Author Topic: Temporarily suspending orders  (Read 15758 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Temporarily suspending orders
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
My family will be moving to a new home in the next few months, so I will not be taking any new Turning Outdoors orders for the time being.

I will be packing up my shop and moving it as well. Once we are settled in to the new house and have finished up a few home improvement projects there, I can rebuild my shop and begin taking orders again. Since I will only have a day or two per week to work on this, it could take some time.

Rest assured if you have an existing order with me it will be finished by the agreed upon date. We will have a few weeks before we can move in anyway so there will be plenty of time for me to complete the few current orders I have right now.

I will continue to maintain a presence here at Blades and Bushcraft as an administrator and participating member of this forum.

I want to thank all of my customers for their support. It brings me a great deal of satisfaction to know that you guys enjoy owning and using things that I've made. For that I am grateful.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
Re: Temporarily suspending orders
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
Best wishes sent your way!  (I'd rather take a beating, than move...)  Keep us posted at to how things are going or if you need anything!!

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:44:47 PM »
Get busy brother!
Axes Rock!

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
Best wishes
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
Thanks guys.
The move will be a stressful PITA, but the reward will be so worth it that the move will seem like no trouble at all.. I own two small trailers, one enclosed, and between my wife and I we have 2 vehicles that can tow. We aren't selling our current house (plan to rent it out) so it's not going to be a big hurry to move. And, if the deal goes through on the house we are looking at, it sits on 2 acres! It's 660 feet deep from the front to the back, a full 1/8 of a mile. Not big by some standards but for this transplanted city boy it will feel like an empire. The garage alone is as big as our upstairs where we are now. Even though it's not perfect, it's as close to our "dream home" as we can reasonably expect to have in this lifetime so we are going to go for it.

If the inspector says the chimney is up to code we will have a wood burning stove too. ;)  There is some doubt about that though as the house was built by the previous owners who are not construction contractors, so it's possible the chimney is not up to code and we will need to get it fixed before using it. It enters the ceiling VERY close to the wall and I'm not sure that's going to pass inspection.

The 2 acres has no trees, and no water rights, so it will cost a bit to water the lawn. We might be able to buy some water rights later, and then get some fast growing trees planted in back to have a place to enjoy. Our current neighbors are just awful. We can't prove it because they are very sneaky, but their dogs have damaged our fence, they have stomped on a brand new sprinkler of ours, they have shoveled dog poop into my wife's car, and flick cigarette butts on our lawn. but, we haven't caught them in the act in spite of installing 6 security cameras. We hate them so much we decided to move away since there isn't anything we can legally do to them. So we will inflict them with renters, who hopefully make them as miserable as they have made us.  >:D

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
Good luck!  I am happy that you have happy horizons!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
God Speed brother! Sounds like you're gonna be way better off. I sure hope so for you and yours.
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the well wishes. :)

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
sounds awesome brother!! wish i lived closer, id come help you move :D i am sure it will go smoothly though, you guys are way too organized for it to go bad :D

looking forward to the new shop, and seeing some new designs from you in the future PW! :thumbsup:
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
sounds awesome brother!! wish i lived closer, id come help you move :D i am sure it will go smoothly though, you guys are way too organized for it to go bad :D

looking forward to the new shop, and seeing some new designs from you in the future PW! :thumbsup:

Thanks man. :)

Yeah the new shop will be a corner of the garage for the time being. But there is a TON of storage space in the garage with floor to ceiling shelves along one wall, spaced perfectly for storage totes. And the washer/drier is inside the house on the other side of the wall from the garage, so I can probably tap 220V power there. So while the actual floor space is perhaps a bit smaller than my existing shop, the fact that I can store tools I'm not using away from the work area will mean I still have room to work. If the seller accepts our offer, I'll get pictures as soon as we close for you guys.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »
Wishing you well in your move!
:)

& I wish I was closer.I have a "way" with handling neighbors like ya mentioned. They usually move away in short order, but at the least, make themselves scarce and not trouble ya in the least after a few "doses" of learning the difference between good neighbors & bad ones.
There is an old saying,
"Old age & Treachery always overcomes Youth & skill."  I have found that it is a "true" saying. At least how I learned it...LOL
;)

Let me know if I could help.
:)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm not creative enough to come up with a solution to the problems they cause that won't land me in jail, other than moving away.

