Author Topic: 2015 Schrade Woodcraft knives Preview (Not mine, from PM101)  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • Banned forever from that other forum
2015 Schrade Woodcraft knives Preview (Not mine, from PM101)
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:02:49 AM »
  Holy crap! These things look great!  I'll be interested to see if the temper on them is solid....but I don't foresee any issues based on their other stuff.

If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: 2015 Schrade Woodcraft knives Preview (Not mine, from PM101)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
Are they made in China?

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:24 AM »

They do scream "Survival" in a paramilitary sort of bad ass way,  bushcraft,  not so much.

More in the mode of Mad Max and John Rambo than Kephart, Nessmuck, or Boone and Crockett.     :shrug:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:12 PM »

They do scream "Survival" in a paramilitary sort of bad ass way,  bushcraft,  not so much.

More in the mode of Mad Max and John Rambo than Kephart, Nessmuck, or Boone and Crockett.     :shrug:

Oh, I dunno.

They have the features...scandi or sabre grind, all the other stuff. Obviously, they are not for whittling, but processing wood, stripping bark, making pothooks, stuff like that, sure.

I actually picture these as "VW" knives....you buy them inexpensively, and then customize them with stripped coatings, burlwood scales, leather sheath.
   I think 2 out of 3 of them would be gorgeous bushcraft knives.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »

Oh, I dunno.

They have the features...scandi or sabre grind, all the other stuff. Obviously, they are not for whittling, but processing wood, stripping bark, making pothooks, stuff like that, sure.

I actually picture these as "VW" knives....you buy them inexpensively, and then customize them with stripped coatings, burlwood scales, leather sheath.

Not to argue, but for the sake of discussion,  Bushcraft is a subjective term,  meaning that we all define it differently,  it's only my opinion of course,  but if we are to learn and practice the woodsman's skills we should look to those that came before us that developed them,  learn about and understand their tools and how they used them,  being a student of history starting from about the early 1700's foward I've learned that those that made the forrests their home and in some cases their living were pretty consistent about what tools they carried and what they used them for.
   Saws and axes of different stripes were used to process wood,  knives were used for defense, processing game, hides,  and prepping and eating food,  butcher sized knives were used to process large game and self defense,  for all other knife chores smaller and lighter knives were used.
   What people today prefer in the way of blades for what ever their need is totalally up to them,  far be it for me to find fault with their choices,  but I do have a right to my opinion, and my opinion as far as large black coated monster knives with nylon and kydex sheaths,  they are a recent trend fabricated by business and meant to separate people from their money,  while they are handy for letting out ones frustrations on large pieces of wood by hacking on them,  a lot less effort and a much better job can be done with an axe or saw,  which is what the original bushcrafters used, leaving their belt knives and friction folders sharp and ready for the duties associated with using a knife.
  Call me a bigot if you will,  but in my opinion that ilk of knives should be called what they are,  survival, tactical, para military, or simply Rambo knives,  but they are not in any sense of the word "Bushcraft" knives or "Woodsman's knives,  they may be great for fighting off a hoard of Zombies,  but suck at Bushcraft and camp chores.
                                                    :soap:  over.    :cheers:

BTW Punty,  we have a meet coming up in Freetown MA. on Oct. 5th if you're interested,  let me know and I'll PM you the info.    :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
They appear to me to perfectly adequate for any bush use, particularly the shorter blade model.  They look a lot like the BK and ESEE knives and while I don't like them as well as my woodlore style knives they would be fine for any bushlore use.  I don't know the price point but if they are in the right niche there is no reason they won't take some of the the other two's business away.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
That's kinda' what I thought, Stan....the smaller one looks like a BK-2 with a choil. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline okcmco

• Mill File+
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
Moe M.  I agree with you s far as it goes, but what the company calls a blade is really meaningless.  The public will decide and they may get it right and they may get it wrong.  The fact remains that it is a knife, with pretty good steel, for pretty cheap money.
  If we were to follow Sears and Kephart, we would not have bushcraft blades at all.  We would have a sheath knife for skinning and cutting spuds, and a small axe.  Our bushcrafting work (shaping bow drill material, carving sticks to make pot cranes or trap triggers,  etc) would be done with a jack knife. 
  I understand your disdain for the current Sharade line, especially given what a storied brand it used to be.  But they are selling knives. And if I were out in a sticky situation in the woods, I would probably rather have the Sharade than a butcher knife.  I could make do.
  One last thought; What would Tecumseh or Simon Kenton have thought about the wood craft knife in question?  I have a feeling they would have tought it was an improvement on the ones they had with them.
   In Bluegrass music (I am a professional musician and student of bluegrass), there is a definite feeling of TRADITION!  So much so that new takes on the music form are often met with hostility.  There is a strong preservation instinct in the community.  However the Father of Bluegrass, Bill Monroe, invented the music by breaking the rules, adopting black music (blues and such) and mixing it with Irish folk and a touch of eastern european.  Then he mixed it all up and put the mandolin at the front, in a way in which it had never been played before.  Had Bill been as concerned with tradition as those that came after him, Bluegrass might never have been invented.
Ah well I ramble sometimes
Marco
PS.  I just ordered a Kephart by Matthew Paul.  I am not a zombie survivalist guy......

