Author Topic: Dogs & Bushcrafting  (Read 25353 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Re: Dogs & Bushcrafting
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 07:14:08 AM »
 Bump for the new folks.

Been a while since we were introduced to some new bush pals that go out with our fellow B&B members.
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline pgallagher6

• Vendor
  • Whetstone +
    • BestBushcraftKnife.com
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »
Here is my bush-dog.

Her name is Honey Bea. I wish I could take her more places with me.
Also, Im of the opinion that my dog is never off leash except in her own back yard. She listens better than most children on the trial but you never know what may spoke or excite her to run off.

She carries her own backpack with food/water and her bowl, a spare first aid kit for both of us, ID for her and where we are at that trip. Sometimes, if cold, she will carry her own sleeping pad and/or knife.

- Derej

I had a "bushdog" for many years until she passed away -- so far can't bring myself to find another.  But, that picture TOTALLY reminded me of my Jo.  Almost exact same with different coloring on the coat - beautiful dog.  Of all places, I found her in a dog pound.

Jo was almost never on a leash, but was very unusual in that she would heal naturally (from the 1st day together).  I never taught her anything, but we just liked being together.  She totally just "got it."  She was amazing, and I used to get comments about her bahavior all the time, and she became somewhat of a local fixture - nobody knew me, but they sure knew Jo.  I used to tell her to chill out when I went into a supermarket, and she would just stare at the door (again, no leash) until I came out.  I never taught her any of this.

We did some winter treks together that were brutal, but she was a fantastic dog for this.  There were times when it was so crappy that I'd have to carry her over large parts of icy scree, and I would wonder what we were trying to prove.  I remember suffering through a horribly cold night on an outcropping together, and she was inside my sleeping bag with her head on my face. 

I modified some saddle bag-style packs for her, and she'd carry up to 15 pounds no problem.  She, in fact, seemed to absolutely love it, and summer treks I didn't have to carry anything because she seemed to enjoy doing the heavy lifting.  I would have to hide the doggy pack from her, because if she saw me even go toward it then she would flip out thinking that we were going into the woods.

I also made a harness for her, and would take her tubin' on the sled hills outside of town.  She would literally run down the hill after me, then I would hook up the tube and she'd haul it up to the exact same spot everytime, and she would wait for me to trudge up.

I had one period where I nearly lost my mind, and hit the road on a 7000 mile journey.  She sat next to me the whole time.

Man, do I miss that dog.

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »
What a Great Read, I love this topic. This is my Bush Buddy "Rosie"

She is a Rescue dog,and the driving force behind most of my adventures. No matter the weather,she takes me
out to the Woods. So,cold or hot,wet or dry, I have to adapt my skills to the weather.
She is a great listener,never talks back or questions me. What a great partner.
Whenever I get my Pack out to load up,she starts spinning in circles. She is about 5, some knd of
Blue Heeler Mix,She was found in Merced Calif and ended up here in Washington .
I can never imagine going out without her,to lead the way.

Here is a Picture of her and Yote,my Brothers dog. I think they are doing a sleep-over.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:24:32 AM by Electric Cowboy »
Deus Vult

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
I don't know how I missed this one...I like writing about my two bone-headed beasts.

1) If ya have a dog(s) , what is its' name(s) & do you take them with you when ya get out in the woods bushcrafting/camping, or the like?

I have two hunting dogs, Harry and Sam.  They are both Deutsch Drahthaars, which is considered a 'versatile' breed; sometimes called a 'continental' breed, because they were developed in Europe to hunt upland birds, waterfowl, small furred game and blood track larger game.  They probably aren't what most would consider optimal bush dogs because of their high game drive.  I use mine to hunt just about everything and they go along with me on hikes, I just have to be careful where I allow them to be off leash.  Harry is getting old and although he was once a very wide ranging dog he now stays pretty close.  I have to constantly supervise Sam, he's into everything.  I have used them for doves, ducks, geese, grouse, partridge, rabbits and squirrels and tracking deer.  They will find and kill skunks and coons if you let them.  Sam even killed and retrieved a muskrat during duck season.  Harry has found and brought me shed antlers.   I have used them to pull a kicksled, I take them along on bike rides, and they used to jog with me when I was in better shape.   :-[
Here's a link to the breed if you're curious: http://www.vdd-gna.org/

2) If ya do take your dog out with you, please tell the things you do if you only go out for a few hours or , if you go out for a few days & nights?

