Author Topic: Walk along the river  (Read 974 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Walk along the river
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
My daughter got home from work today, and invited me to take a walk with her and her Lab along the local river. She likes this 2 1/2 mile groomed trail for walking the dog, since it keep the mutt from getting into too much trouble with wildlife. This trail is part of a State-wide "rails to trails" program where old RR beds are converted to hiking/biking trails. Only issue around here is that it's still pretty wild.

The trail winds through some cottonwoods along the river. Looks peaceful enough, but 2 years ago there was a cougar up in those trees watching folks on the trail. He was "discouraged" by local lion hunters.

This is one of the views along the river.

A hundred yards down the trail we saw our first fellow hiker stopping for a drink.

I call this an OOPUArt (Out Of Place Urban Artifact). LOL!  Left over from a failed land development project. Yea!!!

After fording a small feeder creek, we were out on one of the sandbars. The whole area was dimpled with tracks.

The place was covered with deer tracks...no surprise.

Lots of polver (killdeer) tracks right next to the water.

Then I got a bonus!  The next series of pix is for comparison. I put my Kershaw Blackout next to each track for size reference. The knife is 4 1/2" long. Check out the bottom track!

I found some coyote tracks.

Of course, the Labrador had to leaver HER tracks right in the middle of everything. She weighs 80 pounds, according to the vet.

And then these! Probable wolf.

Nothing earth shaking, but it was a fun walk.
Thanks for coming along.
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
Re: Walk along the river
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:46:11 PM »
Very nice.  Sometimes those trail walks can be just right.
Love finding the rare wild fireplug.  They usually dont reseed as a rule but from time to time a volunteer wild seeded plug may be found.  Kind of like tumbleweeds, they tend to like areas of previous human occupation.  Something to do with disturbing the soil and native plant life.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
Very nice.  Sometimes those trail walks can be just right.
Love finding the rare wild fireplug.  They usually dont reseed as a rule but from time to time a volunteer wild seeded plug may be found.  Kind of like tumbleweeds, they tend to like areas of previous human occupation.  Something to do with disturbing the soil and native plant life.
:lol: :hail:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline backlasher

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 05:51:37 AM »
That looks like a good place for a nice, relaxing hike and the tracks are a bonus.  Thanks for the pictures.
There's more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than can ever be done - Circle of Life - The Lion King

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:12:06 AM »
Good stuff, OP.  Thanks! 
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »
Nice pics.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »
Thanks, gang!
Winter before last, my two sons and I were on that trail, which makes a couple of loops and returns to the trail head. Sort of a double figure 8 design. There was about a 1/2" of snow, and after hearing what we assumed was a deer in the bush, on our return loop we found where a black bear had crossed our back trail.  It went into the bushes in the center of the loop, so we just missed intercepting it on the back side. Even though this trail is only a few hundred yards from several houses, we don't hike it without carrying some sort of deterrent with us. ;)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
Nice place and great pics! Thanks for taking us along.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart