Author Topic: Dogs & Bushcrafting  (Read 23740 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
     I was thinking a bit today about my bush partner, Duke. We haven't been out for a few days since I am working on a finish trim job about 25+ miles one way from our home. The weather has been cold...sometimes not even above -0-deg. F. for the highs. Duke doesn't care much about the cold, he just wants to get out in the sticks. My having to work each day has put a bit of a damper on our getting out a few times a week. He is not happy with that, & complains each time I leave to go to work, as he thinks I am going off to the sticks without him, even when I tell him I have to go "work". ( I even wear a different jacket so he knows something is different. Doesn't matter..) Regardless... It got me to thinking, as I drove to work today... There are about 750+ B&B members now & I was trying to think of who has dogs for Bush pals , & I could only come up with a few member names. I connected me & Duke, & then went thru the following:

Madmax + "Max"

Woodsrunner & "Zip" +plus I think there is another or two, but "Zip"is the one I remember right now.   

Woods Woman has about five or six bush buddies that are dogs, & I know that ones name is the same as my bush pal(Duke).

Wood Trekker I think, has a dog or too,but I do not know the names.

Imnukesc has a beagle( I think,might be a basset hound) that likes to get on his bed, but I do not remember the name, nor if he has another dog buddy.

I think there a few more, but I cannot recollect them at this time,nor during the time I have been thinking on this... I apologize if I missed anyone, but it has plumb escaped me, to remember any more folks & their dog friends.

No matter if I remember or not... That is only about 5-6 that I remember that take our dog pals out to the sticks with us, on occasion. Some take them out almost all the time, & others only occasionally... But they go out with us.. That is around a number that is less than 1% of the membership of this forum. I am pretty sure that that percentage does not reflect on the percentage of folks who have dogs as their pals. So that brought some things to my mind...

So.... I have 2 questions...

1) If ya have a dog(s) , what is its' name(s) & do you take them with you when ya get out in the woods bushcrafting/camping, or the like?

{I take Duke out almost every time I go out....as most of you know.}

(Pics are welcome, but not necessary)

2) If ya do take your dog out with you, please tell the things you do if you only go out for a few hours or , if you go out for a few days & nights?

{I, take my buddy, Duke, with me most every time I go out, unless there is a good reason not to take him. He sleeps where he likes... Either, next to me on the ground, or some where close. ( if I am in a hammock). I only tie him up when there is good reason to do so. ( coyotes near, or other folks in the area. things like that.) I feed him what I/we are eating after we are done. No special foods brought along. I do bring a dish for him most times.. I can think of more thing but I want to leave some  things for any who wish to reply here.}

( I.E. - Food you take along, or do you just share your eats? Do you take bedding , or share yours? Do you tie up your pal at night, or leave the dog(s loose to make  up their own mind if they should stay,or roam? Things like that...)

I have a couple of more questions, but maybe this topic will grow & they will come out as things go on...

So... If ya have the time & would like to share anything about your dog(s) & if they get out to the bush/woods/sticks/etc. with ya. I'd bet there is more folks than just me, that would like to hear about it. Or, see pictures.... if you can share the pictures with us. :)

I sure hope that there are some here at B&B that will share their thoughts on this topic.. I know I am sure curious to know what folks here at B&B have to say about their dog partners& getting out into the bush/woods with them...

BTW... Even if ya don't have a dog as a bush pardner... Maybe you can tell us why ya don't, or  even why, if ya do have one... Why ya wouldn't take them out & along with ya on trips to the outdoors...? That would be interesting to hear about also...

:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
My buddy is Opie the Golden Doodle.  He comes with me on my hikes and keeps me company. 

