Author Topic: OPINEL & LAGUIOLE KNIVES  (Read 17418 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: OPINEL & LAGUIOLE KNIVES
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
I have used an Opinel a fair bit and it has become a favorite folder since it was given to me  last year by a friend on this forum.  It's light weight and easy sharpening blade makes it my choice for carrying in my bib overalls.  After watching most of this video the one I have is the right size for me.  Up a size would probably work okay too.

The Opinel works very well with food preparation at the campfire and for any simple cutting task you have.  I probably cut baling twine off of 100 round bales with it last year.  It isn't as robust as a Buck 110 but I skinned one deer with it just to see how it worked and it did just fine. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
I have used an Opinel a fair bit and it has become a favorite folder since it was given to me  last year by a friend on this forum.  It's light weight and easy sharpening blade makes it my choice for carrying in my bib overalls.  After watching most of this video the one I have is the right size for me.  Up a size would probably work okay too.

The Opinel works very well with food preparation at the campfire and for any simple cutting task you have.  I probably cut baling twine off of 100 round bales with it last year.  It isn't as robust as a Buck 110 but I skinned one deer with it just to see how it worked and it did just fine.

+1 / Ditto....on the knives... but unlike wsdstan, I only used it for small game & birds (#8). The Opinels ( Since that is all I own of this type of folder, speaking of the # 6, 8  & 10 , but I gave away the 6 as a gift as it was too small for my hand & uses...), they seem to be quite an adequate folder with many uses. I would only say that a person might want to "seal" the wood a bit better than the "stock" condition, if they want to do any food prep or animal processing. That would be my only concern.

{P.S> -  I carry the # 10 as an extra knife in my deer hunting kit. I would not do that unless it was worth having there. ;) }
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Carson

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
I own a few high end folders and some very nice traditional folders that are getting towards high end, all very good performance. But the only knife I have EDC'd for the last year and a half is this #8 Opinel in Bubinga and 12c27 stainless. It will cut as well as any expensive knife and really does out-cut most of them. It comes in under 2 oz, has that old world charm...just perfect for backpacking and wilderness travel imo...

The first thing I do with any Opinel is soak it in a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil (or Teak oil) and odorless mineral spirits for 24 hours in hot weather. Dry it out for a few days and it will never stick again. The wood still breathes between humid and dry times but it never does get too loose or too tight. The 12c27 steel holds an edge longer than my carbon models and takes just as fine an edge.

It will carve wood like crazy and the nice thin, full convex blade really slides through all manner of veggies and foods. Perfect camp and travel knife for me. I usually pair it with a Mora for a cutting cutting tool selection with super low weight.
Nor had I erred in my calculations, nor had I endured in vain. I at length felt that I was free. -Edgar Allen Poe

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 08:47:56 PM »
Purchased a #8 stainless in june ( I think), it is a good work knife. Use it for cutting pipe insulation, boxes, and scoring drywall. Keeps a good edge, easy to sharpen,  all around a good knife. Highly recommend.
Nice matters

Offline MrFixIt

• Whetstone +
  • Old Jarhead
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2015, 06:17:16 AM »
I used to have one a long time ago. After reading this I need to find it or remember if  gave it away...
Sounds like an excellent choice as a pack knife.
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket baby, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride!"

Offline Colonel666

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 01:14:35 AM »
The OPINEL #12 is my favorite.  The grandson of the founder speaks directly to me when ordering.  Discounts for larger orders too.  These knives are not stored in warehouse surplus but rather produced upon request by  batches of steel in runs.  Customs agents make the shipping slow and expensive to USA.  The problem is the bezel pops off if opened in a locked position.  This happens in low lighted places or at night when the bezel is not seen well. 
Here is a profile link to a custom OPINEL remanufacturer and expert thinker from Finland:
https://plus.google.com/102820001639840655504

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »
I got my first Opinel over the weekend. Vendor at the local gunshow has good bushcraft gear at good prices and he just started selling Opinel.

Picked up a No 6 and it does everything I imagined it would do standing there as I played with the different sizes. Being so thin and easy to get for real razor sharp it will make the finest pile of fat wood shavings you will ever make, and quick. It's well worth the small price.

I see more in the future. A longer bladed one will make an awesome folding filet knife.