I let them run and keep them within about 100 yards.  I have only done overnights, and only with Harry.  He either curls up and sleeps with me or lays at the opening of the tent guarding the door.  I generally don't take any food along with me on day trips, because I don't feed them if they have been active.  Harry's mother died from complications associated with bloat or gastric torsion.  I like to let them get home and settle down.  I have, however taken them on overnight or multiple day hunts and then I have to get some wet food to mix with the kibble to get them to eat at night. 

Harry helping to cook:

Harry by the fire:

Sam by the fire:

A raccoon they killed a couple of years ago:

Sam and his muskrat:

Harry and I a few years ago:

Pulling in harnesses:

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »
Dingaling in the swamp.

[imag][/img]http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/madmaxx3/IMG_0799.jpg
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2014, 05:53:16 PM »
I think you're over your limit on roosters there, Wes! :doh:

Just kiddin' :taunt:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »
There was five of us hunting that day, Harry found fifteen birds and a coon.  I'd shot a bird in the cattails and was trying to recover it.  I saw the cattails moving and started to reach for the rooster and Harry jumped in to grab it, but it wasn't a rooster, it was a pretty fair sized boar coon.  He probably saved me some stitches that day.   8)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »

Dingaling in the swamp.

[imag]http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/madmaxx3/IMG_0799.jpg

Madmax's photo that didn't come thru. Just trying to help him out,, since he is out in the sticks on his solo Pot & machete 2114 first outing.:
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
Right now we have a mini schnauzer, really more the wife's dog. Good dog button my idea of a camping dog. I miss my shepherd. IMO most any dog can be a good one if you get along with it.

By the way great pictures here.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 06:06:24 AM »
   I see we have a few more folks that have shown some of their dogs in some pics. I am bumping this one up to see if anyone else wants to share their bush buddies with us here.
;)

Offline Satchmo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »
Excellent thread!

I have a mystery mix named Cyber who doesn't come out with me. She's 80lbs of rescue and is very dog/animal aggressive.  I have done a couple of short hikes, but if there is a chance of running into off leash dogs, it's a nightmare. She'll also bark at any animal made noise, so I can't imagine trying to get her to sleep outside.

For now I'll just have to live vicariously through you guys.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
I don't know how I missed the thread JB, But its a good one and thanks to everyone for sharing your buddies.

Sasha, She is a red heeler, I think I've shared photo's of her on all our outings, but will do so here.
She goes everywhere we go. when its not to hot to leave her in the vehicle, she goes to the store or when we go out to eat, she sits very patient in the car and waits knowing her mommy will bring her a treat  ;)

She rides in the canoe all day and never makes a fuss. She didn't like the tent floor under her feet at first and slept under the cook table or beside the tent door on our first campout.
She's good on leash but we only put one on her, if we are in town, fleamarket, tractor supply, Etc.
She is great in the woods and loves treeing squirrels, tracking any game but will keep me in her sight at all times when out hiking or just roaming around.
She has treed opossums, coons, flush birds, alerted on a large Rat, (thing was the size of a squirrel) it was nesting in a flex drain pipe I had laying in the back of the tool shed, when I raised one end,out ran the rat right in her face, LOL, the chase was on, for a few minutes before she snapped it up, dead rat, then she went and buried it for me, good dog  :)
Being a heeler, she is very smart and a mind reader, LOL. Stubborn is what comes to mind the most. Sometimes she wants you to touch her then again she want let you.
She loves Kids and likes to grap your pants cuff or shoes, fetches sticks and balls, she may or may not give it back when she returns with it,  :-\
Here's a few photo's

The dish washer  :)

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 08:49:24 PM »
Here's my four legged buddy His name is Artemus he's a Jack Russell Tarrier, he go's out with me if I'm on a day hike but not if I'm on a mission, he's just too hyper.  I asked his  Vet. if he'd ever calm down the doc. said, "Oh he'll eventually calm down, when he's dead."   ???