This is him as a pup.  He's an 80 lb boy now.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
MnS, we have two beagles. They go with us pretty much everywhere we go whether it be to town or hiking/camping.
They ride in the canoe with us when we are out in the canoe fishing.
They've climbed mountains, etc.
Being that we live in the woods, they are 'free shorties' and run around here as they please, except they have to be in before dark.
We don't carry bedding for them because they BOTH sleep with my wife in her mummy bag. Sunshine sleeps at her feet and Zero sleeps up by her chest. They have done this since they were puppies.
We carry dog food for them, they both use to have little backpacks and carried their own food, bowls, etc.
A couple of years ago we were coming out from a camping/fishing trip and they both lost their packs in the brush somewhere :shrug: :mad:
We generally don't ever tie them up in camp, we just let them run around and torment the snowshoe hares ;D
They are 'brother and sister' from a different litter. She was nine in November and he was 8.
We have to watch where we carry them these days because of wolves :(
We have them around here, but they tend to stay up higher or in the winter down on the ranches. Basically, where ever the elk are.
There pretty good pups...
We've had MANY folks tell us that they have never known any beagles that were so well behaved :)
We taught them at a very young age that barking and or howling is not allowed in the house.

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
Good subject, MnSport.   I'd like to learn more on this one.

Yes.. I have six dogs..but I dont know wich ONE I'm going to try to train to go out with me.     Goldie never shuts up..so she's the first one scritched off the 'go out' list.  Buddy would never lay still..or even be in camp with me.  Hershey is lame.  Tina sleeps with me at night..but she'd growl at every noise.  Sweety is Hubbys dog..her and I just stay in our own corners...  So that leaves Duke..  and he's never had a collar on so this should be interesting. 

Do you guys take along dry or canned foods for your dog?   And do you bring along a water bowl/water bottle just for the dog?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
Good topic, MnS.  Unfortunately, due to health issues I don't get out and about like I used to.  Since I live on a few acres the dogs have plenty of room to roam, but I have an underground or "invisible" fence so the dogs don't leave the yard.  I'm pretty much surrounded by woods on three sides.  I do take very frequent strolls around the property checking on the things, looking for bird's nests in the spring, tending to various shrubs and plants, picking up dead limbs, etc. and the dogs (and the cat) are right there following along.  If I've got the right pic, Butterbutt, the half basset/half???? is on the left, the cat in the middle is Maggie, and the 30 pound Heinz 57 on the right is Griz (or Grizzly, really).  As you can see, they don't like each other.  Due to the coyotes here now, we keep them in at night, but during the day, the doggie doors are open and they can come and go as they please.  Your topic has given me an idea, though.  This spring I'm going to have to have my 7 year old grandson over here for a camp out in the back yard.  (I'd much rather have him camping out on a river bank fishing for catfish, running trot lines, etc., but I'm just not able to physically do that stuff any more.)  The pups can stay out there with us.  They are both actually very good watch dogs.  I dont' know for sure, but I bet the cat will be right in the thick of things because she would much rather be outside at night hunting than cooped up in the house.  (The cat is one murdering little machine!)

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »
WB.....I didn't know you had a bush pal dog! Good looking one too! :) Even as a pup, Opie looks like he would like be a fun one to be around when out & about! Can you tell us some of the things about going out with him on your trips... like if you take him on overnights & things like that. I am interested. :D

Bearhunter,
    That's cool that you have 2 dogs for bush pals! It it nice to hear they have the run of the place. I can't usually do that with Duke very often, as I live in a small rural town & the laws don't allow it. That is one of the reasons I take him out to the sticks as often as I can. To get him out & let him be "free" & roam about & run all he wants. ;) He does go on lil trips of his own once in a while, without permission. He is almost 5 & every once in a while , he uses that good nose of his to locate a possible "date". Sometimes it takes me a while to track him down other times, he just comes back on his own.  :( Luckily , no one has called the law on him , yet... Knock on wood. He is not "fixed", as I want to get a pup out of him sometime, but with the "date" of my choosing, & not his...LOL :D  So I hope he isn't too successful in his own dating travels.

Thnx for sharing some of the things you have done with the dogs along, and some of the things you do. :D

WW, sounds as thought Tina  and/or Duke will be the candidates for your dog companion on any trips out & about. :) Although leaving any of the others back might be an issue. The others may want to go, even if you don't want them to. They might make a ruckus & complain. That would be a bummer.. Hopefully you'll get the chance to let us know how things turn out when ya get the chance to tell us. :) I'm glad ya like the topic, I thought it would be interesting too.

imnukeensc,
    I appreciate you responding, Butterbutt... that's the name I couldn't remember. Ooops.. Sorry to Butterbutt for not remembering his name..LOL Griz looks like he might be a good one to travel with too. Not sure about the cat, Maggie though... I am a dog guy, but my experience with cats is that they like to do their own thing a lot , so I am not sure that a cat would hang out, or just go off on their own. :) Sorry to hear that you aren't able to get out like you would like to do. That idea of having you & your grandson camping out in the backyard is a good one & could make for some good memories for both of you...& the dogs. ( Maggie too, if she wants to..LOL ). :)

Thnx for sharing with us!

Thnx again to all of ya so far. I hope there is more. There have been 4 posts  but 50+ views as I post this. Hopefully others will share their answers with us too, rather than just looking. Even if ya don't have a dog , you can still post. Let us know your thoughts about the topic/subject. I know some folks don't like having dogs around when they are out. Not sure why, But I have some ideas. Maybe someone would post & tell us why they wouldn't want to have them around. That would be interesting to hear as well as ones who do take their dogs along..

Thnx again, both the ones who post & the w=ones who just peek in.. But, being a "forum", I'd like to see a few more posts. That is the reason a lot of us joined..LOL To read & to post. Jump right in... the water is fine...
 ;)

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline 04man

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »
I have four dogs that I love to be around. Three Weim's and a Heeler/Corgie mix. Mostly we run in the open areas and bush and seldom in too public of a place. Seems most civilized folks fear dogs first and accept them later. They only get leashed in the back of the truck for their own safety.
I'll add that they are outside only dogs 'cause they'd track the outside inside on their feet.

When I camp/hunt I've usually got at least one or three with me. The Heeler/Corgie is damn smart and chooses when to listen which creates a problem but that's another story. How can you be a true dog lover and leave them behind? I think you can tell a lot about a person through dogs and kids! And I'll add that we have never had a sitter for our boy. Typical civilized folk think we're a 'funny' family; one big pack!

When I get more free time those dogs will carry their own food. I really like those doggie packs. No reason I should burden that load as well. We camp out of my little trailer kinda like a base camp or a patrol base depending whom I'm with! Dogs and humans re supply there.

Offroad exploration is so slow that the dogs run along side smelling the millions of new smells to be had!

Offline Derej

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Here is my bush-dog.

Her name is Honey Bea. I wish I could take her more places with me.
Also, Im of the opinion that my dog is never off leash except in her own back yard. She listens better than most children on the trial but you never know what may spoke or excite her to run off.

She carries her own backpack with food/water and her bowl, a spare first aid kit for both of us, ID for her and where we are at that trip. Sometimes, if cold, she will carry her own sleeping pad and/or knife.

- Derej
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 - Lao Tzu

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »

Betty is my constant companion. except for work, climbing and occasional trips to the bar we are together. I share my food and my bivouac with her indoors and out. I pretty much treat her as an equal except where 'dogness' doesn't mix well with 'society-ness' then she's at heel....or ignoring me and listening to moles burrow...I could have been more strict.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:00:22 AM »
Max.  He pretty much goes where I go.  I think he got about 110 nights out in 2012.  I feed him dry food (Blue).  He has 2 of those collapsible cordura bowls for food and water.  He minds very well and leashes well too.  I don't leash him unless there's likely to be people around.  We've run into bear, wounded downed deer, poisonous snakes, and all kinds of small critters.  When I say STOP!  He has always obeyed.  He knows the boundaries of camp and never goes very far over them. He is one fine bush buddy.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »
That's cool you guys have good dogs to take out with you.  I have a lab that is scared of her own shadow, I tried taking her out and all she'd do is hide under my truck and not come out.  I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and I have no idea why she's so skittish like that.  She just isn't comfortable anywhere but home.  It's sad cause I was wanting a duck/goose dog and woods roaming buddy when I got her. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:47:15 AM »

04man,
   Thnx for telling us about your 4 pals! :)
I think I should see what I can do about one of those dogpacks for Duke also. That & a sled for winter. He's about to be 5, so I don't know how he would do with either, but I think it is worth the try. Then he can carry his own stuff, rather than me sharing mine. Although I haven't cared doing it for this long, you folks are making me think I been a "sucker" for doing it. LOL ;) So, I think he should start carrying his stuff. LOL

Thnx again for sharing!
 :thumbsup:

-------------------------------

Derej,
    Thnx for showing us the pic of "Honey Bea"! Great looking pal! Sad to hear she doesn't get to roam much when out in the sticks, But you know her best.Would hate to hear of her having a bad experience, or roam too far. Once again, it is cool to hear of dogs that carry their own load! :)

Thnx again!