Offline Unknown

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2016, 03:00:29 PM »
Opinel has at least a couple models that are intended to be filet knives if you're interested

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »
I got my first Opinel over the weekend. Vendor at the local gunshow has good bushcraft gear at good prices and he just started selling Opinel.

Picked up a No 6 and it does everything I imagined it would do standing there as I played with the different sizes. Being so thin and easy to get for real razor sharp it will make the finest pile of fat wood shavings you will ever make, and quick. It's well worth the small price.

I see more in the future. A longer bladed one will make an awesome folding filet knife.
The #6 is my wife's favorite, also.  I'm partial to the #8 just because it's a mite bigger than the blade on my SAK.......and it fits the plier pocket in my bibs perfectly, too.  8)

:welcome: to Club Opinel! :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:34:47 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »

The #6 is my wife's favorite, also.  I'm partial to the #8 just because it's a mite bigger than the blade on my SAK.......and it fits the plier pocket in my bibs perfectly, too.  8)

:welcome: to Club Opinel! :cheers:

I looked at the 8 and liked how the 6 felt in the pocket and that mite bigger size for me wouldn't mean much for what I see myself doing with it. That is one thing that impressed me though. You can't say I wish it was a bit larger or a bit smaller, they have that covered.

Offline weedeater64

• Whetstone +
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
Is there any American made Opinel type knife?
It is time to refuse to tiptoe around people who claim respect, consideration, special treatment, on the grounds that they have a religious faith, as if having faith were a privilege endowing virtue, as if it were noble to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions. - A.C. Grayling

Offline Carson

• Whetstone +
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »

That is a real fine carry knife, a super knife that weighs one ounce. Here is my #6 in Bubinga wood soaked in Teak oil for 24 hrs. Water does not affect it at all now. The blade slides through things like a laser.

Is there any American made Opinel type knife?

Not currently. I think Cold Steel made something along that line at one time though not with a wooden handle, but no longer in production. Opinels are the real deal, a very useful knife for the traveler and farmer, a real working knife. Nothing cuts quite like an Opinel.

Nor had I erred in my calculations, nor had I endured in vain. I at length felt that I was free. -Edgar Allen Poe

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
That looks great. I would have never thought this knife was such a worker and you can not judge this one by the way it looks. It is a worker. What impresses me is I was expecting the edge to roll or chip or something being so thin. I've done a good bit of work with it so far and other than staying sharp the edge is not getting any damage. Really don't know how such a thin blade don't roll the edge. I'm not easy on it but I don't think it will pry into zip ties very well lol.

Best part is it fits into a Schrade LB5 leather pouch perfect.

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:12 PM »
I have been carrying my #7 the last couple days. Thinking about getting a #6.
I found this sight .
http://www.opinelmod.com/

Kind of cool.
From what I see the #6 weighs in at a hearty 1 oz.
I might mod it a little but nothing like in the link.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
I have used mine mostly as a paring knife in the kitchen and for eating meat at picnics or outdoor affairs where they give you crummy plastic knives.  It is, for the money, a terrific knife with a great slicing blade and so easy to sharpen it makes me think I am getting good at it.

I purused the site with the Opinel mods but only saw a couple I liked.  A couple of those fixed blade Old Hickory knives are pretty good.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
I've seen and handled a lot of Opinel mods in my day, but the way I see it, you can't improve on perfection. :)

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »
I ordered a belt pouch for it today. I thought it was just the pouch but when I read the description after I ordered, it comes with the knife and pouch. Looks like I will be getting another one, this time in carbon steel, same No. 6.

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2016, 04:48:45 PM »
Got the belt pouch, and a carbon steel No6 with it. All I wanted was the pouch.

The carbon takes a much finer edge. I thought the Inox was razor sharp. The carbon steel blade is like a laser.

