Author Topic: 17 acres to mow...  (Read 549 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
17 acres to mow...
« on: June 14, 2017, 04:40:39 PM »
I picked up this bush hog for$500 when we first bought the land. At the time I had a 1950 Case 300B that ran well, until the rod bearing let go again. It has a bad journal on the crank and so it sits. Then I welded a car axle to it and connected the pto to the diff. I added a tow hitch and pulled it with my grand cherokee. It worked well until the gearbox came loose.

Here we are 10 years later with a Junk John Deere 2010 that has been a constant P.I.T.A. I got it running and pulled the neighbors bush hog to prove that I can. It did fairly well albeit 1st gear full throttle. Not cool for a 46 HP tractor. Now it's starting to overheat and I'm hoping it just need the thermostat put back in.

So here is my cob job repair. This gear box has oval mounting holes. The previous owner installed helicoils that couldn't withstand the constant vibration and heavy torque loads. No way for me to easily drill and tap them and I couldn't get the hub off to install a new gearbox.

I decided to box the gearbox in 2"x 1/4" wall angle. I used two bolts from the front of the pto input housing. The rest is heavily "squished" by a boxed frame. I made four rounds of the pasture and it held fine so far.

Seriously considering an investment in a new tractor. I found a 1965 international b414 with front end loader,  bush hog, and new tires for $5000. Hmmm.......

Here you can see the old pipes that were welded directly to the car axle. They actuall grip the arms so it lifts off the ground without the top link. I think I'll cut the pipes off and add a top link mount eventually. I will put a brace on the angle uprights as well even though they are crazy rigid and strong as is. It's a heavy duty mower.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Re: 17 acres to mow...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
I forgot to add that it's hard to keep 17 acres. Always something to work on. I still need to remove the horse fencing and pull the poles. I'm trying to get all of this land mowed and the crappy saplings cut down before they become trees.

I have a neighbor that does excavation and advertises land clearing and pond building. I hope I can get everything mowed so he can dig a good deep pond. Going to hope he will take the dirt as partial payment. It'd be nice if he'd just rent me the excavator for a day!!

I looked up a new injector pump for the 2010. $2500. I'm still hoping it's just a timing issue that is causing the lack of power.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:19:50 PM »
XJ, is that B414 a diesel or a gasser?  3-banger or 4?   They are indeed an INTERNATIONAL tractor. :) I think the first ones were made in England and I believe later ones were manufactured by Mahindra in India.....both good machines from what I've heard.  The diesels can be a bit hard to start and tend to produce a lot of smoke, but still a decent machine.  Parts don't seem to be a problem to find, but that was some time back, too.....you may want to check on that. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »
Pretty ingenuous way to fix that brush hog.  Looks like it weighs a bit more than it did originally. 

The brush hog I have is a 6' Tractor Supply model and we use it with a Oliver 550 gas with no front end loader on it.  The Oliver is about 50 hp and has its hands full with the 6' hog.  I am looking to get a 5' model or catch a sickle bar at auction for a decent price. 

Looking at a new tractor as well but not finding much around $5000 that won't be as much to fix as just buying a newer one.  There is a new dealer selling LS tractors and his price are good but I am afraid you might take a real beating on resale.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:30:02 AM »
I would love to have enough acreage so I could shoot off the back porch and piss off the front porch and nobody would notice.  But then there is the maintenance on the land, taxes, and all the other problems.  I have a very small plot of land, most of which is covered by my home.  I can mow the lawn and trim it in less than an hour.  Maybe I should count my blessings.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
There are perks to owning land and there are quirks.  The older you get the less important the perks are and the quirks can get overbearing at times.  Weeds, fence, and out buildings alone consume more time than I care to think about.  Maintenance never stops.  However, the thought of moving into town and having a neighbor I can see is not too appealing at the moment.  You are right about pissing off the deck and shooting at targets.  It is something to treasure.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Online imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »
There are perks to owning land and there are quirks.  The older you get the less important the perks are and the quirks can get overbearing at times.  Weeds, fence, and out buildings alone consume more time than I care to think about.  Maintenance never stops.  However, the thought of moving into town and having a neighbor I can see is not too appealing at the moment.  You are right about pissing off the deck and shooting at targets.  It is something to treasure.

Amen, Brother!  We own another home in a community that has an HOA.  There's no way I'd live there.  We rent it out.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
I lived all my life on the farm and I LOVED it....we still go out there every single day to critique the renter's farming practices ??? and make sure everything is OK, but at the age I am now, I don't miss all the crap that goes with it all even one little bit!   Stan touched on it, but there is SO much more to it than that.....stuff you wouldn't even think about, IF you haven't lived outside of a city.  If we need rain, I just punch the button on the lawn sprinklers and forget about it.......and riding my newest motorcycle suffices nicely as a substitute for my yen to ride in the open air on the deck of a tractor! ;D

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »
Wolfy, It's a four cylinder GAS!! I figure snow moving will be a bit easier with a gasser!

I'm thinking frugally again. I have the 1969 CJ-5 that is a 75 HP gas, 4x4, and has a PTO!! It needs new plug wires and maybe plugs too but it runs decent and always starts right up. I also have an entire fiberglass body for it.