Half Axe

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »
PW, I hope it all goes like clockwork for you.  Bad neighbors are the worst!  Had the same problem a few years back, but got lucky - they lost their jobs due to the economic downturn and had to move.  Sounds like you'll be a lot better off if your offer is accepted.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »
PW, I hope it all goes like clockwork for you.  Bad neighbors are the worst!  Had the same problem a few years back, but got lucky - they lost their jobs due to the economic downturn and had to move.  Sounds like you'll be a lot better off if your offer is accepted.

This guy lost his job 6 months ago. But he comes and goes a few times a day for ten minutes at a time. The police can't do anything without proof. And if he's doing something illegal and finally does piss off the wrong people, we don't want to be right next door when the hits the fan over there. We just got tired of waiting for him to get foreclosed on. They just planted a garden so he isn't planning on leaving any time soon.

Glad to hear your neighbor situation worked itself out. :thumbsup:

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:44:07 AM »
Good to hear you are moving on to a better place I am sure it will be better in the long run. A little more land is always nice to have. I am also looking forward to seeing the new shop. Good Luck!
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline bradleybuckman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »
Good luck. Hopefully, you'll have better neighbors at the new location and a little more of a buffer zone with more land just in case they aren't that great.
My ambition is handicapped by laziness.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement folks.

It looks like we might not be getting this house. We've talked to the realtor again and apparently the roof on it is in worse shape than we had thought. It will require a complete replacement and it's too expensive. So, the search continues...

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
Maybe you'll find something with tree's on it.  :)       Lots of acres up here for sale....     :) :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »
Good catch.  Don't need to buy a money-pit.  Better off building your own at that rate!

Neighbors and dogs...could be nice and toss a bone-in cut of nice meat over the fence.  Then leave an empty jug of antifreeze somewhere conspicuous (not near your property of course).  It's the thought that counts.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
As it turns out, the replacement quote was from a roofer the does asphalt shingles, not metal roofs. So we are going to have another roofer out to tell us if it can be repaired, and how much it will cost. Our decision to buy will be based on that repair cost.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 12:14:09 AM »
As it turns out, the replacement quote was from a roofer the does asphalt shingles, not metal roofs. So we are going to have another roofer out to tell us if it can be repaired, and how much it will cost. Our decision to buy will be based on that repair cost.

Well, we found out today that in order for the bank to accept our offer, they want $1500 in earnest money. No big deal really. BUT, they want us to sign a waiver stating that we can't back out of the contract based on the roof condition. Well we told then no deal. We know the roof is messed up, but they essentially won't let us put the house under contract unless we sign the waiver, and they won't let us have it inspected unless we put it under contract.

We're not going to pay $1500 for the privilege of fining out the if roof is going to cost more than we can afford to fix. :rolleyes:

So, the search continues...

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 04:56:24 AM »
Wow, you'd think the bank would be happy to have a potential customer in this economy!  The idea of preventing the inspection is a new one to me, but sounds shady.  Evidently they know you will pass financing and are trying to lock you in.

Would the seller or seller and realtor be willing to make the roof repairs first?  You would still have (possibly) an out on the chimney from the inspection, if it doesn't meet code or didn't meet code at the time it was installed.  Still, sounds like they are gonna make it difficult to get out based on the inspection results.

Next thing they'll pull on you is that you have to use THEIR Inspector!!  LOL

Not sure what it's called, but there is a type of insurance that covers issues that come up after possession.  It does require the insurance companies inspection, but covers quite a bit.  Several years ago I worked with a friend who was a contractor.  We had a client who had purchased a foreclosed dwelling that had been empty for almost two years.  We did a full electric service upgrade, repaired the well  pump, partial roof repair and some HVAC work.  After that, I know they had some other work done under that same insurance plan.   The client didn't seem to feel the insurance cost was out of line price-wise.

The idea of the bank trying to get you backed into a corner so quickly would be putting me off right quick.  Wonder what a quick title search will show...   