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »

Now we have a discussion going,  and learning some history at the same time.    :banana:

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »

Oh, I dunno.

Not to argue, but for the sake of discussion,  Bushcraft is a subjective term,  meaning that we all define it differently,  it's only my opinion of course,  but if we are to learn and practice the woodsman's skills we should look to those that came before us that developed them,  learn about and understand their tools and how they used them,  being a student of history starting from about the early 1700's foward I've learned that those that made the forrests their home and in some cases their living were pretty consistent about what tools they carried and what they used them for.
   Saws and axes of different stripes were used to process wood,  knives were used for defense, processing game, hides,  and prepping and eating food,  butcher sized knives were used to process large game and self defense,  for all other knife chores smaller and lighter knives were used.
   What people today prefer in the way of blades for what ever their need is totalally up to them,  far be it for me to find fault with their choices,  but I do have a right to my opinion, and my opinion as far as large black coated monster knives with nylon and kydex sheaths,  they are a recent trend fabricated by business and meant to separate people from their money,  while they are handy for letting out ones frustrations on large pieces of wood by hacking on them,  a lot less effort and a much better job can be done with an axe or saw,  which is what the original bushcrafters used, leaving their belt knives and friction folders sharp and ready for the duties associated with using a knife.
  Call me a bigot if you will,  but in my opinion that ilk of knives should be called what they are,  survival, tactical, para military, or simply Rambo knives,  but they are not in any sense of the word "Bushcraft" knives or "Woodsman's knives,  they may be great for fighting off a hoard of Zombies,  but suck at Bushcraft and camp chores.
                                                    :soap:  over.    :cheers:

BTW Punty,  we have a meet coming up in Freetown MA. on Oct. 5th if you're interested,  let me know and I'll PM you the info.    :thumbsup:

I'll get back to you on the 10/5 meeting, but I'm interested.

In my view, a "bushcraft knife" has a very wide berth.

For example, in my book, a machete is without question a bushcraft knife....and they are basically large knives. I also think that, one reason for the small size of the Nessmuk genera, is largely because most everyone back then had a horse to ride, and so had the wherewithal to carry a felling axe, and often both a felling axe and a hatchet.

Lacking the prevalence of horses, I think that today's survival type knife, or the southwestern Bowie type knife, would have been much more prevalent as a common bushman tool.

I guess what I am saying is, "bushcraft" is really defined as a set of tasks done in the woods, and to me, whatever tools that are designed and used for those tasks is a bushcraft tool....and I don't get too caught up in a rigid set of parameters for them.

To me, a Mora Companion and a Becker BK9 are equally bushcrafty, just as a boy scout hatchet and a Dustrude saw are equally bushcrafty, and to me, a bushpot is a bushpot, whether it is aluminum, steel, titanium, or tin....whether it's a zebra or an old soup can.

I would probably draw the line at powered tools....a cordless drill or a chainsaw are not bushcrafty......but a hand drill, sure, if you use it to perform tasks in the woods as a bushman.

Just my interpretation of "bushcraft tools".

EDIT: Actually, I think the diversity of kit is one of the things that makes bushcraft, well....bushcraft. I would prefer to see 20 guys with 20 different knives and saws, than 20 different guys with a TOPS B.O.B. and a Laplander.
         Bushcrafters should never be clones, being creative individuals is part of the lore and attraction of the thing, is it not?

Offline okcmco

• Mill File+
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
Just watched this video again.  It is kind of interesting how the hosts of the video are reluctantly giving the knives props; as if they are feeling a bit guilty for admitting that these blades are competitive with more expensive blades.  I do think they were a bit surprised by the quality and the though that was put into the design.  Someone at Schrade did some research into the American Survival/tacti-cool market........or maybe they watched Walking Dead.
   Is it possible that moving the production overseas (or did they just sell the brand?) has allowed a traditional cutlery company to throw off the bonds of tradition and start desiging redical ?cool? new blades?
hmmmm

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
We all know Schrade is just a name anymore. Sadly that's the way it is now. When I look at these knives I see thick saber grinds & unknown heat treat, steel. Are they woods knives , tactical knives, survival knives or a little bit of everything?
 If I didn't get a Becker or esee I would go with Buck.
Then again until they are really used who am I to say. They might be very good I just don't see it.
would anyone give them a look if the name on the box was Mtech or bud K ?
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »
  FWIW, Buck's heat treating the last few years has sucked.

I know this not only from the internet, but from personal experience with two friends.

IMO, I think if these blades were identical to their current design, but with another brand name, people would be hailing them.

I'm not that type. I favor certain brands over others, mainly because I come to trust certain brands, but I judge tools on an individual basis, and I would put Schrade up against virtually ANY American blade under $100.