Do I take the time to put it together and save $4000. yeah I think so. I hate payments. Fleetpride will build a shaft that I'm missing that connects the PTO on the transmission to the gearbox in the rear. It's around $350 new and They can build one better and stronger for half that.

Here's the other problem with doing that. The pto only spins when the jeep is under forward motion. Push in the clutch everything stops. I believe, but could be wrong, it doesn't rotate if the transmission is in neutral.

What do I have more of, time or money? it's a balancing act. I'm getting lazier as I get older it's true. Sure would be nice to have a loader around for engine swaps, dirt moving, and snow removal. Hmmmmmm???

I'm leery about the new cut or scut tractors. I did find a nice 30HP TYM with a yanmar diesel and F.E.L. for $25,000. Seems reasonable but is the chassis going to hold up longer than the engine? One thing I like a great deal is they built it with a mechanic in mind. All the filters and routine maintenance items are very easily accessible and there are a ton of grease zerks! oil and grease can keep anything going forever. except belarus they were total junk and crazy cheap. Lots of old ones sitting around, and nobody will touch them.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »

I want so bad to get everything mowed down and get one of those self healing targets that spin and roll around. They come in ball or square and would be a hoot with the 10/22. Neighbors know I'm crazy now and I won with the town against them, so anything goes now.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
Pretty slick.......you do what you gotta do....LOL.
I have a Mahindra ....nice tractor...
I just got older, got tired  of messing with it and just  figured I "deserved" a new tractor.

That mower use a top link?
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
It does yes. I just have to build the top link mount. i have been considering a mahindra. It seems hit and miss on their quality. from real bad constant problems to no problems whatsoever. I think a lot of that is owner operation. Asking it to do more than it can handle. From what I understand the company backs them pretty well.

Carla said no to the b414 and I have to agree. I found a nice john Deere 3020 for $6500 that my F.E.L. will mount to and plenty of HP for the bush hog. I'd have to invest in a snow blower as well.

Going to go out to whites farm supply and get myself in trouble. You can't take it with you, and my to do list would be easier with a good tractor.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
I owned a small property on a lake in eastern TN (Dyersburg).  It had a private boat launch and fishing peer.  Most of the property was covered with hickory and tulip poplar.  And a bit of kudzu. We could only see one neighbor because the trees were thick.  And I could piss off the deck if I wanted to.  But what drove me nuts was the damned moles!  I tried everything I could find including propane.  Nothing worked.  I was glad to move back to the Houston area.  The HOA here is pretty decent now that the builder got out of it.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
.... But what drove me nuts was the damned moles!  I tried everything I could find including propane.  Nothing worked.  ....
Back in WA I tried everything to get the moles under control. Traps, exhaust fumes, fire...nothing worked.  I solved my chronic mole problem by raising 2 hogs.  Their constant stomping around and rooting drove the moles completely out of my property and they took up residence under my neighbor's above-ground swimming pool!  :lol:  :shrug:
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 08:42:51 AM »
So here's what I learned from tractor shopping.

1. Like a house they want money down. 20% actually. Not a big issue as I was borrowing from my 401k.
2. The few older tractors advertised on their website, were "not worthy of even showing". Meaning not enough commission to bother with.
3. The New Holland TN70A 4x4 with a F.E.L. was $21,500 and they were going to install 2 brand new rear tires and still let us have it at $21,500. No warranty. at all. not even 90 day's. NOPE.
4. The Mahindra has the best warranty at 7 years. I could get a 36 HP 4x4 with a front end loader for $21,300 brand new!!!!
5. No hurry. We are going to take $20k out of the 401 and hold on to it until the right tractor comes along. Plus we need furniture now that the floors are done.
6. Empire farm day's are in August and they have killer deals on tractors and an huge auction. We wait....

although I did find this today and sent an e-mail out....
https://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/6181457751.html

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
I was driving by a John Deer on my way back and forth to "The Place".....
All summer was seeing the Mahindra out front with a "On Sale"......2006

Finally stopped, to take a look...
The onsale tractor was a 35 hp Turbo Diesel ....a 2005.
3 cylinder Mitsubishi more and 4 wheel  hydrostatic drive.
Many mini tractors use this combo.....

So I ask about buying a year old tractor...guy kinda laughed a bit....that really didn't have too much to do with it.
Came with a front end loader (you will really, really what one of those.).....
After dealing awhile we settled on a price with a 6 ft brush hog....and a back blade....delivered. ...100 miles.

0% financing...so I took it (kept my cash) and paid it off it a couple of years.
Paid 5k less than a JD of a comparable model    ......and the JD are made across the road for the Mahindra's...as share 60% of the parts.
Small JD tractors ar not made in USA.
3rd  best decision I ever made....
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »
I appreciate the info. This JD 1050 has a 3 cylinder turbo charged Yanmar. i was looking to spend $20k ish. the guy wants$11,000 and I think I have to agree. It's been kept inside always so the tires aren't dry rotted at all. It has 1600 hrs on it.

Here are the specs on this tractor.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/1/111-john-deere-1050-dimensions.html

Still not sure I'll end up with it yet, I'm not going to rush into anything. I like a 7 year warranty on the new Mahindra. A lot of controversy on their value at www.mytractorforums.com

I think part of the problems a lot of the people are having, are because they bought a tractor too small and over worked it. Any piece of equipment is only as good as it was designed for. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »
You said a mouthful there! :hail: :thumbsup: