Author Topic: Advice on canvas tent vs tipi  (Read 1714 times)

Offline vallehombre

• Whetstone +
Advice on canvas tent vs tipi
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
I didn't see this anywhere else although I may have missed it...

After a lot of tarp, hammock, backpacking I'm looking into a longer stay 4 season set up to be carried by machine or animal other than me. I have much distant experience with old school canvas (where you touch the spot right above your head when it's raining kind of thing) but things have changed a lot and no real experience with tipis. Weight is a consideration since I'll be alone and price is something I'll just have to live with but quality construction is important.

Requirements are (in no particular order):
1 person set up and be able to haul around for short distances.
4 season use.
Water resistant and mildew treated.
Room to stay inside comfortably for an entire day or 2 at a time in interesting weather.  10 -12 ft side footprint is a guess at a minimum.
Can take heavy winds.
Wood heat capable.
Durability
Customer service.
American made is always my preference when possible.

I know that's not much info but after searching the interweb for a while it seems the best step now is to find out what those using tents or tipis have to advise or opinions to share.

Thanks amigos.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Advice on canvas tent vs tipi
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
Just a quick search turned up this site which has some interesting info on several models.

http://livabletent.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

This site looks particularly promising:

http://snowtrekkertents.com/index.html

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »
If you are looking for something like this

http://www.diamondbrand.com/manufacturing/cat/outdoor_gear/outdoor_shelters/bsa_licensed_tents/ 

I know a guy  8)  shoot me a PM if you are interested
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
I was just about to suggest one of those tents from WB....

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=6865.0

I've had one of these for decades.....excelle nt quality & WOLFY APPROVED!   :tent:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
Mine only weighs 25 lbs with no poles!  :camp:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
Does it have to be canvas? Kifaru, Ti Goat and Seek Outside have high quality wood stove heated tipi tents that are good for four season use. They will be much, much, much, much lighter than the canvas equivalent. There is also YouTube footage of a guy who converted a GoLite Shangri-La 3 for use with a wood stove (a common modification for the SL3 and 5). I've used the SL3 for quite some time during winter, and it has held up great. None of this stuff is cheap, but neither is a quality canvas tent. Just a thought.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »

After a lot of tarp, hammock, backpacking I'm looking into a longer stay 4 season set up to be carried by machine or animal other than me. I have much distant experience with old school canvas (where you touch the spot right above your head when it's raining kind of thing) but things have changed a lot and no real experience with tipis. Weight is a consideration since I'll be alone and price is something I'll just have to live with but quality construction is important.

4 season use.
Room to stay inside comfortably for an entire day or 2 at a time in interesting weather.  10 -12 ft side footprint is a guess at a minimum.
Can take heavy winds.
Wood heat capable.
Durability
Customer service.

I know that's not much info but after searching the interweb for a while it seems the best step now is to find out what those using tents or tipis have to advise or opinions to share.

Thanks amigos.

Your requirements really point to a Tipi.
http://www.springvalleylodges.com/tipis.html

Can be set up by one person.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Bcelect

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Is there anybody who have tried a hammock inside these tents?   

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »
i say get a three wife teepee with buffalo robes' go for broke.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 07:38:36 AM »

4 season use.
Can take heavy winds.
Wood heat capable.
Durability
Customer service.

Thanks amigos.

Soooooo....What did you end up with?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
Vallehombre has achieved 'mute status'. :-X  :lol:

Offline lodge camper

• Mill File
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »
once you have had a good tipi it is hard to imagine trading off for canvas tent.  The tipi wears canvas like pretty ladys wear their jeans...nice and tight. any canvas tents i ever saw fit like an old man's bibs.

tipis are designed for having fires and or stoves. the liner and smoke flaps draw the smoke out beautifully once you get hang of how flaps work. the tight canvas takes any wind we got here on the  prairie except for tornados and i think they would fare well in one of those too. the conical shape sheds wind and rain very well. anyway, i could talk about how i love tipis all day. you might not find anybody that wants to talk canvas tents...all day!  good luck.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
once you have had a good tipi it is hard to imagine trading off for canvas tent.  The tipi wears canvas like pretty ladys wear their jeans...nice and tight. any canvas tents i ever saw fit like an old man's bibs.

tipis are designed for having fires and or stoves. the liner and smoke flaps draw the smoke out beautifully once you get hang of how flaps work. the tight canvas takes any wind we got here on the  prairie except for tornados and i think they would fare well in one of those too. the conical shape sheds wind and rain very well. anyway, i could talk about how i love tipis all day. you might not find anybody that wants to talk canvas tents...all day!  good luck.

Being an owner & devotee of the plains tipi and a student of the Laubins since I bought their book up in Anchorage in 1973 (I know, because I just peeked at the receipt 'bookmark' inside the $1.65 cover here on my bookshelf), I have to agree with you! :cheers:

Who made yours?  I think I spied an ozan rolled back along the top of your liner in a recent photo you posted, too.  Lots of people neglect to add that vitally important piece of the tipi-pie to their lodge.  Your turn.  :popcorn:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
While I love tipis it should be pointed out that the vast majority of tents in use anyplace north of southern Minnesota all the way to the arctic regions are various types of canvas wall tents.  A lot of them have a stove.

Tipis are great when it comes to long term or more or less permanent camps in most uses in the states.  I see a few tipi style tents but they are small and use very few poles.  These are in the tourist campgrounds.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline lodge camper

• Mill File
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »

Being an owner & devotee of the plains tipi and a student of the Laubins since I bought their book up in Anchorage in 1973 (I know, because I just peeked at the receipt 'bookmark' inside the $1.65 cover here on my bookshelf), I have to agree with you! :cheers:

Who made yours?  I think I spied an ozan rolled back along the top of your liner in a recent photo you posted, too.  Lots of people neglect to add that vitally important piece of the tipi-pie to their lodge.  Your turn.  :popcorn:

Ours(14') was made in 2010 by Don Strinz. I am not sure he personally made many more after that and he has since sold out to Garret so may be one of the last ones he made...and that's special to us. Don is a character. Like Garret too but prices since went way up and business moved out west. Not sure if I've ever even seen a tipi Garrett made so don't know his skills there. Still, big fan of strinztipi. Sure their wall tents are top-notch, too.
We do not have a dedicated ozan but i will fassion one out of canvas drops when really cold. Tipi and liner are sunforger and my drops are just hemmed painter's cloth. Our Laubins book is always along in sealed a ziplock when not being read.
Who made yours?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
Don's an old friend of mine from clear back in the '70s, if my 'rememberer' is workin' correctly.  I bought my 16' tipi second-hand in 1971 from a guy whose sqaw had 'split the blanket' with him and demanded even more fooferaw to call it even. :spider:      Anyway, it was made by Dick and Katie Kop of R-K Lodges......well made and it's still in use. :thumbsup:

Offline lodge camper

• Mill File
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
nice.
as a kid i would get to go to them old shoots out in lexington ainsworth, cozad, etc. Even had a few in my little vilage of Davey when Ihm had his muzzleloading shop there. Goodle Days. I grew up camping in 18' my parents made using the Laubin book. It was made in early 70's out of plain ole 6oz duck and poorly weather treated until it finally seasoned out. Usually my Dad set it up late at night and after few beers but always seemed to  be fine in the morning. them memories really make me appreciate the  new sunforger type canvas' these days to the old stuff, that could mildew in minutes if not cared for right, go up in flames from slightest spark or water coming thru loose weave. i am spoiled.  :D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 12:25:35 PM »
Yeah, that sunforger canvas is really good stuff, but mine was made long before that primo material hit the market.  The liner on mine got badly mildewed from being set up for too long at a time without being taken out, hung up and dried.  Laziness will catch up with ya' in the long run, I guess. :shrug:

I wonder what ever became of that big ol' flint wall gun that was hanging up high in Ihm's showroom......I coveted that thing!  :drool:

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 07:10:33 PM »
buddy of mine had a Don Strinz miner's pyramid - 12x2 base.
great tent.
set the 4 corner stakes, slide in the center pole, and you could toss your gear in out of the weather at that point - then go around and set the rest of the stakes.

I inherited his 8x8 - not bad for 1 person, a little too snug for 2 unless most of your gear stayed outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 08:21:16 PM »
buddy of mine had a Don Strinz miner's pyramid - 12x2 base.
great tent.
set the 4 corner stakes, slide in the center pole, and you could toss your gear in out of the weather at that point - then go around and set the rest of the stakes.

I inherited his 8x8 - not bad for 1 person, a little too snug for 2 unless most of your gear stayed outside.
A 12x2 base? :shocked:   You guys must have had to sleep in single file! :lol:

I'll take a wild guess here and assume you meant 12x12. :shrug:

The 12x12s make a pretty decent shelter, but the 14x14 isn't very good in high wind conditions........t hey tend to self-destruct. :-\
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:27:00 PM by wolfy »

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »
pbttt....
12x12....
<sigh>

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
Yeah, I knew what you meant.......it was just the mental image of a 12x2 that made me giggle a bit.  :cheers:    The 14x14 pyramid that I stayed in on a trip down the Missouri in a fur-trade era mackinaw boat tested it beyond its limits.  It would probably be OK in an area where high winds were not a threat, but where we were it WAS! :(     I think it was only the second or third time it had been put up, however the guyed, but otherwise unsupported surfaces of the design just couldn't take the stress.  It ripped from one corner nearly to the apex of the roof. :'(

Offline lodge camper

• Mill File
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
wolfy, that missouri river trip needs to be thread of it's own. like to hear more about that boat, too. i am currently building little shanty boat now from online plans from lisa b. good. prepping for the fiberglass and resin, atm. love river stories.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »
wolfy, that missouri river trip needs to be thread of it's own. like to hear more about that boat, too. i am currently building little shanty boat now from online plans from lisa b. good. prepping for the fiberglass and resin, atm. love river stories.
I imagine everyone here shuddered when they read your recommendation, LC.....but I will see what I can do. :lol:  :canoe: :cheers: