Author Topic: NEW CAMMENGA BASEPLATE INDUCTION DAMPED COMPASS  (Read 4069 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
NEW CAMMENGA BASEPLATE INDUCTION DAMPED COMPASS
« on: February 16, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
I was not aware of this new Cammenga D3-T 'Destinate' INDUCTION DAMPED compass until this evening. :P.    If you are shopping for a new baseplate-style compass and hate bubbles in liquid-damped compasses as badly as I do, this might be the solution.  If you are not aware of the Cammenga Company, they are the current supplier of all of the lensatic compasses for the U.S. military.

Here's the Amazon listing....scroll down for close-ups.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMMENGA-TRITIUM-PROTRACTOR-COMPASS-DESTINATE-MODEL-D3-T-NEW-2013-MODEL-/310702350505
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:11:50 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
Re: NEW CAMMENGA BASEPLATE INDUCTION DAMPED COMPASS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
Thanks Craig, Now that I got this new wolfy approved Nav book I probably need a good compass to help me learn.
By the way< I haven't heard if Zammer received the pass around book, Have you?
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
Haven't heard anything yet......I'm sure he'll let us know when he does. :)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 12:24:03 AM »
Nothin yet boys...hopefully some time this week.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:08:50 AM »
I'm really liking the idea of a non-liquid dampened protractor compass.  After my Ranger did the bubble thing, I've lost faith even though they replaced it for free.   Nothing worse than having one do this while you're out and need it.  It would be nice to have an inclination needle in it, although I don't use it that much.

Thanks for posting this, I may have to think on this one down the road.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »
That is a cool looking compass Wolfy. I did go on eBay and found a couple more of them.

The one thing I haves been able to see is the manufacturer date on these, because the tritium only last 12 years. That is why I haven't bought one of the folding lensatic models because my luck it would stop glowing in two years.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:55:45 AM »
That is a cool looking compass Wolfy. I did go on eBay and found a couple more of them.

The one thing I haves been able to see is the manufacturer date on these, because the tritium only last 12 years. That is why I haven't bought one of the folding lensatic models because my luck it would stop glowing in two years.
From information gleaned elsewhere on this model, I found that it wasn't introduced until the latter part of 2013.   That means that they all should be 'fresh' and the tritium should be good for many moons to come.  This is the first time I've even seen them offered. :P   The main reason I used the Amazon listing was for the excellent pictures.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
I'll be curious to hear if anyone gets one and how it works and whether it's worth it.
I don't think I could be sold on the price. That's a very expensive baseplate compass.
I don't hate bubbles that much. ;)
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:50:33 AM »
I can't understand why it's so pricey, either......it can't be as expensive to produce as the military's tritium model, yet they are not any cheaper.....

http://www.amazon.com/OFFICIAL-MILITARY-TRITIUM-LENSATIC-COMPASS/dp/B001W2CJX6

Probably because it's made for 'recreation' and as we all know, everything related to to that category is gon'na cost 'ya! >:(

No matter what size bubbles are, they are a distraction and an aggravation.  The bigger they become, the more they affect accuracy, but no matter how big they are, BUBBLES SUCK!  :pissed:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:55:49 AM by wolfy »

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »
I would think the high cost is due to the tritium tubes them selves.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
I'm sure that's it, but I'm surprised that they offer it in tritium ONLY.....the military 3-H model is offered in both, tritium and a less costly phosphorescent model.   I'll bet that after the 'new' wears off, with the initial offering, the company will begin offering that option on this model, too.   Very few people I know, are involved in 'night ops', making the phosphorescent model more than adequate for most civilian useage. :shrug:

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
I wish I had occasion to use a compass more often. I'm a fair navigator, but don't get much practice. I've got a couple and that one is as nice as any I have. I tend to use my BSA compass if I need one. Dead reckon most of the time. That would be a sweet addition to the war bag. Looks like I could read it. That's a plus too. New materials in the bases and better printing techniques helps the old eyes big time. If they threw in some nice maps would be cool.  8)

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 05:10:52 PM »
oh..I forgot to add that I really like the induction dampening. I have not used a compass of that sort. I have used some other equipment with that type dial and it was pleasant. I have used tons of liquid dampened and no matter how reliable the method has been, newer is better. If you happen to smash it, it doesn't get you slimy either. My 2 cents..

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
I wrote a review on the RARE OLD SILVA type 6, induction-damped compass some time ago and posted this eBay listing there in that thread, as well.   This is newly listed & there are no bids on it right now.  It's old Pre-China Silva quality that will probably never be available in the U.S. again.   The seller is from Canada, so you boys up there might be the ones to best take advantage of it.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SILVA-WORKING-COMPASS-TYPE-6-SWEDEN-/310875054033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486198dfd1

This old girl looks pretty ratty, but I'm sure a little Flitz Polish will clean it right up.....I've bought worse looking than this, by a long shot.  They polish up really well!

SOMEBODY needs to own this from here at B&B, so tell me if you bid so we're not dueling over it! :duel:    If it goes 'til the end of the auction with no bids, I will try to snipe it.....PM me if you are going to bid and I'll stay completely out of it! O:-)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »
CAVEAT EMPTOR:  This compass has been out for several years now, so I went looking for some reviews on it.   From the various reviews, I was surprised to learn that it is proving to be WAAAY less than I expected it to be.   There are almost no good reviews on it!   It is 'not available' or 'out of stock' at Walmart & Amazon which I discovered after checking the link on the OP.   Too bad.....it sounded like a good idea from a well-known producer of induction damped compasses, but from what I can gather in a quick search, this thing is a dud and................ ..NOT WOLFY APPROVED! :shrug:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 12:12:56 PM »
I have the Camenga lensatic version without the Tritium.  No tritium saves you $20-$30.  I have no plans to navigate in the dark and if I need a quick bearing, I also carry a flashlight to gin up the phosphorescent paint.  However, unless you are being shot at, I think it is safer when you can see where you are going.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
I have a twin to yours then, QC......really good and ACCURATE sighting compass, but heavy and not really that great for use with a map.  That was why my hopes were up for the new Cammenga D3-T, but alas, it was not to be.   :'(

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
It would do pretty good for triangulating your point on a map as long as you can sight some high ground.  In Texas, a) we don't have much high ground but b) we have too many trees in the way anyway.  Yes, it is heavy but if you leave that electric can opener at home, you will never notice it.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
The military Cammenga is a featherweight instrument compared to some of the surveying-type sighting compasses I enjoy playing with in the field.  They are a pure joy to use, though......and SUPER accurate! :)