-----------------------------------

Binilath,

Good looking buddy there in the pic! Thanks for showing us!
 :)
Your comment below the pic just about basically describes the relationship I have with Duke. :) I see you even put a nest/pad of boughs down for Betty. That's a thoughtful thing to do for your pal. Shows ya care, & I wonder if you thought anyone might notice that detail. ;) LOL I do the same thing for Duke. Pretty cool!

Thnx for joining in!

-----------------------------------------
madmax,
   Thnx for giving us another look at Max & telling us a bit. :) I was hoping you would post up another pic of Max! :) I think he is a sharp looking dog! :) He looks like you described him, seems like he is smart stouthearted & loyal. I would like to see what one of those collapsible bowls looks like if ya get the chances one time. I just use a steel one.

Thnx again for sharing!

-----------------------------------------------
OutdoorEnvy,
     Bummer to hear about your lab not wanting to get out hunting & in the woods with ya. :( I guess sometimes our pals don't always join in with us, even though we want them to very much. I am sure you have tried  doing a lil bit at a time, but I wonder if you have ever tried taking your lab along when you go out with your daughter. Maybe that might be the ticket to persuade the lab to get out more? Dunno,but if ya haven't tried,give it a thought? :) Might work a bit.
BTW, what is your labs name,please?

Thnx for taking the time to post!

--------------------------------------------
Been a cool topic so far...Hope to see more bush pal dog pics, & a little more about how you spend your trip out in the sticks & what you or they carry along!
Or,if ya don't have a dog for a bush pal, why not? I think it would be interesting to hear about that too!

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »

OutdoorEnvy,
     Bummer to hear about your lab not wanting to get out hunting & in the woods with ya. :( I guess sometimes our pals don't always join in with us, even though we want them to very much. I am sure you have tried  doing a lil bit at a time, but I wonder if you have ever tried taking your lab along when you go out with your daughter. Maybe that might be the ticket to persuade the lab to get out more? Dunno,but if ya haven't tried,give it a thought? :) Might work a bit.
BTW, what is your labs name,please?

Her name is Roxy, yes I've tried everything I can think of.  She's 7 now and for the first two years I really took her and tried everything.  Even neighborhood walks, going to the lake and walking the shoreline, taking the family, no family.  I gave up.  I still try to take her out from time to time but honestly it's so pointless I don't bother much anymore.  She's terrified and looks miserable and it ruins any outing I take her on.  It's just a bummer.  And I don't want two dogs and of course kids and family are attached to her so when she goes I'll get to try it again.  I'm hoping I can go with a respected breeder kennel next time to almost ensure I get a dog interested in the outdoors.  I'm thinking maybe a springer spaniel for the next one...
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
This is Skipper:

He's a pure bred mutt and a great hiker.

He is the dog my wife always wanted, and when she saw he needed to be rescued she didn't hesitate.  Now he's my best friend.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:42:34 AM by beanbag »

Offline Derej

• Mill File+
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »

Derej,
    Thnx for showing us the pic of "Honey Bea"! Great looking pal! Sad to hear she doesn't get to roam much when out in the sticks, But you know her best.Would hate to hear of her having a bad experience, or roam too far. Once again, it is cool to hear of dogs that carry their own load! :)

Thnx again!

Honestly I think even being off leash she wouldn't roam far. She is so codependent I think she might freak out if she couldnt see me.
Plus the leash is the compromise, I promise she stays on the leash and the wife "allows" me and Beas to go into the woods. Now that I think about it maybe Im the one on a leash, being walked by my dog.