Before Aksel (my 9 moth old boy) was born we use to rough house and play every day...

I do feel bad for neglecting him, he is a good pup!

I'll have to take him out for a hike this weekend!   :)   

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »
I don't know how I missed the thread JB, But its a good one and thanks to everyone for sharing your buddies.

Sasha, She is a red heeler, I think I've shared photo's of her on all our outings, but will do so here.
She goes everywhere we go. when its not to hot to leave her in the vehicle, she goes to the store or when we go out to eat, she sits very patient in the car and waits knowing her mommy will bring her a treat  ;)

She rides in the canoe all day and never makes a fuss. She didn't like the tent floor under her feet at first and slept under the cook table or beside the tent door on our first campout.
She's good on leash but we only put one on her, if we are in town, fleamarket, tractor supply, Etc.
She is great in the woods and loves treeing squirrels, tracking any game but will keep me in her sight at all times when out hiking or just roaming around.
She has treed opossums, coons, flush birds, alerted on a large Rat, (thing was the size of a squirrel) it was nesting in a flex drain pipe I had laying in the back of the tool shed, when I raised one end,out ran the rat right in her face, LOL, the chase was on, for a few minutes before she snapped it up, dead rat, then she went and buried it for me, good dog  :)
Being a heeler, she is very smart and a mind reader, LOL. Stubborn is what comes to mind the most. Sometimes she wants you to touch her then again she want let you.
She loves Kids and likes to grap your pants cuff or shoes, fetches sticks and balls, she may or may not give it back when she returns with it,  :-\
Here's a few photo's

My first thought after spending time in camp with Sasha was, "I wish I hadn't had Max fixed."  Can you imagine a whole litter of red heelers running around Kicco?  LOL  RUN KIDS!!!  ...and protect your heels.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2014, 03:52:57 AM »
I hear ya Tony :( Sure wish Max had it in him.  She will be two in Sept and I'm thinking of breeding her once. Got to find the right boy for her though.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:24 AM »
   Speaking of breeding. Duke is 6 now & I put the word out that I would like to find a mate for him to get a pup. Either another pup for us, or one for my oldest son,Sam, my DIL & the 2 grandboys. I think every child should have a dog pal around when they are a kid. I think it can teach responsibility & character from a young age. It also doesn't hurt to have a watchful eye on the child, or children, particularly in this day & age.
;)

Thanks for sharing the pics & such with us here , folks! Please keep them coming!
This has been a very enjoyable topic, as folks can see by the comments.
:thumbsup:

:D

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
I absolutely agree every kid needs a dog buddy if the family can do it.  I had a Great Dane that was my best friend and protector.  He'ld be sitting waiting at the end of our looooong lane on the farm when the bus dropped me off.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline jackalope10mm

• Mill File
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
All good looking dogs, I need to get me on to walk with. Thanks for sharing

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
We have a couple of huge Bulladors and just added a little Boxer to our family too:

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2014, 11:36:36 PM »
We have a couple of huge Bulladors and just added a little Boxer to our family too:

Both pics are great! But I have to give a :thumbsup: to the one with the kid.... Man... that just shows what it is all about!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Be nice if you'd share the name of the buddies in the pics....

If ya have the time.
;)

Offline bushman1130

• Mill File+
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »
love the pics of all your dogs guys good lookin bunch of bush dogs

Offline Duece111

• Whetstone +
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »
I have 2 dogs a small terrier cross and her litter sisters pup whos sire was a retreiver cross.their names are Ace and Duece(although everyone calls duece Donkey) i dont take ace out much anymore as she is getting older and has hip problems,i take the donkey with me as much as i can.i dont have pics on this computer but my avatar shows them
D.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »

Both pics are great! But I have to give a :thumbsup: to the one with the kid.... Man... that just shows what it is all about!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Be nice if you'd share the name of the buddies in the pics....

