the hole.  Keep doing that until nothing comes out the hole except ball bearings.  The bearings will kind of burnish the inside of the gourd and then you can add the melted paraffin or beeswax and try to seal it for use as a canteen. 8)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
How do watermelons do up there? :shrug:
"Sugar Babies" do well, as to Farm Woman.  Those are heirloom melons, and only get about 10" in diameter. Very sweet and flavorful.  Larger melons don't have enough time to mature.

It's May 11th, and our garden is still not in. Bought starters today, but Sunday could get down to freezing...again.  80 in the day, 32 at night.  Grrrr....
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 11:17:59 PM »
I sent you a PM, but I'll share with the rest of the world, too. ;D

This is what I did:  Take a handful of ball bearings and stick 'em inside the hole in the dried gourd.  Start shakin' the heck out of it.  Then start shaking what breaks loose out through the hole.  As the cavity starts getting larger, add a few more ball bearings and try to get them whirling around on the inside.  When you get that happening, the 'stuff' really starts breaking loose and you can start shaking the whole mess out through the hole.  Keep doing that until nothing comes out the hole except ball bearings.  The bearings will kind of burnish the inside of the gourd and then you can add the melted paraffin or beeswax and try to seal it for use as a canteen. 8)

Thanks...got it.....

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
If I go to that much work to hollow out a gourd a bird better use it.   

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »
.45 or .50 cal. lead roundballs are more efficient & actually work better than the steel ball bearings.  That's OK for bird houses, but probably not so good if you intend to make a canteen out of one! :-\

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
.45 or .50 cal. lead roundballs are more efficient & actually work better than the steel ball bearings.  That's OK for bird houses, but probably not so good if you intend to make a canteen out of one! :-\
Yeah no ship.....
Just got back form "The Place"......both dipper bird houses have nests again.
You don't have to clean the seeds out as complete for bird houses...as you would for a canteen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:56:54 AM by hunter63 »

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 06:05:24 AM »
thanks for all the replies. This weekend if time permits between my service calls, my garden planting and my leek pickling endeavor I'm going to work on this gourd. I'm probably going to use some gravel stones to shake up the insides, that and some long shafted gun stock scrapers that I have. Maybe instead of bee's wax I'll use paraffin wax. Thought about brewer's pitch but I would have to order it in.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 07:08:35 AM »
If you have access to birch trees (which I don't  >:( ) you might want to whip up a batch of birch tar for lining your canteens, randy.  I've seen it used for lining leather canteens at rendezvous and it works great! :thumbsup:

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=5494.0

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »
that sounds good too Wolfy, I have lots of birch trees.