Author Topic: TOKT News  (Read 77259 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: TOKT News
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
PW: How long do you keep your knives in your tempering oven and what temperature do you keep it at?

I have a rough forged look on my Kephart.  It has a primitive no nonsense look.  It was one of the knives Beowulf put out.  It was my first convexed edge knife, too.  Looking back now, I wish I got it handleless so that I could put some type of primitive looking handle on it.

I temper at 385o F  for 2 hours for my oven. Ovens can vary widely in temperature so you really have to do a little trial and error to see what works best. This temp gets me in the sweet spot between 55 and 60 RC as verified by my hardness testing files. However I think my oven runs a little hot so it might be closer to 400 degrees in someone else's oven.

You can always re-temper hotter, so starting around 370 degrees for 2 hours and then work your way up in 15 degree increments or so until you get a good compromise between wear resistance and flexibility.

Half Axe

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
Can't wait to see the finished knife.  Keep those pics coming!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2012, 08:31:24 PM »
Well, it's out of the oven cooling now. ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »
Well, got the Kephart back out to clean it up and put the finish grind on. I went with a 17.5 degree bevel for a 35 degree inclusive edge bevel. The edge is so fine on this full flat grind that I wanted to beef it up a bit. This thing is going to be a razor!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
It looks absolutely hideous PW 

:thumbsup:
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »
Lol, I'm going to have a hard time letting this one go because the thin flat grind is so sweet! Once I pack up my tools and move to the new house it will be a long time until I grind another knife...  :'(

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »

I have a rough forged look on my Kephart.  It has a primitive no nonsense look.  It was one of the knives Beowulf put out.  It was my first convexed edge knife, too.  Looking back now, I wish I got it handleless so that I could put some type of primitive looking handle on it.

ive had 2 of those sent to me for edge reprofiling. if you want to get the existing handles off, its really easy :) just get a pot of water boiling, and stick the handle in there for a few minutes... then take a utility knife and start pushing it between the scale and the tang until its nice and loose.. then pull it out, let it cool a little and finish removing the scales :) should not take more than 20 minutes ;)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2012, 06:24:58 AM »

ive had 2 of those sent to me for edge reprofiling. if you want to get the existing handles off, its really easy :) just get a pot of water boiling, and stick the handle in there for a few minutes... then take a utility knife and start pushing it between the scale and the tang until its nice and loose.. then pull it out, let it cool a little and finish removing the scales :) should not take more than 20 minutes ;)

Thanks for the advice!  I might just do that!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Half Axe

« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
Well, got the Kephart back out to clean it up and put the finish grind on. I went with a 17.5 degree bevel for a 35 degree inclusive edge bevel. The edge is so fine on this full flat grind that I wanted to beef it up a bit. This thing is going to be a razor!

:drool:

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2012, 06:20:14 AM »
This one is really going to be a keeper!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
Got the handle on this afternoon. It just needs some minor finish work done and I'll have some pictures up. ;)

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
looking forward to them :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »

I have a rough forged look on my Kephart.  It has a primitive no nonsense look.  It was one of the knives Beowulf put out. 

It was a good knife before but now it is a great knife after Red did the reprofiling on it.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Some doodling, and a template...
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
Well, the house hunting is slowing down. We're continuing to look, but we have looked at all the ones in our price range and area that are currently on the market so now we are just looking at new ones as they come up for sale. This means that while I'm still busy (not taking orders), I do have time to work on some fun projects.

I decided to revisit the hunting knife. upthecreek has the one and only "Artemis" knife I've made. Taking lessons learned from that knife, I'm going to make another.

This one has a longer, more graceful blade, and while it retains the brass bolster up front, it will lose the brass pommel and have plenty of lightening holes drilled through the tang to shift the balance forward a bit. While it's design draws heavily on the Artemis, it's different enough to require a different name. I'm going to hold off naming it until I have a finished example.

Anyhow, here's the sketch, printed out and glued to some manilla folder backing to make a template.

Next time I get some shop time I'll be grinding and drilling this profile.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
cant wait to see it man :D

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
psyched!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2012, 07:39:31 AM »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
Had a bit of a mishap with the pin hole diameter so I had to relocate a hole. It won't make a difference in the finished knife.

