Author Topic: Learning To Make A Knife  (Read 3231 times)

Offline crashdive123

• Water Stone
Learning To Make A Knife
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
I've been fortunate to meet some very experienced knife makers in the Jacksonville, Florida area through the Jacksonville Knife Club.  One of the things that we try and do as often as possible is hold "demonstration days" to introduce the craft to anybody interested.

I will post any events that we hold in this thread.  There is never a charge.

Additionally, for anybody that comes into the Jax area and wants to learn to make a knife, you are welcome at my little backyard shop.  Shoot me a PM and if we can work it around my work schedule we'll see what we can get done.

Offline rtaylor129

• Whetstone +
  • Banned
Re: Learning To Make A Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »
I wish there was someone in my area that did this :( I can fix any gun for ya but when it comes to knives I am clueless :(
Banned for trying to scam members and lying.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
What a generous offer. I'll be in touch next time I'm coming to Mayport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:11:15 PM »
I have a question, but not sure in which thread to ask.
Working with wood for years, I'm familiar with the whole "50-grit", "120-grit" step method of sanding. But working with metal is foreign territory for me, other than sharpening lawnmower blades, and shovels.  :P
There are all sorts of materials that are used as "grit" on belts and paper. Do you have a specific type of belt you use, or recommend?
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Thanks Crash, I work up that way sometimes. would love to meet up.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline crashdive123

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:40:39 AM »
I have a question, but not sure in which thread to ask.
Working with wood for years, I'm familiar with the whole "50-grit", "120-grit" step method of sanding. But working with metal is foreign territory for me, other than sharpening lawnmower blades, and shovels.  :P
There are all sorts of materials that are used as "grit" on belts and paper. Do you have a specific type of belt you use, or recommend?

There are a lot of choices for materials on belts.  For my 50 grit belts I use either ceramic or a 3M yellow belt with carbide (not positive on the material, but will find out).  For the rest I use aluminum oxide belts (sometimes ceramic).  They are not the greatest choice, but they are affordable.  At some point I do want to experiment with better quality belts.

To give you an idea on prices - I get the 50 grit ceramic belts for about $4 each, 50 grit "yellow" belts for $8 - $12 each, aluminum oxide belts for about $2 each.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »
Crash, thanks for such a generous offer. You're not too far up the road from some of us here, maybe a couple of us could car pool up there for one of the demonstration days.

Offline crashdive123

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:41:36 AM »
Crash, thanks for such a generous offer. You're not too far up the road from some of us here, maybe a couple of us could car pool up there for one of the demonstration days.

Sounds great.  We have a meeting tonight that I'm going to try and make.  We should be setting the calendar for some things.  I'll post when I know.

Offline crashdive123

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »
Our next demonstration day will be in March.  I'll get the exact date and details as soon as I can.  It will be in Baldwin (near intersection of 301 and 90).

Offline crashdive123

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
We had to move the March demonstration day.  Our next one will be April 12th.  It will be in the Baldwin area (a little west of Jacksonville).  We'll provide the hotdogs and chips.  If anybody is interested, send me a PM for the address.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
We had to move the March demonstration day.  Our next one will be April 12th.  It will be in the Baldwin area (a little west of Jacksonville).  We'll provide the hotdogs and chips.  If anybody is interested, send me a PM for the address.

Can't make April 12th, but would be interested in a future date.

Offline crashdive123

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »
I'll let everybody know when we do it again.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
I'll let everybody know when we do it again.

Thanks Crash. I'm pretty sure we can get a group of Kraks to come your way.

Offline crashdive123

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »
Our next demonstration day is July 19th.  It's in Baldwin - if anybody is interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you the address.

As always - If you're in the Jax area and our schedules meld, you're welcome to stop by for a little knife making session.