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Well that stinks.  That's weird they would only agree to those terms.  Well maybe that ones not meant to be, but that means the right one is still out there.  Good luck on your search, on the brightside you have more time to get out in the woods instead of moving :D
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
Temporarily suspending orders
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »
It's a buyers market I would pass on that one and keep looking.  It sounds like that's a foreclosed house and the bank sounds stupid enough to be BoA ?  I'd stay away from anything there mixed up in.

The housing bubble isn't over yet so there won't be a shortage of good property everywhere for years to come.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
It's a buyers market I would pass on that one and keep looking.  It sounds like that's a foreclosed house and the bank sounds stupid enough to be BoA ?  I'd stay away from anything there mixed up in.

The housing bubble isn't over yet so there won't be a shortage of good property everywhere for years to come.

I keep saying "the bank", when I mean to say "the seller". The seller is a bank that foreclosed on the previous owners. They built the house and did almost all the work. Apparently they didn't install the roof correctly and it has a good bit of wind damage. We are going to look at a different one today.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
Wow, you'd think the bank would be happy to have a potential customer in this economy!  The idea of preventing the inspection is a new one to me, but sounds shady.  Evidently they know you will pass financing and are trying to lock you in.

Would the seller or seller and realtor be willing to make the roof repairs first?  You would still have (possibly) an out on the chimney from the inspection, if it doesn't meet code or didn't meet code at the time it was installed.  Still, sounds like they are gonna make it difficult to get out based on the inspection results.

Next thing they'll pull on you is that you have to use THEIR Inspector!!  LOL

Not sure what it's called, but there is a type of insurance that covers issues that come up after possession.  It does require the insurance companies inspection, but covers quite a bit.  Several years ago I worked with a friend who was a contractor.  We had a client who had purchased a foreclosed dwelling that had been empty for almost two years.  We did a full electric service upgrade, repaired the well  pump, partial roof repair and some HVAC work.  After that, I know they had some other work done under that same insurance plan.   The client didn't seem to feel the insurance cost was out of line price-wise.

The idea of the bank trying to get you backed into a corner so quickly would be putting me off right quick.  Wonder what a quick title search will show...

Yessir... sounds real shady. It seems like you're making the right move by passing and continuing with the search which I wish you luck with PW.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
if it smells like , and has flies... guess what.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »
If this appeals to you, I just read in the business section of the newspaper today that "second vacation homes" are the hottest things in the housing market right now.  Since people are having a hard time hanging on to their "first residence", those second vacation homes which are sometimes a little off the beaten path (even better 8)), are selling for a pittance compared to their real value.   Sounds like a dream come true to me :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
Well, we just got home from looking at two. One of them was a mountain retreat style house but it's a very small 3br 1 bath house on 4 acres. It's in an area with a homeowner's association, though, so we decided to pass on it. The land was really nice, but it just wasn't right.

The other one was bigger, newer, and priced lower. 1.73 acre lot with water rights. 4br, 3 baths and big family room and den. Nice sized laundry room, and the master bedroom has a separate shower and tub.  The kitchen was awesome though, has a gas range (best way to cook) and an island with a pot rack light fixture hanging above. 

I really liked the second house's location, neighborhood, lot size, floor plan etc.

But it has some drawbacks. One is no garage or shop of any kind. No covered parking, no trees, bushes, flowers or landscaping of any kind, and no fireplace or wood stove. I can't shoot on the property because there are other homes too close. And it has no cooling. We would have to spend a good bit to fix these things, but it might be as good as we can get. It would suck planting and waiting for trees to grow, though... It could be years before the trees mature and you can actually enjoy them.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »
ah, the joys of house hunting....

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35:53 AM »
ah, the joys of house hunting....

Yeah, no kidding!

Looks like we might end up with the one with no shop. I priced the cheapest metal buildings and it will cost me about what a new KMG with all the bells and whistles would, and that's just the shell. I'd still have to insulate, build benches and shelves, and run power. :(

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
that doesnt sound like much fun, although on the positive side it allows for you to build it around your tools, instead of a pre determined layout that doesnt really function well. it could be a blessing in disguise really...