Anyhow, here's the blade ground and ready for heat treat.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
22 is a lot of pin holes.  Don't worry though.  Your aim is sure to get better with time   :P

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »
22 is a lot of pin holes.  Don't worry though.  Your aim is sure to get better with time   :P

:D

Those are .25! (I wish I had a little Seecamp in .32, but that's a whole other matter.)

Actually, the larger holes are just there to lighten the handle and help shift the balance away from the pommel a bit. It's getting brass bolsters, and the full flat grind removes a lot of weight from the front so I have to compensate by drilling the tang. I drilled one of the bolster pin holes with the wire gauge bit I normally use for loveless bolts, when I should have used a 1/8" bit. I relocated it, and if my peening goes as planned the bolster pins should blend in enough so that it doesn't matter.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »
lol, I thought those were to cut the weight done, that or you were practicing your hole drilling blind folded.  haha

I bet it will matter a lot.  So when it's done and your extremely disappointed and just can't stand the look of her anymore let me know and I'll pm you my address so you can get rid of it   ;D

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »
Oh!  You counted the holes! When you said my aim was sure to improve, I thought you were joking that I shot the holes in with a .22 rifle. :D

Offline Sudz

• Whetstone +
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »
You have got to get your home searching done so you can get to making knives! That's going to be a Beauty!!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
Oh!  You counted the holes! When you said my aim was sure to improve, I thought you were joking that I shot the holes in with a .22 rifle. :D

:rofl:

No, but that's a great idea though!  Now that would impress at the range   :hail:

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
dibs!! that one is gonna end up here in FL, so all you other people will just have to order your own :P

those grinds are awesome PW, nice clean plunge cuts :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
Ok, got a little more work done to the new hunter design. Heat treated and polished the bevels today.

The camera actually focused on the carport's reflection in the blade on this shot. The "rainbow" effect is just WD40 on the blade to keep it rust-free until I get a chance to work on it again.

Next will be pinning and peening the bolsters. I might try to get pictures of those steps for those members who might be interested in the process.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Looks great so far, I can't wait to see the finished knife!

Next will be pinning and peening the bolsters. I might try to get pictures of those steps for those members who might be interested in the process.

I'd be interested in seeing the process PW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
New Hunter progress pics
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »
Well, I got a bit ahead of myself before I remembered I was supposed to take pictures.  :-[

Anyhow, what I do is stack the brass and glue the two pieces with a drop of CA glue to hold them, then drill through the pin holes in the knife, adding brass pins as I go to keep everything aligned. I read somewhere you are supposed to use at least three pins, so I used 3 1/8" diameter brass pins. after all the holes are drilled, pop the two pieces of brass apart, and set the grinder table to whatever angle you wish (I used 30 degrees) to bevel the front of the bolsters.

I work my way up to about 600 grit on the grinder and then buff the fronts till they shine. Then I use a taper reamer to ream the inside of the holes, making sure not to ream all the way through. You want a good portion of the hole to be a straight 1/8" diameter, and then widening out towards the outside face of the bolster. This gives the pins a place to expand and lock the bolster in place.

You will want to cut the pins so they are about 1 diameter longer than the thickness of the blade and bolsters. So if you are using 1/8" pins and the knife and bolsters are 5/8" thick, then you will want the pins to be 3/4" long so that 1/16" sticks out on either side.  Chamfer the ends of the pins to help prevent them from splitting as you peen them.

I use a small ball peen hammer to peen the pins, flipping the blade over every so often, giving the pins a good beating. They are impossible to see with the blade rough sanded but they might appear later on as you progress through the grits to final polish. It takes practice to get them perfect. I hope I got them as close as possible this time around but you never know.