Now I have two users.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »
I know I'm preaching to the choir but the Opinel blade is ground like a full width Scandi bevel.  There is no secondary bevel on the cutting edge.  Most of the time, you just need to strop this blade.  If you put a secondary bevel on it like a traditional American made knife, you will dramatically reduce its cutting efficiency.  If you must stone it, lay the blade flat on the stone and gently push it along for a few strokes.  Then flip it over and do it again.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2016, 05:33:29 PM »
You COULD call them 'flat,' but technically Opinels have a spine to edge convex grind......it's very shallow, but if you look closely, it's there. :)

Offline Carson

• Whetstone +
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »
I know I'm preaching to the choir but the Opinel blade is ground like a full width Scandi bevel.  There is no secondary bevel on the cutting edge.  Most of the time, you just need to strop this blade.  If you put a secondary bevel on it like a traditional American made knife, you will dramatically reduce its cutting efficiency.  If you must stone it, lay the blade flat on the stone and gently push it along for a few strokes.  Then flip it over and do it again.

I have checked all of mine (6 of them in total) three carbon models and three stainless models and all of them are fully convexed in their geometry. They will not lay flat on plate glass but rock a little. The best way I've found to sharpen them is dragging them on fine grit sandpaper over a mouse pad. Then gently lift them for a few strokes to strop off any wire edge. Good edge holding and laser sharp.

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »
I got both scary sharp by simple stropping on some old cut up leather belts glued to a board with automotive valve grinding compound on them. A harder leather belt removes more and a softer leather belt polishes to unreal levels. The carbon steel version takes a much more fine edge, if that's possible because the Inox is just too sharp and I've been doing lots of cutting with it. It doesn't feel like it's cut anything and still no rolls or chips or dents. I imagine the carbon will hold its edge even longer.

I plan on carrying the carbon and stashing the Inox in the pack.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2016, 05:08:26 AM »
No argument about the convex grind.  I only wanted to point out that there is no secondary bevel.  If you were to use a sharpening jig like a Smith or Lansky, it might mess up that nice cutting edge.  I think My Opinel wood has swollen (probably fom oil applied to the the blade) and it is difficult to open.  Anyone have a cure for that?
-John Denver

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2016, 07:27:18 AM »
No argument about the convex grind.  I only wanted to point out that there is no secondary bevel.  If you were to use a sharpening jig like a Smith or Lansky, it might mess up that nice cutting edge.  I think My Opinel wood has swollen (probably fom oil applied to the the blade) and it is difficult to open.  Anyone have a cure for that?
You could try drying it out in the oven or dehydrator on the lowest temperature. If you've oiled it, it'll be unlikely to crack (and the wood is well dried previously regardless).
I always modify my Opinels. I drop the point till it's almost a spear point. I then sand down the whale-tail: sand off the fin on the slot side and round out the other fin. I'll post a pic in a little while. I sand the whole handle and then treat as an axe handle: some wipes with linseed oil then run with wax. I gently heat it to smooth the wax and let it soak in.
I'm on my forth No. 8 now. A carbon when I was a teen, an Inox for Christmas a few years ago from my BIL another Inox in a trade and my current one. Funny thing about me and Opinels: they're the only knives I seem to lose. Heck, I still have a Vic SAK from '84. Wonder why I lose these?
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »
Yeoman, maybe because they are so light and small, you never notice when they are no longer in your pocket?  And, they all have a tendency toward tadpoleitis.  They grow legs and walk off.
-John Denver

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »
That's why I ordered a leather belt pouch. So I won't lose it. Ended up coming with the knife too. Was actually cheaper than buying the knife alone. The extra No.6 is a bonus.

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »
Boris, I see two knives in your photo but no sheath.
I think the 6 will be my next one. I have 2 of the 7.

Offline Carson

• Whetstone +
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
I think My Opinel wood has swollen (probably fom oil applied to the the blade) and it is difficult to open.  Anyone have a cure for that?

Sure do. Pop off the lock ring and put it in a small jar filled with Watco Teak Oil on a hot day and leave it in there for 24 hrs. I use a little olive jar or perhaps a little caper jar for the #6. After you take it out wipe it down dry over and over, get down in the crevices with toothpicks pushing pieces of paper towels and clean off the blade with alcohol, then let it cure in the sun for a couple days, wiping it down a few times more. Put the lock ring back. Swab a little Vaseline in the joint after a week and do that ever couple months. Mine has never swollen again.

I drill out a lanyard hole first using my drill press and getting the handle precisely aligned, backing it good so there is no tear out around the hole. Lightly sand the sharp edges and after the Teak Oil treatment make a lanyard and you can attach that to a leash & clip. I make mine so it will hang vertically in my pocket and barely touch the bottom. It rides much better than laying in the pocket's bottom sideways.   

