Author Topic: NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD  (Read 49802 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD
« Reply #300 on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »
and your good neighbors to the North had to wait another 22 years.   :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #301 on: March 01, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
 :banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers: :thumbsup: :crazy:
Here's to the next 150  :cheers:
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #302 on: March 02, 2017, 09:11:02 AM »
NOT TOO BAD  :banana: :birthday:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:36:36 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #303 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
I caught a Pilger once on a live shrimp.  But it was short.  I threw it back to get bigger.

lol

Happy Anniversary Nebraska!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
Well, it's the first day of May tomorrow and I heard on the weather report tonight that Hitchcock County in southwest NEBRASKA is under a BLIZZARD WARNING!   They are expecting over 14" of snow and high winds along with it, but up here in the northeast corner of the state, we should only be getting 1" to 6."   It will be sunny & 70 degrees on Tuesday, so like I've mentioned before, IT'S NOT TOO BAD!  :rolleyes:   Heck, we were just beginning to find the first nice morels last week.  Might have to get the snowblower out to find them this week. :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #305 on: May 16, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
This brand new video from NEBRASKA GAME &. PARKS shows some living history reenactors at Fort Atkinson......just about 90 miles south of me.  Some of you may remember me yammering about it in previous threads. :shrug:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #306 on: May 17, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »
You do, "Yee Haw!"  in Nebraska?  lol
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »
Good one MM.  Too thin to plow and too thick to drink.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely been the monsoon season here in Nebraska this May.....it's been raining every day for the past couple of weeks.   This is normally the time of year when we get our most rainfall, but not usually this much at one stretch. ???   According to the prognosticators, we were somewhat below 'normal' for soil moisture before this all started, but as you can see in Tony's video, that is no longer the case.  If you get lemons, it's time to make lemonade. ;)

A country boy CAN survive. ;D  :canoe:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »
I  hope you guys get dried out.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »
Oh, that'll happen alright.....usually by mid-July, when we need it most, you couldn't buy a drop. >:(

You probably saw that center-pivot irrigation system on standby in your video.....they get a workout during those dry times!  :rolleyes:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »
One (of many) subject of American history that was sadly covered in my education was the Dust Bowl.  I was well into adulthood when I actually dug for the whole story.  I felt shorted that it was not better covered. 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »
A really good book on the people and 'heart-of-the-dust-bowl' areas in the panhandles of Texas & Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and southeastern Colorado is entitled THE WORST HARD TIME by Timothy Egan.  If you'd like to read what it was like for the people that stayed in it for the duration, rather than hitting Route 66 for picking jobs in California.  It made THE GRAPES OF WRATH look like a family vacation by comparison. :-\

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
Thanks. I'll put it on my list.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2017, 10:26:38 AM »
A really good book on the people and 'heart-of-the-dust-bowl' areas in the panhandles of Texas & Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and southeastern Colorado is entitled THE WORST HARD TIME by Timothy Egan.  If you'd like to read what it was like for the people that stayed in it for the duration, rather than hitting Route 66 for picking jobs in California.  It made THE GRAPES OF WRATH look like a family vacation by comparison. :-\

Great book, really put a face on what depression and the dust bowl years were like.
Nice matters

Offline lodge camper

• Mill File
« Reply #316 on: June 08, 2017, 05:55:53 AM »
we saw our 1st dust devil this year near plattsmouth, this weekend, right after crossing bridge on 34 from iowa. very cool.
otherwise, very green here and skeeter-central.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #317 on: June 13, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »
Wolfy i have that book a very good read, also read (night came to the farms of the great plains).by Raymond d north and the dirty thirties by william H hull.
there is one can't remember the title but it deals it deals with the farm depression of the
80's in machinicsville,iowa. univ of iowa press. pray we never see those days again.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #318 on: June 13, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »
Me too, but we've got a good start on it again this year......we're way behind on precip for the month of June.  This is the month when we usually get the most of our moisture for crop production, but so far we have had ZERO rainfall.....over 3" below average, now.  To top it all off, it has been in the mid 90s with winds of 20-30 mph for the last week and a half.....good hay crop and excellent drying conditions for getting it put up, but the corn REALLY needs a drink.  The corn plants were taking protection and rolling this afternoon....not good, this early in the year. :(