If ya have the time.
;)

Thanks!  The brown one is named Ranger, he is the alpha and  the kids guardian, the big black guy is named Wizard (he is Ranger's brother).  And the boxer mutt is named Chevy, we just got him and he came with the name (the dog has a motor - so we may keep it).  Chevy is 5 months old and is keeping big guys busy....

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
Bump
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the bump!

Goin thru this again , I need to update a bit. We lost our old dog of 15 years , the border collie/springer spaniel mix, Buddy, last year, but got a new buddy for the Missus. The new dogs name is, Jasper. He is a bit over a year old purebred Australian Shepard. Was supposed to be a "miniature", but at approx 50 lbs. I'd say he is a regular.
LOL
 :)

One of these days I will post a a couple more pics here to update... Duke is still here. At 7 years he is beginning to show a bit of gray, but then again...So am I. another LOL...
 ;D

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2015, 04:33:02 PM »
Man, I hate losing a good dog.

Max is still rabid for the outdoors.

Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Duece111

• Whetstone +
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
Finally got a couple pics of the dogs,beleive it or not they are related i got duece

When my sisters dog got into it with a neighbours golden cross my sister got her dog from the same litter as i got my older dog Ace

From what i was told there is terrier,cocker spaniel and border collie in the first litter plus the golden cross with the second dog.hope that aint too much to muddle through,was a PIA to type lol
D

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2015, 02:25:42 AM »
My dog had already the name Buddy when we got him from the animal shelter.
They knew the history of the dog, it wasn't the nicest ones, and then when the previous owners didn't want him anymore, they tied him to a tree in the forest in -26 celsius where he stayed fro at least 2 weeks. Eating snow for water and a homeless guy feeding him bread every now and then.
After those 2 weeks, the homeless guy went to the local pub in the near by village, told them about the dog, and that he had no money left to feed the dog as well, so if they could take care of him. So the villagers called the dog shelter who made pics of him, put it on social media etc, and within 24 hours I picked him up. He was still at the tree, they where not sure if he was aggressive or not.
After a hour or so watching him, his behavior, i went to him and untied him, and he never left my side again :-)
Now almost 2 years with me, we did a lot of training since he knew nothing, and now we are at the point where he listens very well, no leash is needed.
Unless we are in the woods, and he sees a rabbit or deer. Then he hears nothing it seems. But thats ok, he is too slow to catch anything.
He is between 4 and 5 years now, half German Shepherd, and half Caucasian Shepherd.

About trips, i try to take him with me on every trip I can. He has his own 'backpack / saddlebag' so he can carry his own blanket and food.

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
  Great story & great looking bush buddy! I wish you both many years of friendship, & time spent together!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
That's one of the coolest dog-rescue stories I've ever heard! :thumbsup:   Great looking woods companion, too. :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »
Something about rescues... They can be the most loyal companion you'll ever have.  Max doesn't like it when all 3 of us aren't together or he loses line of sight with us.  I hit him in the head almost daily with the door coming out of the bathroom 'cause he lies right there until I come out.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »
To be honest, after a few weeks I was considering to return him.
He didn't seem to be much of a watch dog, since I was mainly looking for a watch dog.
The day I wanted to make a decision about it, the chimney sweeper came by without ringing the bell at the gate, and walked right in.
Buddy pushed him with his front paws against his shoulders against the fence and barked right in his face, it looked very scary. He didn't hurt him though. I was a little shocked as it all went so fast, I shouted his name, and he let the guy go, and sat down next to me.
That's was sold me.

He changed a lot during the time being with us, in a positive way.
He still does not play with any toys or sticks, but loves his squeezy rubber chicken thingy that makes a sound.
All the standard stuff like sit, come, lay down, stay,  he knows now, and my girlfriend is now making good progress with the 'search' part, but it works only if we hide food :-)
He is happier, physically much better in shape (in the beginning he could barely run, with the previous owner he was mostly locked up in a house according to the villagers) and loves to go out.
And an awesome watch dog he is indeed :-)
Still a lot of work to do though.