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »
Boris, I see two knives in your photo but no sheath.
I think the 6 will be my next one. I have 2 of the 7.

Nothing fancy. Just like the knife.

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »
That's a nice piece of leather. The sheaths I have seen are just open top pouches.
Yours should keep it safe.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2016, 07:11:17 AM »
I went to take a pic of my modified Opinel last night and can't find it.
Maybe they really do suffer from Tadpole-itis...

I have to go down and check my locker in my cabin onboard. It might be in my junk drawer. shrug
"Learning is an interruption of the failure process"
- Me, 2014

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
The first of 2 Opinels I ordered arrived today.  My current Opie is a No.6 and is just a bit small.  I ordered a No. 8 with olive wood and carbon and a No. 9 with beech wood and stainless.  The No. 9 came in today and frankly, the stainless blade was none too sharp.  The edge was slightly rolled.  I have stropped it to where it will shave hair but it does not feel as grabby as the carbon steel.  One the plus side, the No. 9 is a nice handful with a 3-3/4" wood grip and a 3-1/2" blade.

Update: the No. 8 olive wood arrived but was also in stainless.  No problem.  However, it aso had a rounded edge but 10 minutes of stropping got it hair-poppin sharp.  These are both excellent knives for the money.  The No. 8 is about 1/2" shorter than the No. 9 but still comfortable in the hand.  Both had a new feature; a cutout on the bottom of the rotating ring that locks the blade closed.  Good feature but it will take time to get used to it.

Here are my 2 new Opies with my old No. 6.  The olive wood handle is on a No. 8 and the unstained beech is a No.9

Note the feature to lock it closed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:11:57 AM by Quenchcrack »
-John Denver

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »
Well, I can't figure out how to fix the problem with the photos, sorry.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Well I can see them.  The olive wood handle is pretty nice.
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »
I think PB is having a problem right now.  Don't think it's anything to do with your account or how you linked the pics, QC.  Bunch of photos on here and other forums that I can't see right now.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2016, 07:20:02 PM »
I think you're right, nuke.....I haven't moved any of the photos in my account and pictures I've posted here are no longer visible, either. :'(

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:11 AM »
Here are the photos that disappeared from my post:

-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
I was cruising around the net this morning and ran into this unusually accurate review of the Opinel knife that ALMOST all of us know and love. ;D     Pretty much my exact feelings, but no one ever mentions the fact that the blade/handle joint never seems to get any sloppiness or play in it which I figured would surely occur eventually, but never does. :shrug:

https://bladereviews.com/opinel-no-8-review/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
That is a good review of that model.  He forgot only one thing I care about....... it fits nicely into the chest pocket of my bib overalls.  Just perfect in fact.

I used one to do chores at the farm over the last year or so.  Cutting baling twine when feeding big round bales to the cattle, cutting the tails off of Raccoons we harvested, as a scraper now and then, and an all around lightweight knife.  I need to spend more time with it in starting fires, making feather sticks, and so forth.

A friend gave me my No. 8 and I am indebted to him for acquainting me with the brand.  I also have a No. 10 found at a gunshow for $4 if I remember correctly.  The 5 remains my favorite Opinel though. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:56:29 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I'd almost be willing to bet my last nickel that your friend who gave you your first Opinel gave you a #8! :lol: :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
I was typing without my reading glasses.
I am fumble fingered.
I am unable to remember schitt even though the knife was right in front of me.

Take your pick of the above.  The correct answer is the first one.   :-[
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »
A couple of my Opies were a bit stiff to open.  I found a vid on YouTube that showed how to fix that very easily.  But you have to disassemble the knife to do it.  If you have a set of pliers to open retaining rings, you can do it in minutes.  Open the chromed barrel with your pliers.  Slide it off.  The pin that the blade rides on is upset on one end so gently pound it out with a small punch or nail from the other end.  The pin is bent slightly so pay attention to the direction of the bend relative to the hole in the knife.  The hole is slightly off center.  Gently sand the pin until the blade moves freely on it.  Now re-assemble the knife and you are done.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »
Handy to know, thanks. :cheers:
(Mark Twain)