Anyhow, in the pic you can see a couple of dents in the front edge of the bolster from misses while peening. the will be gone as I thin the knife while shaping the handle. The next step will be grinding the edge bevel before mounting the scales. If I mounted them first I'd have no place to clamp the jig... :D

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
that one is SOOOOO mine!!!!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »
that one is SOOOOO mine!!!!
I can see why!
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »
PW......do you ever solder your bolsters?   I pinned a set on one that I put together one time and ended up being able to see the pins after the final polish because the pin material was a different alloy than the bolsters, I guess.......I dun'no :doh:   The pins were a lighter yellow than the bolsters, but after a period of time they they got enough patina built up that you could barely see the difference.   Just wondered if you ever ran into that problem?    I also used nickel brazing rod on a nickel pommel on another knife one time and they matched perfectly, so....... :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »
PW......do you ever solder your bolsters?   I pinned a set on one that I put together one time and ended up being able to see the pins after the final polish because the pin material was a different alloy than the bolsters, I guess.......I dun'no :doh:   The pins were a lighter yellow than the bolsters, but after a period of time they they got enough patina built up that you could barely see the difference.   Just wondered if you ever ran into that problem?    I also used nickel brazing rod on a nickel pommel on another knife one time and they matched perfectly, so....... :shrug:

There are several things to look out for. One is making sure the pins and holes are clean. Any dirt or patina on them can make the pins stand out. Also, make sure they are the same series of brass or nickel silver. I use C360 brass stock for the bolsters and pins. I hope this one turns out good... :D

I haven't tried soldering yet.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Pics New Hunter roughed out
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »
I still have to touch up a few place with some sandpaper, and of course I'll need to make a pretty badass sheath for this knife.  But this is the "rough draft". One of the pins is partially visible on one side, but for the most part I managed to hide the pins well. I'll probably let it dry out for a few days before doing the finish sanding in case the wood shrinks a bit. And there is a small split in the grain on one of the scales that will need to be filled with CA glue. Oh, and my logo needs to be etched on as well. Anyhow, here she is...

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »
Please save me a whole bunch of money and tell me this is already spoken for.

You keep raising the bar.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »
Just absolutely beautiful, PW :thumbsup:     The natural dark woodgrain and brass bolsters always look the best to me, but I'm kinda' 'old school' in preferences for knife materials :cheers:

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
That is incredible!  Great looking knife!

Did you ever come up with a name for this yet?

:)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Pics New Hunter roughed out
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »
Thanks guys!

I haven't picked a name for it yet, still musing on that one. I'm thinking of taking a name from the local environment. I have done that before with the Pinyon knife named after the little pinyon pines in the area. There are lots of cool place names around here I could use.

What's funny is that as I've progressed and gained experience making knives, this knife took me about the same amount of time and the same number of trips out to the shop as my very first knife, in spite of having quite a few extra steps involved. I still have another hour or two in the shop, and then a few more hours to make a nice sheath for it.

The longest most time consuming part was grinding the full flat bevels. Scandis are faster because you remove a lot less material, and they are easier to keep the grind lines and plunges even. (For me anyway.) There are guys out there that can grind the same blade freehand in about 1/10 the time it took me with my jig, but they have been grinding for a loooong time. :D

Anyhow, I hope you guys are enjoying seeing this progress from concept drawing to finished knife. :)

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »
That is frickin awesome Ron!!! That is a gorgeous knife, well done.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
That's gorgeous PW!  The pins really blended in well and those scales have beautiful grain...super job!!

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
name your price brother!!!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
Thanks guys!

Red, let me finish the knife and sheath before quoting a price. I can tell you that it is already the nicest knife I've ever made, and I hope to do a really nice sheath for it as well. :)

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2012, 12:33:45 AM »
that one is begging for a horizontal sheath :D

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »
Woah!  Just saw the finished knife - glad I popped in here before work...  Amazing knife! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »
Great job PW,  brass and walnut were made for each other on a knife.    They just have a good look that doesn't get old.  I really like that one.  let me know if you want to know how well it does field dressing a deer and I'll help you out friend   ;D

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
that one is begging for a horizontal sheath :D

+1

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:25 PM »
Ok, it's been far too long since I updated the TOKT news thread. My wife and I have been through a roller coaster ride of ups and downs house hunting this summer. We finally closed on a house today!

I'll get some before pics of the garage that will be eventually transformed into my new knife shop. It's going to take a few weeks to get totally moved in, and a few more to do little "honey-do" projects around the house until I get some time to focus on tearing out the old wall to ceiling shelving and building some proper work benches along a couple of walls.

Anyhow, just wanted to give an update.

Offline land cruiser

• Whetstone +
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »
Great news......what a relief, huh :thumbsup:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »
LC and Wolfy, thanks! Yes it is a relief!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
Congrats PW!  That is definitely nice to cross off the list...Now you can focus on fall fun :)