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 02:17:42 PM »
Well, I talked tot he guy today and he agreed to come down another $2K on the price. The previous owners had cats, so he is going to remove the carpet and get a disaster clean up service to clean the furnac e ducts and clean the house, then he will replace the carpet with either vinyl or laminate flooring. I expect vinyl, but he's the one who mentioned the laminate so we will see. (Fingers crossed.)

The shop is something that will have to wait a while because we will be spending our savings on a down payment. But since we will be keeping the other house, I can just drive up here and spend a few days and make some knives in my current shop once everything settles down. It won't be ideal but it is the best we can do.

The good news is the new house has a big concrete driveway that I can use as a foundation for a garage/shop when we finally get situated well enough to build one. And a concrete floor would mean I could install a real lathe.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
Well, I talked tot he guy today and he agreed to come down another $2K on the price. The previous owners had cats, so he is going to remove the carpet and get a disaster clean up service to clean the furnac e ducts and clean the house, then he will replace the carpet with either vinyl or laminate flooring. I expect vinyl, but he's the one who mentioned the laminate so we will see. (Fingers crossed.)

The shop is something that will have to wait a while because we will be spending our savings on a down payment. But since we will be keeping the other house, I can just drive up here and spend a few days and make some knives in my current shop once everything settles down. It won't be ideal but it is the best we can do.

The good news is the new house has a big concrete driveway that I can use as a foundation for a garage/shop when we finally get situated well enough to build one. And a concrete floor would mean I could install a real lathe.

getting excited again?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »

getting excited again?

Yes, that's the home shopping dilemma. You resolve yourself to compromise, and then begin to look at the potential a new property has. You begin imagining what you will do with the property, then something happens and the deal falls through and it's back to the drawing board. :rolleyes:

But, I think this one might wind up being "it". My first project will be pouring a slab for a concrete pad to put an A/C condenser on.

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 04:44:08 AM »
While the idea sucks, we had to put one of these up at a former job and worked out of it about 10 months longer than was anticipated.  Ours came from a utility supply company and was probably twice the price, but it did work. 

Since our electrical needs were minimal, we just swapped a couple breakers with  GFCI's and laid out a couple extension cords LOL.  Like I said...not the best, but it certainly gets one by for the time.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/shelterlogic-10x20-3-in-1-canopy-system.aspx?a=248939 

Half Axe

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »
PW, did you get the house you were looking at, or does the hunt continue?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
PW, did you get the house you were looking at, or does the hunt continue?

We got a different house in our sights now. It's a manufactured home (but a nice solidly built one, not a glorified trailer built with 2X2s) anchored permanently to a concrete foundation with approximately 2700 sq ft, 4br, 2ba, city water and gas, septic system sewer, built in 2006. It has a big concrete driveway, but no covered parking or garage/shop. But it's on 1.74 acres and is zoned for livestock, and the lot is fully fenced. The kitchen has a gas range/oven, and it is huge, with tons of counter space, a bar, an island, and about 3 times the cabinet and pantry space we have now, including a hanging pot rack/light fixture above the island. I like to cook so I'm stoked about this. :D

The lot size is something we'll have to figure out as well. It's so big I'll need a riding mower, or one of those tow-behind mowers for my ATV. If we want to water it, we'll need to purchase some water shares. I do want to plant some fruit trees, and perhaps get a goat and a few hens some time later on after my daughter starts school.

I'll have to build a shop (again), and it needs trees planted and landscaping. And we want a carport, patio/deck, and garden shed.

This one is a way better deal at an asking price $50,000 less, and with no immediate repairs to be made. Plus it's in a county that gets a lot more precipitation (not a desert) and better access to hunting and outdoor recreation activities. The only thing we will absolutely have to do is add an A/C evaporator and condenser unit to the furnace and it will be ready to move in. We might do a little interior painting too, but a lot of the rooms are in good condition paint-wise. The seller agreed to remove all the carpet and put down vinyl flooring since the previous owner had cats and they messed up the carpet (and I'm allergic).