For the record, I am a Becker guy. I don't own any Schrades....yet. Well, I own the Schrade Compass/multi tool.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
Buck's heat treat was set up by Paul Bos. I have never had a problem with Buck's steel. If they have changed something I am unaware of what or why they would mess with a good thing. What problems have you had?
Scharde is nothing more then a name now and has been since 2005 when they went under.
For $100 you can have em. I will stick with what I know.
Just my opinion but the knives in question from what I have seen are too thick, with steep saber grinds. So steep I think you called it a scandi. The handles might be good ( are they skeleton under the handles?) The sheath look Okay but I bet they are not well made.
The guys in the video are salesman. They are paid in free knives maybe more. For what it's worth.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 07:46:07 PM »
Buck's heat treat was set up by Paul Bos. I have never had a problem with Buck's steel. If they have changed something I am unaware of what or why they would mess with a good thing. What problems have you had?

Had one friend bust a Buck Hoodlum, and another a Buck 119. The Hoodlum was in batoning, the 119 snapped at the pommel while carving.

The thing is, there was a weird look to the metal where they snapped...kind of prismatic and rough looking. I've never seen anything like it. They were both fairly new knives..within the last 3 years.

On the other hand, I have a friend who has had a 119 for 20 years and still going strong. I have an old 639K but I never use it.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
I actually ordered directly from Schrade's web store a couple of years ago and got the wrong item. They promptly sent out the correct item plus a couple of other knives and a "tactical pen" for my trouble and instructed me to keep the incorrect item from the original order. They might be made in China but the customer service was impeccable. This was ordering directly from the Taylor Brands web store, the company that owns the Schrade name.

The prices were higher on their store for the item I was buyig but they probably do that to avoid competing with their distributors. That's pretty common. And at the time they were including bonus knives with the orders that offset the increased price.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »

Had one friend bust a Buck Hoodlum, and another a Buck 119. The Hoodlum was in batoning, the 119 snapped at the pommel while carving.

The thing is, there was a weird look to the metal where they snapped...kind of prismatic and rough looking. I've never seen anything like it. They were both fairly new knives..within the last 3 years.

On the other hand, I have a friend who has had a 119 for 20 years and still going strong. I have an old 639K but I never use it.

The Hoodlem has that notch in the blade. Bet that's where it snapped. It makes a stress riser. More of a design flaw.
how a 119 broke way back at the pommel is a mystery unless it was pounded on. My newest Buck is a 620 Reaper. I have worked it hard & sent it out on a pass around. It came back ready for more.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

The Hoodlem has that notch in the blade. Bet that's where it snapped. It makes a stress riser. More of a design flaw.
how a 119 broke way back at the pommel is a mystery unless it was pounded on. My newest Buck is a 620 Reaper. I have worked it hard & sent it out on a pass around. It came back ready for more.
I mentioned that hooked notch as being a natural stress-riser on another forum and was nearly crucified! :-\

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »
"  The thing is, there was a weird look to the metal where they snapped...kind of prismatic and rough looking. I've never seen anything like it."   This kinda sounds like coarse grained steel caused by overheating in the heat treating cycle.  I have seen it a few times and the surface is made of tiny facets that are actually grains of metal that have grown to be visible to the naked eye.  They are notoriously brittle and if that is what happened, could explain the break.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Duece111

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
I broke my buck 479 batoning a peice of 2x4 last winter very disappointed am planning on sending it back soon as i get new ink cartridge for my printer so i can print off warranty form

Offline OhCanada

• Mill File+
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
These are not capital S Schrades, Schrade knives are not made anymore and we should just let them die. Putting the Schrade name of a Chinese knife does not make it a Schrade.

Our companies we buy from should mean more than just a trademark that is bought and sold. There are a ton of American made real Schrades on Ebay that one can buy.
BushCRAFT, it is what you do, not what you buy.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »
  It's a Tennessee company, for whatever it's worth.

I mean, how many Americans here are running around with Moras and Bahco's, Wetterlings and Gransfors Bruks? How many Americans here drink Budweiser?

None of it bothers me. All that matters to me is whether the product is worth the price, for the person buying it. In the end, any person or business that makes a good product at a fair market price deserves to profit.

EDIT: On that note....I just found out Husqvarna makes motorcycles. Holy crap! I love that company, but I never knew that.

Offline JeffB1961

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:20 AM »
always amused by folks using their asian phones/computers putting down stuff not made in america ! LMAO ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
So, what's the American-made alternative...a megaphone and an an ear horn? :shrug:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
CAN YA HEAR ME NOW WOLFY!!!!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »
Wind's out of the southeast right now, so.....YEAH, PRETTY DANGED GOOD! :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »
Asian made knives get put down because their history is sketchy, at best.  Heat treat, steel quality and type, and in many cases a lack of information on the steel at all. 

Phones they are good at. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »
i have a REAL schrade i believe it's a #LB11 it's old and in mint shape.
i bought it at a moving sale. even has the original sheath three dollars.