It sounds all so nice, but in reality it is hard work. There are thousands of dogs in dog shelters, and many people take dogs from those shelters to give them a new home which is great.
Whoever wants a new dog, I always advise to take one from a dog shelter, those dogs need it more then a new born special breed high priced puppy.

Enough off topic.

Who else has a "mens best friends" that he/she takes out with him/her ?

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »
Something about rescues... They can be the most loyal companion you'll ever have.

Couldn't me more true !

Offline vallehombre

• Whetstone +
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2015, 07:55:29 AM »
The Flash Bandit aka Mister Biscuits, a (mostly)  Blue Heeler goes everywhere I do. He was a "tossed away" dog I got before he was weaned and before the coyotes found him.  At the time he was so young that I carried him around inside my shirt when it was cold and bottle fed him. The last dog, technically my son's, let a big black bear walk right up on me while I sat reading but she was about 150 years old at the time. Not that I felt threatened by the bear  but still, it could have been a lion. No similar worries with the Flash. He eats dry food and whatever I eat except coffee. Good bud - in the bush or otherwise with enough inherent high energy that it keeps me moving whether I'm in the mood or not. That's good too.

Offline Indiana Hillbilly

• Mill File+
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2015, 07:44:43 AM »
I'll have to post pictures later. I can't seem to be able to upload pics to photobucket. I'll ask in the appropiate thread.

I do have a male golden lab that is 15 months old. his name is gunner, and he absolutley loves being outside. I have always taken him with me whenever I spend time in the outdoors, and just to run errans in the truck. I havn't been on a solo overnight since we got him, but he does go camping with the family and out on our friends pontoon. A funny story was last november, we was at a party on the lake and was eating dinner outside when I couldn't find him. Well I went to the lake shore and sure enough he took it upon himself to go on a midnight swim. Couldn't have been more proud.

Offline Dude McLean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
 Ive got two dogs , one is a ringer for Mad max's dog but with a tail , Queensland heeler .. and a Scotish Deer hound,  think of a very  large greyhound with longer hair.. they are both about 2 years old and a bit wild but love to go in the bush with me..Mind me better in the bush than at home.. Mostly they sleep beside me , I take some food for them but like my Akita seem to catch some of their own food.. the deerhound always brings me the catch. so far as I know.. she hits Jacks on the run something to see, they can hit almost 40 mile per hour in about 3 strides.. 

no pics I can put up yet but will get to it..

the dog that went with me for years was an Akita , I had her until she died about 3 years ago,she was on countless treks with me over the years  went dogless for a year, first time in years I didnt have a dog.. then I got he deer hound followed by the heeler.. great guard dogs here in the desert rancho.. the deerhound has killed two coyotes , they use them a lot for coyote hunting.. The deerhound s name is Arrow, or Sweetheart and the heeler is called Dingo Dick or Stud Nuts..it started off  as Boddidly that way I had Bo and Arrow but his name changed as we went along..he answers  to all 3 names.. 

Just can picture myself with out a dog in the bush  ..

Had to drive to Colorado to pick up the deerhound as they are hard to find.. I didnt want her shipped..

all of you have some great dogs..

Dude

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:44:53 PM by Dude McLean »
I have been where the hand of man has never set foot.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
Sasha treeing a squirrel

Zig Ziglar

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:31 AM »
Love Sasha's coloring.  Man, she has energy.  And an Alpha female.  LOL.  Max used to go go go until dark thirty.  Now we hike in the morning for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and he hits the couch and doesn't move until Kelly gets home.  It's fun to watch him try and keep his eyes open all day on the weekends.  You can almost here him whine."I don't want to miss anything..."  He's caught squirrel, rabbit, chipmunk, a bird flying too low, and a bluegill (His favorite activity is fishing on a clear spring run like Rainbow River).  The catching is about done as he's a bit pudgy.  But we're working on that.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »

Some good looking dogs being shown here.