- Derej
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 - Lao Tzu

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »

Her name is Roxy, yes I've tried everything I can think of.  She's 7 now and for the first two years I really took her and tried everything.  Even neighborhood walks, going to the lake and walking the shoreline, taking the family, no family.  I gave up.  I still try to take her out from time to time but honestly it's so pointless I don't bother much anymore.  She's terrified and looks miserable and it ruins any outing I take her on.  It's just a bummer.  And I don't want two dogs and of course kids and family are attached to her so when she goes I'll get to try it again.  I'm hoping I can go with a respected breeder kennel next time to almost ensure I get a dog interested in the outdoors.  I'm thinking maybe a springer spaniel for the next one...
OutdoorEnvy,
     Thnxfor telling us about "Roxy", even though she isn't what you wanted as far as hunting & being"outdoorsy". But, I would think she is likely a great dog, with you & your family otherwise. I know folks who have dogs with great pedigrees & championship sires & dames that are outstanding hunters, but every once in a while folks will pay a lot of $$ for pups, & the dog ends up being "gun-shy", or just plain won't hunt. I think it happens more than many folks realize. Regardless, hopefully you will end up with a dog that you can take with you out hunting & outdoors sometime in the future.
Thnx for sharing with us!

------------------------------------------------------

Beanbag,
    I think I remember"Skipper"from one of your outings before.I may be wrong, but maybe with Woodtrekker?  Anyway,Looks like a fine bush pal, & I bet you & Son o' enjoy him going along with ya out & about.I think that in the pics he sure looks like he is enjoying himself, being out & about.

Thnx for sharing the nice pics with us! BTW...That one pic at the bottom looks like a fine spot to hang out in the sticks. ;)

Thnx again!

--------------------------------------
Now that I think about it maybe Im the one on a leash, being walked by my dog.

- Derej

LOL Derej, I think there is more than just you who has felt that way once in a while also! :)

Thnx again for your reply!
-------------------------------------------------

I am sure enjoying this topic! I hope everyone else is also...
I know there are more folks out there who could share with us, dog pal, or not.
Hope to see more comments on this topic.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 07:10:16 AM »
Skipper looks full of attitude.  Like he's 10 ft tall.   :)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
Skipper looks full of attitude.  Like he's 10 ft tall.   :)

Oh yeah, he thinks he's king of the forest. >:D

If I had trained him better, or if he would tone his act down a little, I might be able to take him camping instead of just hiking.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
We have a new pal. His name is Jasper. He is a purebred Miniature Australian Shepard. He came to live with us about a week ago. He was given to my Missus as a B-day present. We have a 17 year old Border Collie/Springer, named Buddy, who we are not sure how long it will be, before he leaves us. So our friends decided to see if the Missus would like a new puppy. She thought it over, & said. "Yes." So they brought him to us last Sunday. He is a very active & smart lil bugger & he even seems to know his name already, or sure acts like it... As he looks at you & comes when you say , "Jasper" to him. Anyway, although he is basically my wifes' pal, I thought I would introduce him, & share a couple of pics. He will likely spend at least a few trips out in the sticks with Duke & I, in time, as he gets older. The pics are not good quality as once again I used the cellphone, but you can get an idea anyway.

Here he is, looking up at the missus when she said , "Jasper".:

With Duke, deciding who gets the ball, & who gets the "dog rag" to tug on...:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 12:06:35 AM »
Congratulations MnS... He's a cute little fellow :D

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone

Offline shane

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 06:07:56 AM »
My dog's name is Light, as in he will light your @#$ up lol! At one time I was active with the local Sheriff res where I worked mantrailing and body recovery using Shepard and blood hounds. We owned, raised and trained our own dogs so I had a contact with a very strong breed of Czechoslovakia Shepard's that were bred for the border patrol there. He is a great intelligent dog that scares people inpart to his size and high drive but I made a point to never allow him to show any aggression towards strangers and within a few tense moments people realize he is a big clown.

It depends on where I go if I bring him or not because in Louisiana like a few other southern states our woods can be pretty hostile to dogs with the abundance of poisonous snakes that abound around watering holes, creeks and all manner of down logs. I lost a dog once to a water moccasin more a result of the snake biting into the dogs jugler vein than anything as most of our dogs have been bitten several times over the years.

I like having light with me as he will range in circles constantly search the area for people and will alert me to animals or people that are in the area. I have taken him with me out of state several times but again people see him and freak or they have a dog that freaks who will bark all light at him so when going on group trips if there will be other dogs I leave light at home.

I will get you a pic . He is the best German "Shedder" I have owned. Now my Malinois was the best ever but but he has since passed on. I would like another mal one day.
Making one of a kind tools, one at a time -shane

Offline bigwolf

• Mill File+
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »
Here is my girl Milly. She comes with me the majority of the time. Great little companion. This pic is from when we first got her. She is a year in a half now.

Offline bradleybuckman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »
There are a lot of good looking dogs in this thread. Back in December I finally broke down and decided to get a dog since I was able to be home more often. I had only planned on getting one, but I fell in love with the other one and couldn't go home without him either. They are Labradoodles named Max and Jake. They are just over 3 months old, but they've already been on two camping trips and look like they are going to make great hiking and camping companions.

My ambition is handicapped by laziness.

Offline Seeker

• Mill File+
  • Woods Loafer
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »
My dog's name is Pete.  He's probably half black lab and half blue heeler.  He's got a sad history, but is happy and healthy now.  He's 11, and has been ours for 5 years this summer.  He has no lower teeth worth mentioning due to wear from chewing fleas, and the base of his tail is permanently bare from his experience, but the hair on his back did grow in.  He is the most intelligent dog i've ever seen, and at the same time is absolutely lacking in common sense.  kinda like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.  he sees you coming out the back door onto the porch.  if you're wearing a coat and shoes, he gets up off the mat to let you out the porch door.  if not, he knows you're just going to the closet i use for a shop, and he doesn't move.  if you're sweeping, he gets up out of the way and watches, then lays back down when  you're done.  when i plug in the table saw on the porch, he gets up and moves to the other end.  when i reach up to pull down the attic stairs, again,  he moves out of the way.  he does a good job of come, sit, shake, lay down, stay, and stop (when ahead of you, off leash).  he will let you take food out of his mouth.  he leaves the cat alone EXCEPT when that cat (with whom he sleeps) starts playing with his favorite toy (which gets the cat a long, soft bite on the head, and sometimes a growl for good measure.)

he has slept out with me in the woods, and somehow knew that the fox on the other side of the creek was both unreachable and not going to hurt us.  he left the nutria playing in the creek 25' away from us alone all night.  he never moved as an otter caught and ate a fish on the bank opposite us.  he does his best to tree squirrels, and about the only time he barks is when he's got one treed, or a stranger comes in the yard.  I can even stop him from running after deer we've jumped in the woods.

but he's an idiot around possums and raccoons.  absolutely goes stupid when one comes within earshot of the campsite.  we even had to bring him inside to sleep at home because he was up all night, running out the dogdoor on the porch to chase them.  i took him out the first time camping on an island.  he was up literally all night, chasing a raccoon.  i took him out another time, along the creek mentioned earlier, and again, i was up all night over a couple raccoons.

i don't take him out overnight anymore.  just day trips.  he likes to hunt squirrels with me.  i normally take a bowl with me, just a cut off milk carton, for him to drink from.
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.
John Muir

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
MnSportsman

A very nice thread.. My security team, Jason a 130# German Sheppard and Scooter a 60# hound mix, these guys are very accomplished bear dogs.  We are out in the forest every day on predator patrol.. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mc_fudUcezk/UR_Xj-3gyLI/AAAAAAAAAHA/aHntAo2_x5Y/s640/Bear%2520Dogs.jpg

I also have a trained attack cat that goes out walking with the dogs and I, as long as the weather is favorable... Jasper  https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-56fWsBZRpUk/UR_X8nWcJbI/AAAAAAAAAHM/fLa9Ogy54iY/s640/Jasper.jpg

My big friends go on protracted hikes with me, they are just lounging around the yard here.  They are Big Redd, Black Bart, Rex(who is my little brother) and the Shade (Shady Lady) .. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iWOl8cWAzh4/UR_YPg9YBbI/AAAAAAAAAHY/our0tmTY8zc/s640/Horses%2520in%2520yard.jpg

My little brother, Rex) the handsome chap in the hat..https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5MZzrUqUMkI/UR_YlFqdahI/AAAAAAAAAHk/xW5yUqsJgNo/s640/Rex%2520Hat.jpg

It is good to live in the mountains and have the time to do stuff with all of my animals every day...  John

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 05:16:03 AM »
Thanks to you all, for sharing your info about your dog pals!

