Author Topic: Greasing Hack  (Read 229 times)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Greasing Hack
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:06:59 AM »
I don't know how many folks actually even have anything to grease anymore, but those of us with outdoor equipment do or at least probably should.  Greasing zerks can be a pain in the butt because well. grease is greasy. and the slim tip often allows my hand to slip which sometimes makes it hard to get the end of my grease gun on and off the zerk. Then when I think it's locked on the zerk I find after a pump or two it's not and I'm just dumping grease around it.  There's all kinds of grease guns out there now; electric, compressed air, foot pump, etc.  And there are things to make it easier to get the grease gun tip to stay attached to the zerk like the Lock N Lube, but instead of paying $30 for a Lock N Lube tip, I decided to try this little hack I saw on a tractor forum the other day.  It's just a washer between the tip and the hose of the grease gun.  It gives me something to push the tip on and pull it off easily.  Works well for me and I wish I could say I thought of this little hack all on my own, but I ain't that smart.  Maybe it'll work for you.

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Greasing Hack
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
Thanks!  I'm sitting here looking at a brand new grease gun that I've been procrastinating using because it always turns into a mess.  That new trailer I put together may remain fairly clean now when I grease the bearings.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:35:54 PM »
I bought an expensive grease gun. aluminum and quick bleed. Always pumps gets the tube emptied out. I'll be adding a washer for sure.

I bought the Husqvarna lawnmower because it had way more grease zerks than the Cub Cadet. Now the F.E.L. on the JD 1050 will need greasing quite often. Yup, that trick will make it much nicer. Thanks for sharing.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »
I use a couple of grease guns on the tractor and the skid steer and my ATV which has a couple of zerks on the four wheel drive front shaft.  Thanks for the tip. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 05:21:34 PM »
Great idea.  Thanks for sharing it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »
That IS a great idea! :thumbsup:    The only problem I can think of is getting into a couple of places that I have to grease. :-\    I tend to wear out grease guns because I hate changing worn out bearings.  The thing I hate worse are 'greaseless' bearings.....you don't stand a chance of keeping them going forever. >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
The only problem I can think of is getting into a couple of places that I have to grease.

Yeah, I think that's the only caveat with this the way it is, but I think you could overcome that with a 1/8 NPT coupling and nipple about an inch and half long.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.