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #319 on: June 26, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
Wolfy,  I am going to be driving right through Dawes County in October.  I'll be on my way to Douglas Wyoming for a long planned hunting trip.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #320 on: June 26, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
Wolfy,  I am going to be driving right through Dawes County in October.  I'll be on my way to Douglas Wyoming for a long planned hunting trip.

I envy you......not only for the hunting trip, but for the opportunity to visit The Museum Of The Fur Trade on the eastern edge of Chadron.  PLEASE, make an effort to see it....you will be amazed at the quality & variety of items in the collection!  :shocked:

World acclaimed and WOLFY APPROVED!   :thumbsup: :lol:

http://www.furtrade.org/visit-us/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g45485-d1800283-Reviews-Museum_of_the_Fur_Trade-Chadron_Nebraska.html

(Click on the 'all photos' slide-show to give you a sneak peek of what to expect)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:28:28 PM by wolfy »

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #321 on: June 26, 2017, 03:47:11 PM »
We have fun little game going on in Nebraska.
http://nebraskapassport.com
You go around and visit sites with a nebraska connection,  getting your "passport " stamped at each one.
The wife and I have been to 6 of the closest ones & plain to do more next week.
Do any other states do this?

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #322 on: June 26, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
Speaking of games we also do this.
http://www.cornhuskerstategames.com
I haven't competed in years. I used to do some of the bike races.

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #324 on: June 26, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
wow there really is stuff in nebraska, gosh i thought it was all wheat beans corn and pickups.
ya'know the pick up is the new iron pony, okahey

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »
NEBRASKA is one of the very best spots in the nation for viewing the total eclipse of the sun on August 21st.  8)     It will be best for viewing in a band that runs diagonally across the state from NW to SE.  We have a clean atmosphere and few, if any lights or obstructions to interfere with your best photographic efforts.....not easy to come by in most areas of the country, but the grass-covered dunes of the Sandhills region will be primo!  Come one, come all, to NEBRASKA for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will not occur again until 2048 or 2075.....I don't have the luxury of waiting that long, so this is IT for me. :-\

Scroll down for lots of info........NOT TOO BAD!

http://neclipse17.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »
I always liked Paul Harvey's radio tribute to the farmer......reminds me a lot of my dad.  O:-)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #327 on: July 21, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
This is a REALLY cool website with some great videos and pictures of NEBRASKA.  If you only view one of the videos make sure it's 'Nebraska Beautiful!'  I think you'll agree that it's not too bad! :coffee:

http://www.nebraskaproject.com

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #328 on: July 21, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »
Watched the one you suggested.  Really well done. 

In my days I have bird and game hunted from Oklahoma north to North Dakota and hit Montana, Wyoming, and all of that country in any of the States of the Great Plains is wonderful.  The ranchers and farmers we encounter have all been great people. 

Small towns throughout the region all have a cafe or store where the locals congregate and when you walk into one of them there is a moment of silence, conversation stops, and they look you over, smile, and go back to talking.  Ask them a question and they will talk to you about everything.  All of America should be like rural areas of our country.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #329 on: July 21, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
I watched "Nebraska Beautiful".  Great.
Kelly keeps hinting at a pull behind with pull-outs and a cross-country trip.  We'll be retired so I guess we'll just hobo around for awhile.  Those cowboys in the vid took me back.  Lotsa time on horses.  I had my own saddles.  My own boots.  My own hat.  But I never had a pair of six shooters and a pair of chaps.   They just got put back on my life list. 

Look out.  Here comes the City Slicker.  LOL
Hunter S, Thompson