Just lately, Shane, Bigwolf, BradleyBuckman, Seeker, & John Van Gelder, were nice enough to share with us some of their pics/links, and or tell us about their bush buds.

I would like to see more, if possible. With over 800+ members here, there should be more folks who take their pals along on trips. It would surprise me if only about 1% would take their dogs along.

Anyone else have any comments, tips, pics/links to share?

Offline Welding Goats

• Mill File+
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 07:20:36 AM »
This is my bush buddy, and occasional foot warmer, Phoebe.

Since joining the family, she has been with me on all my camping/hiking trips, sans one. I spent a couple of nights in Big Bend in the Fall and she wasn't able to accompany me as Big Bend NP wouldn't grant her access. She is still a little miffed about that!

The 'runt' of the litter, she'll turn 2 in June.

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »
Great thread MnSportsman,  :) automatically smile when ever i see a dog  :D

My girl is named Sashe and she is a rotti X that i rescued from the SPCA 12 and a 1/2 years ago when she was about 3 months. .
These days im workin the vinyards and she comes along and hangs out and does her thing, but this particular vinyard is very steep and just to get at the block im pruning is a chore, so i've been living her at home every other day and she does not like it one bit >:(  But i always walk her to town and back when i get home (4 kilometres). .And she is always with me when we go camping/canoeing/fishing/hiking etc. .

We got a really fine spring , summer and fall lined up this season and i got several gaps t'ween work from mid april tell end of may (free time) then all of august as well :thumbsup: so plenty of BUSHTIME comming. .

Heres a pic of one of our fav spots. .I was getting some wood with the canoe and she followed me along the trail. .here she is resting on a log (great fishing spot) and thats my bus in the back ground

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 10:14:16 AM »
Life is good and even better when you have animals...

This guy is not mine, but he used to let me shoot off his back, he is a Percheron and weighs just over 2000#, a truly gentle giant.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_d3u8owe6OQ/USem4s6yJtI/AAAAAAAAAKU/AUxz_cp3um0/s694/Horse+Archer.jpg

Offline John Van Gelder

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »
MnSportsman

Again a good thread, I hope posting my friends that are not dogs has not hijacked the thread.  There are a lot of folks that take Lamas with them to pack their gear when camping.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »
Finn the dog. He's about 9 months old. Some kind of border collie mix. Maybe some beagle and spaniel in there, too.

His favorite thing in the world is getting out for a good, long hike.

"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
Life is good and even better when you have animals...

This guy is not mine, but he used to let me shoot off his back, he is a Percheron and weighs just over 2000#, a truly gentle giant.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_d3u8owe6OQ/USem4s6yJtI/AAAAAAAAAKU/AUxz_cp3um0/s694/Horse+Archer.jpg

Beautiful animal!
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »

MnSportsman

Again a good thread, I hope posting my friends that are not dogs has not hijacked the thread.  There are a lot of folks that take Lamas with them to pack their gear when camping.

Not a problem John.

I could have, maybe should have, posted the title differently.To include any "bush pals" that we take along with us when out & about.

Good looking pal there Diogenes...Finn looks like he is quite comfortable out there!
 BTW..Sorry to take so long to reply, but I hadn't thought of this topic until madmax bumped it. I am glad he did.

Thnx again to all who have shared with us here in this topic.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »
This is Opie in his natural environment  :).

And hiking with his backpack.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »
Man... Wilderbeast... I really got to get Duke one of those backpacks.. or make one for him... Thnx for the reminder & for sharing more pics of Opie!

BTW... Very Nice looking kitchen/dining area! Looks pretty cool! I better not let the missus see that pic...Or I'll be doing more work around here...
;)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »
Another bumb for a good thread.

Out of the primordial ooze...

My buddy in our first few months together.

Aaaaaah!

Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »
I have two, Rhea and Dexter. Rhea is the only one I take in the woods. She is very well behaved when she is out. Dexter is a highly aggressive rescue dog, so I don't like to let him run free when we might encounter other people.

This reminds me, I have to start taking her with me now that it is warming up.

Offline Bryan Breeden

• Whetstone +
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
Hi all,

Kelly Girl is my hiking buddy.  We went for a walk along the river today.

She just loves to sniff and roam the woods by the river that runs along the town we live in.  It is fun just to follow her and see where her nose takes us lol.

I love seeing all the pics of your hiking buddies too.  This is a very cool thread.
Bryan
My vendor Subforum  Breeden knives.
Breeden Knives

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
Here's some pics of ours...

Sunshine is 9 1/2 and Zero is 8 1/2.
These aren't the best pics, but they'll have to do. It's hard to get good pics when they won't set still long enough  :D...

These were taken at our friends house in town recently...

And now a public shaming photo... :lol:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:26:12 PM by Bearhunter »

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »
LOL!
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
LOL .. that last picture says it perfectly.    How cute. 

I've enjoyed this thread too.

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 11:11:46 AM »
LOL .. that last picture says it perfectly.    How cute. 

I've enjoyed this thread too.

WW.

She's always been a bit of a trouble maker WW :shrug:

Offline Bryan Breeden

• Whetstone +
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »
I love the pics Bear Hunter,  That last one really gave me a chuckle  lol.

Bryan
Breeden Knives

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »
I love the pics Bear Hunter,  That last one really gave me a chuckle  lol.

Bryan

Thanks BB :)

Offline Creb

• Mill File+
  • A Stones Throw from Big Brutus
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »
My go everywhere buddy is Frieda, a 75 lb black lab. She is 6 and lives to fetch, so much so that she can be a pain around firewood. The back seat in my car is hers and loves to ride for hours. She sleeps next to me both at home and under canvas. She has to have her own food due to allergies (still gets her share of human grub for some reason) and drinks out of a water bottle most of the time. Here is a shot of her guarding the shelter.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
My go everywhere buddy is Frieda, a 75 lb black lab. She is 6 and lives to fetch, so much so that she can be a pain around firewood. The back seat in my car is hers and loves to ride for hours. She sleeps next to me both at home and under canvas. She has to have her own food due to allergies (still gets her share of human grub for some reason) and drinks out of a water bottle most of the time. Here is a shot of her guarding the shelter.

Cool :)
I like your little canvas set up. And the pups cute too ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »

Woodtrekker,
I think I remember seeing Rhea in some of your Outings pics. I might be mistaken, but I thought she looked familiar anyway. Very good looking! Hope to see the pic of your other pal, Dexter, when ya have the time

Bryan,
   Thnx for sharing a pic of "Kelly girl"! Looks like a fine friend! I think ya may have mentioned her in another post recently. Maybe the Morning" topic...
 :-\   But, still a fine looking pal! Hope to see more pics sometime in the future!

BearHunter,
 Sunshine & Zero look like they are well loved!
Dunno if there is a better way to deal with a sausage grabber either...LOL The dog looks like it knows what is on the sign...LOL I am guessing it is "Zero", though...

Outstanding Creb! Freida looks like a great pal!

I understand "all about" your pal being a a "pain" around firewood. Duke is the same way. Can't set down a stick, no matter the size, or he thinks it is his to play with, & chew on...
 ;)

Thnx to all of ya for sharing your pics of your pals! Stories are welcome too!
Hope to see more in the future!

Edit: for correcting the spelling of, "a pain"... Yes it is a pain sometimes...
So is BFLK, meaning "Big Fingers Little Keyboard"
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:04:07 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
Thanks MnS :)

No that's Sunshine. She's always been a little trouble maker!
Zero is a little angel compared to her. He really never does anything wrong except that he likes to rub and wallow in bear s$&t whenever he gets a chance.
I reckon he just can't help himself :shrug:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »
LOL  Them is our buddies... Gotta get the "stink" of Nature on them... No matter how rank it is...
 ;)

Offline Bryan Breeden

• Whetstone +
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
Thank goodness we do not have any bear poop. Kelly Girl would be rolling in it too  lol .
She thanks it is the best perfume when she rolls in stuff.

Beautiful lab.  Just as black and shiny as can be.  That is cute about the firewood  lol.

Bryan
Breeden Knives