Author Topic: Day Trip (Winter survival Training)  (Read 1315 times)

Offline jeremyctry

• Mill File+
Day Trip (Winter survival Training)
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:17:21 PM »
I had posted this on a different forum but decided I should be more sociable over here so decided to repost it.
So I got a phone call asking If I could help with the Boy Scouts. As always my answer was yes so got up this morning and drove up into the mountains to teach Winter Survival to Cub Scouts It was a great day, and we couldn't have asked for better weather conditions. The Snow was 8' deep and some of the drifts where at least 12'. For most of the boys this was their first introduction to these skills, so we didn't get to in-depth. We set up 3 stations 1: Snow Shoeing (making and using snow shoes on a 1 hour hike) 2: Snow Caves (building and using) and 3: Igloos (building and using) a little redundant I know but I was brought in as an instructor and supervisor not the planner/coordinater. In addition to this the boys where responsible for fire building/starting and cooking lunch. It was a good day although boys who didn't have wool socks ended up with both of my extra pairs so my feet where wet and cold most of the day we all had a lot of fun.

[/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Day Trip (Winter survival Training)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »
 :thumbsup:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
Hey.....GOOD for you, man!  :thumbsup: :cheers:      I'll bet the boys really ate that up.....it sure looked like they were having a good time, too. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thank you for doing this for them....it is time well spent! :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »
Fantastic! I work with Cub Scouts as a leader and am surprised every week as I learn what those kids are capable of.
They look like they were having a blast.
Good on you for pitching in.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline jeremyctry

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
I get roped into either a supervising adult or instructor roll usually once a month. It's always fun sometimes more than others.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »
Neat. Those kids will remember that day and you. I still look back remembering those days.
Nice matters