Author Topic: Calling all chicken pluckers!  (Read 41303 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Calling all chicken pluckers!
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »
Don't know nothin' 'bout pukin' chickens :puke:, but my Gram'ma used waterglass (sodium silicate) to preserve eggs.  Here's some info.....

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Food/storing_eggs.html
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Coating eggs to preserve them
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
I started oiling the eggs I had to wash this year. The reasoning behind coating the eggs is to replace the natural substance the chicken deposits when they're laid. It keeps the air and other contaminates out. The egg's shell is porous, so over time the egg inside will "evaporate".  The important thing to remember is that artificial coatings aren't as good as Nature's, and an egg should never be washed if it's not caked with dirt, poop, or egg yolk (from another broken egg in the nest).

If you have to wash an egg, use the hottest running tap water you can stand, and be quick about it. Commercial egg washers run about 120oF.  If the water is colder than the egg, any contaminants on the shell will be drawn inside the egg!

I'm using mineral oil, but there are some controversies over it, because it's a petroleum product. The old time (and preferred) coating is "waterglass" (sodium silicate).  It only takes a tiny amount of whatever you use to coat several eggs. The last 6 dozen eggs I treated only used a little over a teaspoon of mineral oil. Coat your hands with it (or wear gloves), and rub the egg.

Another thing to remember is when you boil (hard or soft) an egg that's been treated with oil or waterglass is to prick the shell with a needle first. The shell is no longer porous, and the expanding gas in the egg will make it break open when cooking.  I've also discovered that hard boiling requires about 5 extra minutes with coated eggs.   :-\

As for storage, don't store eggs in a "frost free" refrigerator. The humidity control will dehydrate the eggs in the shell!  Less of a problem with oiled eggs, but still an issue.
I have stored unwashed, untreated eggs up to 6 months in the refrigerator at about 35oF.  Eggs coated with waterglass normally last 9+ months.  The gal on the Preppers show was hard boiling oiled eggs at 12 months.

An unwashed, untreated hen egg will last around a month just sitting on the counter. After all, they can sit under a hot hen for 21 days, right?

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
Don't know nothin' 'bout pukin' chickens :puke: , but my Gram'ma used waterglass (sodium silicate) to preserve eggs.  Here's some info.....

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Food/storing_eggs.html
Sorry about the duplicate on the waterglass info, Wolfy. I replied before seeing there was a Page 2. Oops!
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
OP... our neighbor had a hen that did that.   They butchered her and did some investigating... there was a piece of wire sideways in her gizzard.  :(        There were alot of stones in there too...and after asking a vet about it the vet thought that the hen knew there was problems and ate more and more 'grit' to undo what was going on in the Gizzard.
Well, that sucks!  I hope that isn't what happened with mine. She's still a good layer.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
OP..do you have a hand held metal detector?    :)     Or even a big one...  have someone who's ring/watch/bracelet free hold the bird and run it over her.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »
OP..do you have a hand held metal detector?    :)     Or even a big one...  have someone who's ring/watch/bracelet free hold the bird and run it over her.   

WW.
Yes, and that's a good idea, as long as it's metal, and not a stick or something else she picked up in the yard. Definitely worth a shot, though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:28:53 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »
OP covered it but yes I believe she was using mineral oil, and said up to 9 months. She did say in a cool dark place.
Take it easy,
Red

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2012, 07:29:34 AM »
I've done a little research on chickens, I still need more information relating to the climate of north Florida, as well as general knowledge before I add them to the farm. I plan on getting that info from the locals then follow that resource to those that provide chickens for the area. I appreciate the knowledge you guys are offering, you have expanded my knowledge with this thread, thanks.