I finally got some recent pics of Jasper yesterday. Most of the rest were him as a pup. But they are on my phone & not too good quality anyway. So I used a digital camera this time. I am not a very good photo guy, so these are about as good as I can get them..
Anyway,    This is Jasper, our newest addition. The year old Australian shepard.
A close up for the first one. Hard to get one, as he is like a wound up spring letting loose, every time I get him out with Duke in the wilds. ( like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh, bouncing all around) He has a lil bit of snow on his face, by his right eye.

Watching Duke in the woods

Jasper & Duke the Choc. Lab. thinking... "What's that over there in the woods?

Playing with Duke & rolling in the snow.

There are a few more pics of him & them together, but that is certainly enough for now.
;)

It was about 27-28F & calm out & we had to get out & run anyway, so we had a great time. Took some pics made a couple videos & enjoyed the afternoon. Duke & Jasper had a great time once again, but were also happy to get in the truck & go home & have some snack treats.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2015, 07:37:06 AM »
Wow.  Great looking dogs.  LOL, yeah Australian shepherds do have A LOT of energy.  Add to it they are smarter than me and whew!  Sooooo trainable though.

I thought about getting Max a companion.  But he doesn't interact a lot with other dogs.  Not mean, but just ambivalent after the obligatory sniff, pee, then it's See ya.  He and Sasha did fine together (after a quick snarling, teeth baring, no contact, who's the Alpha spat.  lol).  But both were focused on their masters not each other.

Max looks like a hairy leaping forest creature when he's out when it's snowing jumping and snapping at snowflakes.  :)
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Indiana Hillbilly

• Mill File+
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
Ok.  I finally figured out to upload from photobucket.

This is Gunner.

He is a 15 month old golden lab.  He is my buddy

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
 Looks like a good boy.  :thumbsup:
Hunter S, Thompson

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2015, 04:58:12 PM »
  Thanks Madmax! I think many of are lucky to have some great bush pals to hang with.

Ind. H.B. -  Gunner looks like one good feller to hang with! I luv Labs. Miss my Chesapeake, Belle. RIP... :(
 But I luv the labs too!

UTC... That there is one helluva cute pic! Almost looking like... "Why ya make me sit like this? I wanna go play!"
 ;)

Thanks folks for sharing the pics & all!

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
For all those with "energetic" dogs... they do mellow a bit with age.

Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
LOL... Yes... They do!
;D

Online upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
Heck, mines very energetic and it's at least twice the size of in the pic I posted!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
LOL, Tony Sasha likes to sleep on her back a lot, especially on her big round doggie cushion. It's funny how the breed has a lot of the same actions an attitude. Love them heelers.

JB looks like you got some good companions there. Great looking dogs. If I had to pick another breed to go with Sasha, it would be a Aussie Shepherd.
Love labs to, heck I like all dogs, always have.

Great thread and everyone has some fine buddies.

Keep'em coming  :thumbsup:
Zig Ziglar

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »

This is my woods buddy. She is limited in where and what she can do but she is a real trooper. Loves to go fishing and sleeps on my bag in the summer and in the bag in the winter. I found her outside of ridgway co in the middle of nowhere. She had been abused, cigarette burns, matted hair, and a broken tail. The first four or so months I had her she was the politest dog ever , never wanting to offend and never demanded. Then one day she turned into the bossy little dog she is now, almost like a light switch. She never leaves my sight, at home or when we are out in the woods. Squirrels are her mortal enemy, and she is on constant patrol. In her younger days she brought us mice, small birds, lizzards, all inside the house laid by our bed. When it was just the two of us she slept on the bed, now she sleeps in the hallway where she can see into each bedroom. Her name is spot and all she wants to do in come inside your house, sit on your lap and eat whatever you are eating. 
Nice matters

Online upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2015, 06:11:30 PM »
I was finally able to get a decent one of Lulu sitting still. Very inquisitive she is.

Creek
Axes Rock!