Author Topic: Calling all chicken pluckers!  (Read 41450 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Calling all chicken pluckers!
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »
I don't believe in eating stuff that sound like it came out of somethings rear end.  :P
So that means you don't eat eggs?

I've run the numbers on raising chickens.  Best I can figure, there is no money to be made.  Between the feed, the expense of building a predator proof pen, and replacing what gets killed by predators and the neighbor's dog, I've lost more money than I care to think about.  But I raise them for fun and not for profit anyway. 
We increased our flock by 9 birds this year by hatching our own. Out of 20 eggs, we got 18 birds, and split them with the neighbor. After raising chickens for about 17 years, I've lost ONE bird to a predator, and that was a hawk.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
That's exactly why you very seldom, if ever, see a live chicken on any of the family farms anymore.   My brother and I were down at a farm supply store this Spring, picking up some supplies.   They had just gotten their supply of baby chicks in.  The price of each little chick was more than a whole fryer in the grocery store......so, unless you want to know what a real chicken tastes like, there is little incentive to raise them yourself. :'(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »
That's exactly why you very seldom, if ever, see a live chicken on any of the family farms anymore.   My brother and I were down at a farm supply store this Spring, picking up some supplies.   They had just gotten their supply of baby chicks in.  The price of each little chick was more than a whole fryer in the grocery store......so, unless you want to know what a real chicken tastes like, there is little incentive to raise them yourself. :'(
Glad I live where I do. My CornishX meat birds were $1.00/ea.  But the birds I bought came out of either Ohio, or Arizona, so I have no idea why they are so expensive in the Midwest. Like I indicated in my previous post, mine came in at $1.22/lb in the freezer.
And when we cull the cockerels from the home hatched flock, their only cost will be the few pounds of feed they ate.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »

Eggs. I like having a steady supply of organic free range antibiotic free eggs for the cost of an occasional bag of feed.

And I hatch my own chicks now so the flock is self sustaining with the added benefit of not risking the introduction of sickness into it each year.

Now that all my start up costs have been amortized over several years it really does make economic sense for me to continue raising chickens.

Plus I like having them around.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »
Glad I live where I do. My CornishX meat birds were $1.00/ea.  But the birds I bought came out of either Ohio, or Arizona, so I have no idea why they are so expensive in the Midwest. Like I indicated in my previous post, mine came in at $1.22/lb in the freezer.
And when we cull the cockerels from the home hatched flock, their only cost will be the few pounds of feed they ate.
The point is, that it is not economically feasible to raise farm-sized flocks anymore.....if it were, you would see chickens on almost every farm.  Even if the chickens came free in a fancy gift-wrapped box and corn @ $7.00+ per bushel wasn't a possibility, but stayed at $3.35, as it is this year.  Hobby flocks for home consumption exist because of concerns over preference over what goes into the birds in commercial flocks and texture of the meat due to exercise or lack of it.  Even commercial outfits went belly-up when the grain got too high....it's not now, but it will be again.  Just the way it's always been.....boom & bust in each segment of the food production cycle.  Some get rich one year and some suffer.....you just got'ta take your turn & you will! 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »
...  Just the way it's always been.....boom & bust in each segment of the food production cycle.  Some get rich one year and some suffer.....you just got'ta take your turn & you will! 8)
I admit I'm dependent upon the feed production cycle. My layer formula has gone up 25% in cost over the past 10 years. I also admit I can't sustain even a dozen birds year around on what I can grow on 1/4 acre.  I can sell eggs to buy feed, and still have a surplus, but if the commercial feed source dries up, I'll be in a trick.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2015, 12:58:04 AM »
It just occurred to me that the title of this thread sounds slightly immoral.

LOL.

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2015, 06:16:04 PM »
I"m glad you brought this one up again.    I'm in the process of gathering chicken coop supplies and will be getting chickens this spring. Wyandottes are the ones I've picked. Those and the new Red Rangers for meat birds.   

I'm also going to raise  Brown Corturnix quail.  I've got most of my cages built now. 

Eggs are going to go quite high in price , or so they predict.   

What kind of chickens do you guys raise?  Anyone willing to sell some eggs for me to incubate? :)

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
I, too, am considering becoming a chicken plucker.

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »
This is getting to be the talk of the 'town'  chicken sites....   

http://www.whizbangbooks.com/    Scroll down to how to make your own wizbang plucker.

Watch the video towards the bottom.   

I wish I had the smarts to build one myself.  I sold my plucker years ago. :(

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2015, 11:57:27 PM »
I"m glad you brought this one up again.    I'm in the process of gathering chicken coop supplies and will be getting chickens this spring. Wyandottes are the ones I've picked. Those and the new Red Rangers for meat birds.   

I'm also going to raise  Brown Corturnix quail.  I've got most of my cages built now. 

Eggs are going to go quite high in price , or so they predict.   

What kind of chickens do you guys raise?  Anyone willing to sell some eggs for me to incubate? :)

WW
I have Australorpes, Brahmans and Americanas.  The Americanas lay blue eggs and are as prolific as the Australorpes. An Australorp holds the record for the most eggs in a single year from one hen.
These birds are the ones I finally singled out as the most disease resistant, and they do just fine in -20F Montana winters.
Last year we got an Australorp rooster, and ended up giving 2 dozen eggs to a neighbor who had a broody hen.  Out of 24 eggs, she raised 22 chicks.  The ol' boy obviously wasn't shootin' blanks!  ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2015, 01:32:01 AM »
Do all three breeds have short combs OP?   I'll look them up tomorrow, too tired to do it tonight.   I'm still on the fence on what kind of coop I want to build. 

I've been enjoying the rabbits.  I was just out there 2:30 am to check on them and they are all laying out in the open by the door, enjoying the night. Its -11 out there.  So I just sat on the straw bales and watched the sky for a few mins talking with them.  One buck three does.  Hoping to breed them next month. NZ doe, mixed does and California buck.

WW

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2016, 06:59:32 PM »
Back like Lazarus from the dust, it's time to pluck more chickens!

After all these years, I tried something new. Wearing gloves while plucking. Whoda thot?

These are the type of glove. Like fishing gloves, they improve your grip on slippery things. They worked the dream on plucking my Cornish X's today, and I got 3 slick as a whistle in under 20 minutes!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
I've 'spatchcocked' quite a few chickens for grilling or even for roasting in a shallow Dutch oven, but never have I completely de-boned anything except my deer. :shrug:

This is how I prepare whole chickens for the smoker. But I go one further and separate them into halves. It makes it easier to crisp the skin on the grill just before serving.