We also plan to have a wood burning stove installed. The house has a gas furnace, but it will be nice to have the wood heat option, plus my daughter needs a way for Santa to get in. :D

We are hoping to close within a month. The seller got the house in a short sale because the previous owner had to relocate for work and couldn't make payments. But they are still in the process of getting title cleared up before we can sign the purchase contract. We do have a preliminary agreement to purchase signed. We could lose to a higher cash bid, but we're hoping the guy doesn't get any more offers before we can get it solidly under contract.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 06:18:52 AM »
Good luck.  I remember my bidding war.  Thankfully, I won, but the wait can be nerve racking.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »
Good luck on the new deal. We have been looking around our local area and keep watching the value of ours going down due to short sales and forclosures.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23:39 AM »
Good luck on the new deal. We have been looking around our local area and keep watching the value of ours going down due to short sales and forclosures.

I am not looking to move.  I just bougth my house just under 2 years ago, but I am watching the appraised value go down.   :(
Just when I thought things were getting better for the house market, I see that it is not.

Good luck.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
Good luck, sir! House hunting sucks... I guess that's why I rent. Still, I will be looking for my slice of land soon.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
That's cool Ron, I hope it works out for you buddy

So what your also saying is that with this purchase you have an extra 50k to put towards the workshop?  That's gonna be one kicka$$ shop    :thumbsup:
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes guys!

That's cool Ron, I hope it works out for you buddy

So what your also saying is that with this purchase you have an extra 50k to put towards the workshop?  That's gonna be one kicka$$ shop    :thumbsup:

Lol, I wish!  What it means is a lower monthly payment. :D

Half Axe

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 06:13:54 PM »
PW, would it be possible to move your shop building in one piece from your old house to the new one?  For my remediation projects, I have the engineers design the buildings so they are skid mounted.  We move them from location to location as needed and rebuild the equipment inside, lots cheaper than building new structures for each location.  Any way those methods could be adapted to your stiuation?  Think on it and let me know, maybe I could be of help.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »
PW, would it be possible to move your shop building in one piece from your old house to the new one?  For my remediation projects, I have the engineers design the buildings so they are skid mounted.  We move them from location to location as needed and rebuild the equipment inside, lots cheaper than building new structures for each location.  Any way those methods could be adapted to your stiuation?  Think on it and let me know, maybe I could be of help.

It could theoretically be moved, but it's too big to fit through the fence. It would require having the phone company come out and disconnect the wire, and then the fence might need to be removed and replaced. Then it would need to be moved 120 miles over a mountain pass. I think the cost of such an endeavor would be close to what I paid for the materials to build it in the first place.

It's 12X16' with a 12X12' loft space. I'm probably going to build an 18X24 garage at the new location which will be a lot more spacious. I'm hoping the driveway is level enough, but I might have to pour a footing or something to level it out.

Half Axe

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »
Well, it was a thought, anyway.  I'd hoped it would be a way to address some concerns, especially with your neighbors the way they are.  Hate the thought of your workshop being broken into and tools carted off by someone who most likely is keeping a close watch on your stuff and will know when you have moved out.

Hopefully you won't need a leveling course to be placed on your new driveway.

Thanks. :)

Yeah it looks like it might need a bit of leveling. But, I got plans in the mail today for an 18X24" garage, complete with materials list. I think it's going to be a much nicer shop than the existing storage shed I'm using.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:37:31 PM by PetrifiedWood »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
Bit of an update...

We have exhausted the entire area looking for homes in our price range that meet our needs. We've even revisited the search with several compromises in mind, and with a slightly higher budget. No luck.

There have been a few houses that came close, but none that were "right" after closer inspection. So, we've decided to go a different route and get a smaller second home to get away to. We have a bid in on a small cabin that needs only minor work to move in. We still need to inspect it and are waiting to see if our bid is accepted. But it will allow me to keep my current shop.

I'm still suspending new orders until we get situated because no matter what house we end up buying, I will be busy with moving and any fixing up that needs doing.

Anyhow just wanted to keep this updated for those who might be interested. :)

Half Axe

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
Any land with that cabin, PW?  Is it very far away from your house?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »
Any land with that cabin, PW?  Is it very far away from your house?

Sadly no land, only .34 of an acre. It's about a 2 hour drive from home. It's in another small town on the main road. Not my dream cabin on 40 acres or anything, but nice enough.