Author Topic: Work Sharp Knife sharpening systems update  (Read 563 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Work Sharp Knife sharpening systems update
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »
 Awhile ago I posted about a Work Sharp knife sharpener that I bought in the hope that it might work on a problem knife that I recently purchased,  the model I bought is the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition,  it actually worked better than I expected.
 The Ken Onion edition is the upgraded version of the original model, it has a more powerful motor, is variable speed, and has adjustable angle guides,  the KO edition also has optional tools that can be added to the motor control to do other metal working jobs, one is a "Blade Grinding" attachment that allows for actual blade shaping and edge grinding,  the other is a "Tool Grinding" attachment that is intended for sharpening lawn mowers blades, farm implements and other larger tools, and for shaping and smoothing metals.
 I was interested in the Blade Grinding attachment because I like modifying old knives into useful hunting and camp knives and because I though it would work well for sharpening my hatchets and axes,  after trying the attachment I found that while it's an excellent "Knife mill" for the hobby knife maker,  it's not that well suited for shaping or sharpening heavier tools like axes and such.
 Besides the Blade Grinding attachment I also picked up the smaller bar shaped Tool Grinding attachment and that one worked great on my project axes,  by placing the axe in a vice so that the blade is held in a horizontal position and using the smaller grinding attachment free style I was able to thin the cheeks and reshape the edge grind,  put a convex edge on and hone the edge, all without over heating the heads and ruining the heat treat,  the Sharpener works just slow enough to keep the steel from over heating while the Norton special abrasive belts aggressively remove metal, and because it's more forgiving than a professional bench grinder it allows the novice user to do a good job without screwing up the piece being worked on.
 So, my Work Sharp Ken Onion Sharpener has managed to impress me again,  While I understand that the system can be pricey for some, my Ken Onion Edition base tool was $129.00 at Cabela's, the Blade Grinding Attachment was $80.00 at Amazon, and the smaller bar type Tool Grinding attachment was about $40.00, the grinding belts are professional grade multiple layered abrasive belts made by Norton Abrasives specifically for Work Sharp tools and sell for about $12.00 per set of five different grits from extra coarse (about 80 grit) up to a honing belt at 12000 grit, I picked up two extra sets besides the set that came with the tool, I've been using it allot in the last two months and I'm still using the set that came with the tool, so the belts do last a long time.
 For the complete set of tool and attachments plus an extra set of belts your looking at about $250.00 bucks, but when you're talking serious tools that's not such a big investment considering the variety of shaping, sharpening, and grinding jobs that you can do with them quickly while getting profession finish results. 
 Before the Work Sharp most of my metal shaping projects were done with my Dremel Tool, anyone that owns a Dremel knows that the work can be slow, the abrasive bits and cutting disks don't last long and are expensive, and the quality of the finish while utilitarian is not all that great,  while I still use the Dremel for getting into small places,  there's not much the Work Sharp with a couple of attachments can't do.

In my opinion it's a very worthwhile investment.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Work Sharp Knife sharpening systems update
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »
Good information and great review, Moe! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
Good information and great review, Moe! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Craig,  It's still raining here, it's been almost a month and a half of steady rain with only a few days of clear weather in between so I've been spending allot of time in my little shop where it's dry,  I've about finished all my axe projects,  cleaned up and sharpened all the knives I've been neglecting,  I've even started working on my 'Vous gear,  I'm in the process of wire brushing my smaller Colonial Brazier,  I haven't dug out the big one yet,  a couple of coats of Rustolium high heat flat black grill paint will have them looking new again.
  I really haven't got to play with the Blade Grinder attachment much yet, but there's a huge indoor/outdoor flee market about 20 miles away that's open every weekend from April to the end of Sept.,  I'm hoping to hit it at least once a month looking for vintage butcher knives that can be turned into useful sporting and bush blades.
  I've done few, a vintage Case and an old Green River,  and turned a vintage Old Hickory into a fine looking Kephart with curly maple scales,  made a matching fire steel and Kephart type sheath for it as well,  I showed it to my youngest son when it was done,  he said "Thanks Dad, I love it",  what could I say,  the kid does so much for us it's hard to refuse him, "Good, I says, made it just for you."
  Any how, I'll have more to say about the Blade Grinder when I get to use it more.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:03:10 AM »
Sounds like a great investment indeed Moe :)
I will look into getting one someday...thanks for the review :cheers:...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »
I bought the Ken Onion edition about 2 years ago but I haven't turned it on yet, I usually just hand sharpen on stones.  I find it really relaxing.  I also have a cheap Delta belt grinder that I use to fix chipped blades, sharpen axes and machetes.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »
I bought the Ken Onion edition about 2 years ago but I haven't turned it on yet, I usually just hand sharpen on stones.  I find it really relaxing.  I also have a cheap Delta belt grinder that I use to fix chipped blades, sharpen axes and machetes.

I hear you,  had I not run into a problem knife that the previous owner messed up I probably wouldn't have invested in the Work Sharpener either,  my choices at the time were to send the knife back to the original maker who offered to fix it for free,  but shipping it to him in Brazil and back would have cost me close to a couple of hundred dollars in mailing fees, duty fees, and import fees (no lie).
  I could have sold the knife to someone else and pass the problem on,  I'd rather it ended with me,  or I could have chucked it in a drawer and chalked it up to a bad deal,  but, the original maker advised me on what needed to be done,  after some research I settled on the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition sharpener.
  It is an easy machine to operate,  very accurate, and got the job done, the knife was saved and is now on of my favorites,  as for hand sharpening I'm a firm believer in sharpening very little and stropping allot,  all of my knives get stropped after each extended use and the edges last a long time between actual sharpening.
 As for the sharpener itself, like most guys who like tools,  you buy a tool because you need it for a specific job, but once you have it you look for excuses to use it,  the Work Sharp Ken Onion with it's attachments has proved to be great investment in that it allows me to do other metal working jobs that I otherwise wouldn't tackle or would pay someone else to do.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
Good points, I'm still holding on to the WorkSharp Ken Onion just in case I get a horrible chip and I need to really grind the knife down.  Maybe I can start a sharpening business too! lol

I hear you,  had I not run into a problem knife that the previous owner messed up I probably wouldn't have invested in the Work Sharpener either,  my choices at the time were to send the knife back to the original maker who offered to fix it for free,  but shipping it to him in Brazil and back would have cost me close to a couple of hundred dollars in mailing fees, duty fees, and import fees (no lie).
  I could have sold the knife to someone else and pass the problem on,  I'd rather it ended with me,  or I could have chucked it in a drawer and chalked it up to a bad deal,  but, the original maker advised me on what needed to be done,  after some research I settled on the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition sharpener.
  It is an easy machine to operate,  very accurate, and got the job done, the knife was saved and is now on of my favorites,  as for hand sharpening I'm a firm believer in sharpening very little and stropping allot,  all of my knives get stropped after each extended use and the edges last a long time between actual sharpening.
 As for the sharpener itself, like most guys who like tools,  you buy a tool because you need it for a specific job, but once you have it you look for excuses to use it,  the Work Sharp Ken Onion with it's attachments has proved to be great investment in that it allows me to do other metal working jobs that I otherwise wouldn't tackle or would pay someone else to do.

Offline pap11y

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »
I have the original worksharp. It truly shines on kitchen knives and convex edges..

It was a great investment.... You do have to learn how to use it though...