Author Topic: Waste not, want not....  (Read 526 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Waste not, want not....
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Waste not, want not?.

I'm still processing apples from the root cellar from last September.  My storage medium is far from ideal, and we're now into the 50% mortality rate with the apples.  The only thing they are good for now is juicing.

The good news is we have assumed a major babysitting role for our grandson while momma works out of town during the week.  There isn't anything that doesn't taste better to him (squash, oatmeal, peas, carrots) if it's mixed with applesauce.  And the kid swills apple juice like a wino with Mad Dog.
On to the apple processing.  I culled out the too-far-gone apples and washed up 10-12 lbs for a batch, quartered them, and put them in a 2 gal pot with a quart of water.  Brought to a boil and turned down to simmer until soft enough to mash with the back of a large wooden spoon.
Next they were turned into a colander, lined with a flour cloth and set on top of a 5 gal plastic bucket.  Normally I'd hang the cloth/bag to drip, but the bucket trick lets us put it off out of the way in our tiny kitchen.

After a couple hours, I pulled up the corners of the cloth and gave it a twist, or two to get the last bit of juice out.  Each 10 lb batch of apples yielded about 2 quarts of heavy juice, which can be further diluted for junior.  We store the juice in the freezer in half-gallon milk jugs.

The mash from the juicing gets turned into applesauce.  Years ago I picked up a Victorio food processor at a yard sale, and it's still going strong.  The same thing can be accomplished with a Folly Food Mill, or pressed through a sieve, but I'd never go back to that method as long as I have the Victorio! End result with a bit of cranking is applesauce, and a bowl of skins and seeds.  Most scraps go to our chicken as payment for their eggs, but I don't feed apple seeds to my livestock because of the cyanide content.

All in all, three batches of steamed apples gave us just under 2 gal of juice, and about 18 pints of applesauce.  Not bad for a half-dozen grocery bags of rotten apples.

The culled apples and bad spots cut out didn't go to waste, either.  We shared them with the neighbors who didn't mind the change in diet from tree twigs and dead grass.

The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Waste not, want not....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »
Very good.  I have a bad habit of tossing out our "rotten" apples each year.  I will have to try the applesauce making.  Thanks
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
WHAT.......no apple butter?  :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »
Very good.  I have a bad habit of tossing out our "rotten" apples each year.  I will have to try the applesauce making.  Thanks
Just cut out any brown stuff.  Even if you end up with only 1/4 of the apple left, it all adds up.

WHAT.......no apple butter?  :shrug:

Didn't I mention apple butter?!  We now have a 12 quart pot of pureed apple sludge in the 'fridge.  SWMBO says at least a third of that is going into apple butter. :rolleyes:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.