Author Topic: TOKT News  (Read 68763 times)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: TOKT News
« Reply #250 on: May 13, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Looks good PW! :thumbsup:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »
Thanks KK. It's been a while since I made anything from scratch. Was nice to get out there and turn something out.

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »
Looking good!

If you decide to crank out a few more of those ferro rods, I would be down for a few!

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Glad to see you're getting the new shop up and running!!  I've been looking forward to seeing you back at it again  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
Thanks KK. It's been a while since I made anything from scratch. Was nice to get out there and turn something out.
So... When can we see some new TOKT knives here? :drool:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »
So... When can we see some new TOKT knives here? :drool:

Probably still going to be a while yet. I hadn't anticipated how busy I'd be when we moved to the new house. When I build my last shop, we didn't have a child yet. Now that we do, there is a lot less time to build.

If the shop was already set up I'd probably go and make a knife every so often when I can catch a few minutes to work on it. But a shop isn't the kind of thing you can work on for a few minutes and put diown for a few days. That's how you get a bunch of OSB falling apart from being rained on...  :-\

Anyhow, my daughter starts preschool in the fall, so maybe that will mean more time, or less. But it will be different.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »
Look forward to getting on your build list when you get back to it PW.  :)
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
Slacker..... :P
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »
Look forward to getting on your build list when you get back to it PW.  :)

Bushpick!
Bushpick!
Buuuuusshhhh-pickkkk!

:banana:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »
Lol, you guys are too much! :D

Red, I know you managed to turn out some awesome knives in very cramped quarters. So I am considering just biting the bullet and trying to set up my shop in the garage, which is really tiny but I really want to get back to making knives. I have also considered building a file jig so I can make bevels indoors in my office where I have (a little) more room to work.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #260 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »
I did a lot of knives in a 5x10 storage locker for 2 years. You would be surprised what you can get done in a tight space like that. That said though, I did have to move the leather work to the house, it was just too dirty in there to have clean leather.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
It seems you had a metal garage built after the move didn't you?  After seeing my investment in our storage shed I built, I'd be looking really hard at one of those metal buildings with the arched roof if I had the space to put one up.  (Plus I'm on a rental lot anyway)  I did a 12X16 with storage trusses, and wired it to have 50 amp 240 service and have about $2500 in it- and still no heat or a/c, which is badly needed here. 

I saw a metal carport that was something like 12X20, with an advertised price of just under $1000.  It wouldn't be that much to seal one end, cover the other end and add a door and get going like that.  It wouldn't be exactly the most pristine of shops, but might be an alternative to a much more expensive investment.  Plus it could be moved if you ever relocate again.

Since it's considered a "temporary" building here, you can get away with a treated 4x4 or 4x6 to mount the electric service panel as long as you drive a separate ground rod for it.  PVC conduit or MC cabling and you can mount the wiring inside as needed.  Like I said, not pristine, but very serviceable.  I'd kill for one LOL

If you have a double lugged meter base, you're set!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
Dano, we talked about getting one of those buildings. Ultimately I'd like to get a separate garage for the cars, then wall up the garage door for more living space and build a separate shop.

We have plenty of room here but everything is on a slope and covered with trees. So I will need to cut down trees and then either build on some sonotube piers, or get some fill to level the land. One of our friends up here knows a guy who owns a dozer so if the price is right I might get a flat spot made.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #263 on: May 23, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
I did a lot of knives in a 5x10 storage locker for 2 years. You would be surprised what you can get done in a tight space like that. That said though, I did have to move the leather work to the house, it was just too dirty in there to have clean leather.

Yeah even at the old shop I still did leather indoors since it was easiest. I would still do the same no matter what kind of shop I end up using.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #264 on: February 19, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
Resurrecting this thread to say....

:P SLACKER :P

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #265 on: February 19, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »
Yeah, yeah, I know...  :-[

I still have my tools, just no room to set them up. Originally the garage was supposed to be a workshop, but it ended up being used to park a car instead. :D

Maybe I can get away with building a portable bench on the back porch. That would at least let me set up a grinder. The ht oven is another thing. I will need to poke a hole through a wall to run a 220V line for the oven.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #266 on: February 20, 2015, 04:38:15 AM »

I still have my tools, just no room to set them up. Originally the garage was supposed to be a workshop, but it ended up being used to park a car instead. :D

Maybe I can get away with building a portable bench on the back porch. That would at least let me set up a grinder. The ht oven is another thing. I will need to poke a hole through a wall to run a 220V line for the oven.

Sounds like you've already figured out the solution.  :)
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
I don't have a 'shop' in our house in town, either. :'(   I do have a nice reloading area in the basement, though.......I'd go crazy without that. ;D    Bullet casting & reloading is all done there and I NEVER have to move any of the junk associated with the operation......I'm VERY grateful for that! :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2015, 07:59:12 AM »

If I am not mistaken, I have the same brand of HT oven as you.  Question, why did you go with the 220 instead of the 110?
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2015, 08:04:10 AM »
When I bought mine it was on sale. I think it was a custom size that maybe someone had ordered and never purchased or something like that. I think it is like 26" deep. Anyhow the 220 is suppose to heat up faster. 110 would be a lot more convenient though.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2017, 11:44:21 AM »
Been a while... Have any "New" news about your knife/tool making?
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
Nothing new. It's still "on hold" indefinitely while I raise some kids. :D

I have resolved to do things a little differently next time though. I am not going to muddle through with my Grizzly Grinder. I have had a few realizations about "buy once, cry once" and IO think I am going to get a very nice grinder next time, with variable speed (water cooled would be even better) and I will keep the Grizzly outdoors for sanding handle materials so my shop doesn't become a huge mess like it used to.

Right now I just don't have the funds or the time to give it the attention it deserves.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
 I have this handy and almost knocked the new off it on my New Years river trip. I'm testing all my kits and I'm going to use this one soon. You only raise your kids once. Look forward to your return to knifing thought.

This thing better through a spark!  :fire1:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »
Taking care of your family should always come first. I understand.
:)

Just curious if you had any new projects in the planning stages, that's all.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #274 on: January 06, 2017, 07:36:56 PM »
I have this handy and almost knocked the new off it on my New Years river trip. I'm testing all my kits and I'm going to use this one soon. You only raise your kids once. Look forward to your return to knifing thought.

This thing better through a spark!  :fire1:

Creek

still have mine too! works great, love that thing!