I do like the idea of a chicken tractor, that just makes sense. I don't know if free ranging them is a good idea, I like the eagles and hawks that live on the property, the coyotes have not been a problem, yet, but I imagine a few chickens will bring them in and the tractor idea gives me the opportunity to lure them into target range "o) Mostly I'm thinking it would be handy for renourishing the resting plots that will cycle in and out of being the active vegetable garden.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
Hushnel, PW made a 'sticky' for this kind of information just a day or two ago.  For this kind of information, I have always found very useful information on state university ag extension websites.  I looked to Florida's ag resource extension service and found this for you....

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_poultry

Being that you are now a new Cracker Homesteader, I wager that there are other useful pieces of good reliable info in there that you can use, also.  If you DO find it useful, you could add the homepage address to the 'sticky' list for future reference.   I have gotten lots of good FREE info from different state ag extension services.  Every state in the union probably has one and, being a taxpayer, you've already paid your dues 8)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »
Thanks for the link Wolfy, I have that one saved as a favorite, I've used it to find links to agricutural and breeders associations. I actually attended the University of Florida back in the 70s, thanks for reminding me of it.

Gainesville is just 35-40 miles south of the the farm. I may even take some classes there.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
If you do want to free range your birds, get a few Guinea hens...   they will alarm the whole farm to whats in the air above them.... loudly....

And they'll attack snakes with a vengence....  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
New neighbors
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »
After trying to help my new neighbor catch her vagabond rooster, I find I'm not the only one with a rooster in the neighborhood. Thanks goodness! Now people can be mad at both of us at 6:00 am!

Her bird is a young Leghorn, and just finding his voice. It's funny! Compared to him, my Australorp barks like a Great Dane, and hers sounds like a toy poodle! Hahahahaha!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Calling all chicken pluckers!
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
They'll still be mad at YOU OP, because they can tell they difference... Yours is louder :P 
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
They'll still be mad at YOU OP, because they can tell they difference... Yours is louder :P

No doubt.  My rooster crows louder than the neighbor's husky barks.
BTW, have you ever heard a chicken growl?  My rooster growls.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »

No doubt.  My rooster crows louder than the neighbor's husky barks.
BTW, have you ever heard a chicken growl?  My rooster growls.
Oh yeah, kinda like a rumbling growly noise.
They can make all kinds of wired sounds. Especially when there's other Roos around.
Trust me... We would no. We've got WAY to many roosters around these parts :shrug:
Most are destined to be canned for meat and to help make broth though ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »

I've canned 6 qts of broth over the past 6 weeks. Absolutely the best thing for making rice, instead of plain water.
Actually, I'm making a bit from a chicken back right now in the pressure cooker as a treat for the dog on her breakfast tomorrow.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »

I've canned 6 qts of broth over the past 6 weeks. Absolutely the best thing for making rice, instead of plain water.
Actually, I'm making a bit from a chicken back right now in the pressure cooker as a treat for the dog on her breakfast tomorrow.
Ummm... That sounds delicious :drool:
And your certainly right about the rice ;)
We try to use broth for pretty much everything instead of water in our dishes. It just adds so much flavor to most everything.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
Speaking of chicken pluckera....

I wonder how Big Hat is coming along with his 4 pets and tractor?

You have 30 layers, my friends have 24, and I feel like a piker with only 12. I hope Big Hat's made it through the winter okay. Don't remember where he's located.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »
My brother just donated 18 qts. of broth, that he saves from pressure cooking chickens, to the Senior Citizens Center here in town.  He did it one year for their annual Chili and Chicken Noodle Supper and now they depend on him doing it every year. O:-)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 09:02:38 PM »
My brother just donated 18 qts. of broth, that he saves from pressure cooking chickens, to the Senior Citizens Center here in town.  He did it one year for their annual Chili and Chicken Noodle Supper and now they depend on him doing it every year. O:-)

Holy... ! 18 qts is a LOT of dead chickens!

I should probably clarify that what I can is technically "stock" rather than broth. I reduce it down to where it practically jells after it cools in the jars. We use it as a concentrate when making broth for cooking.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »
Speaking of chicken pluckera....

I wonder how Big Hat is coming along with his 4 pets and tractor?

You have 30 layers, my friends have 24, and I feel like a piker with only 12. I hope Big Hat's made it through the winter okay. Don't remember where he's located.
LOL..,
We really have too many, but we do sell a lot of eggs :shrug:
When the hens really start producing, we generally have a waiting list!
And we eat a lot as well. We also give some to a good friend of ours that loves eggs too :)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »
That's awful nice of him :thumbsup:
I bet they make some damn good chicken noodle soup ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:39 PM »
That's awful nice of him :thumbsup:
I bet they make some damn good chicken noodle soup ;)
Holy... ! 18 qts is a LOT of dead chickens!

I should probably clarify that what I can is technically "stock" rather than broth. I reduce it down to where it practically jells after it cools in the jars. We use it as a concentrate when making broth for cooking.

Yeah, we eat a LOT of chicken! :doh:   He saves it in plastic containers and freezes it, but he doesn't think he'll give them as much next year.  He thought they probably used ALL of it, because it was pretty rich....too much of a good thing!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »

LOL..,
We really have too many, but we do sell a lot of eggs :shrug:
When the hens really start producing, we generally have a waiting list!
And we eat a lot as well. We also give some to a good friend of ours that loves eggs too :)

We started out 12 years ago selling them for $1.50/doz...until I figured out it was costing ME $2.30 to produce 'em!  :P
We give ours away now. Last year we gave 24 dozen to the Food Pantry. I figure what I'm going to do in a couple weeks is make the rounds of my neighbors within 1/8th of a mile, and give 'em all a dozen eggs as a peace offering, just for putting up with my new rooster.  :rolleyes:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
So, in essence you're paying for 'protection' from the local Rooster Police? 8)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
Yeah, we know that we're not really making money in the long run by selling them, but we still enjoy raising them :shrug:
By selling some eggs, it at least helps offset the cost.
They really don't cost us anything much except when there's snow cover. Which up here is generally at least 6 months of the year.
Plus we raise 30 or so meat birds a year in addition to our layers. As I sure you know... We definitely could buy cheaper chicken from the grocer, but it just don't taste the same... Same as the eggs. And we know where it all comes from 8)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »

Damn straight! They can't complain if they're accepting 'contraband'. Hehehehe.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
:lol:
Kinda sounds like he's 'bribing' the neighbors don't it :P

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

Plus we raise 30 or so meat birds a year in addition to our layers. As I sure you know... We definitely could buy cheaper chicken from the grocer, but it just don't taste the same... Same as the eggs. And we know where it all comes from 8)

We have a friend who refuses to buy store eggs since he's tasted ours. We know he's holding out, so we are sure to get him a couple dozen a month.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »

We have a friend who refuses to buy store eggs since he's tasted ours. We know he's holding out, so we are sure to get him a couple dozen a month.
My wife refuses to eat ANY chicken or eggs unless they're ours.
I will eat other chicken and eggs sometimes, but not very often. I'll get a roasted chicken for lunch when were in town sometimes, but that's about it.   

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm selling my first 2 dozen eggs of the year tomorrow... WHOO HOO :banana:
I'm rich... I'm rich :P

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »

I just BOILED my last 2 dozen eggs of last year. LOL! Sitting here having chips, egg salad dip, and a tall cool one.
 :popcorn: :cheers:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »

I just BOILED my last 2 dozen eggs of last year. LOL! Sitting here having chips, egg salad dip, and a tall cool one.
 :popcorn: :cheers:
Very nice OP!
A hard boiled egg and a "tall cool one" both sound great :)
I don't have any old eggs to hard boil right now, not do I have any beer, but the beer parts going to be remedied tomorrow when we go to town ;)

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2013, 12:02:04 AM »
My great grandpa used to keep chickens (we live here now and don't have any). My cousin keep some free-rangers now.

Wish I could raise some livestock. I've always wanted to raise goats. But we'd have to spend a fortune in fencing and I'd have to find some fainting goats. Our neighbor lady's a lawn nazi and would pitch a fit if they get into her yard.

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »
I don't have any old eggs to hard boil right now, not do I have any beer, but the beer parts going to be remedied tomorrow when we go to town ;)

Gotta start making your own chokecherry wine. No more trips to the store for (ugh) beer.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »
Ours are free range. I guess you couldn't even have free range chickens if your neighbors a "lawn nazi".
I'd probably gets some goats just to piss her off ;)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:25 AM »

Gotta start making your own chokecherry wine. No more trips to the store for (ugh) beer.

No  chokecherrys up here OP. Just some huckleberries, thimbleberries, Oregon grape, and elderberries. That's about it.
We have made elderberry wine, but the wife uses the test for pies. I don't even like pie :shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2013, 12:17:27 AM »

Back in WA we got hogs. Their stomping around drove all our moles into the neighbor's yard, and under their above ground pool. In two years, the center of their pool was 8" deeper than the edges.  :P

No  chokecherrys up here OP. Just some huckleberries, thimbleberries, Oregon grape, and elderberries. That's about it.
We have made elderberry wine, but the wife uses the test for pies. I don't even like pie :shrug:

Elderberry is good. Huckleberries are very good, but ya gotta watch the acid.
Actually, you can make wine out of anything that ferments,
Here's the real secret: water, sugar and yeast produce alcohol. Flavor it with anything you want, including Kool-Aid.  :shocked: :crazy: :spider:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2013, 12:22:45 AM »

Back in WA we got hogs. Their stomping around drove all our moles into the neighbor's yard, and under their above ground pool. In two years, the center of their pool was 8" deeper than the edges.  :P

Elderberry is good. Huckleberries are very good, but ya gotta watch the acid.
Actually, you can make wine out of anything that ferments,
Here's the real secret: water, sugar and yeast produce alcohol. Flavor it with anything you want, including Kool-Aid.  :shocked: :crazy: :spider:
That's hilarious :rofl:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:03 AM »
Heck, I forgot whortleberries. We have those too.
One of our friends picked enough of those little things one year to make several bottles if wine. It was delicious, he even gave us a bottle!
I don't mind picking berries, but I don't have the patience to pick enough of those little things to make a batch of wine.
Hmm...
The wiki pics aren't what I've always called whortleberries :shrug:
They are these TINY little red berries that are very sweet and delicious. They grow as ground cover up here.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
BH, are they called salmonberries?

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
Never mind, that's a highbush variety.

Try going to Wikipedia and searching "low bush berries."

PMZ

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »
Were selling 8 dozen eggs tomorrow :banana: 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:36 PM »

"I can eat 50 eggs"

-Cool Hand Luke 8)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »
Never mind, that's a highbush variety.

Try going to Wikipedia and searching "low bush berries."

PMZ

Sorry Trek, I just saw that you posted about this :doh:
I can't for the life of me find out what they are called. We studied all the understory plants in forestry school, but I don't remember those TINY little berries ???
I guess I'm going to have to take a pic of  the little plant and carry it to the U and see what they say.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »

"I can eat 50 eggs"

-Cool Hand Luke 8)

I'd like to see ya try Wolfy :lol: :P

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2013, 12:08:51 AM »

I can't for the life of me find out what they are called. We studied all the understory plants in forestry school, but I don't remember those TINY little berries ???
I guess I'm going to have to take a pic of  the little plant and carry it to the U and see what they say.

Can you post a close up picture here?
Mooseberry?
Mossberry?
Bearberry?

You really have me curious.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »

Can you post a close up picture here?
Mooseberry?
Mossberry?
Bearberry?

You really have me curious.

I can't tomorrow because we're going into town, but I will on Thursday. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »
Anything look familiar?

Mossberry:

Bearberry:

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »
It's none of those 3 :shrug:

Nope