Author Topic: Had a great time at the shootout.  (Read 838 times)

Offline sgtmcboom

• Whetstone +
Had a great time at the shootout.
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:24:53 PM »
     I had a great time at the shootout and was able to meet some awesome people. Its great to find such a vast amount of information from people in person. The weather was bad but the company was awesome so that wins anytime. I was able to use hushnel's forge and anvil and learned so much about the blacksmithing process. I was able to turn out a couple of things and I think they were great for my first time.

This was my first attempt to see if I got the basics. So I took round bar hammered it square then drew it out and was able to shape it to make a hook for hanging it off something.

The second is a little skinner knife that I made out of some spring steel from the car hood hinge I did not need anymore. For this I had to uncoil the spring using the forge and anvil and hammer and then I was able to hammer out a shape then make the handle area square and drawn out then was able to vice it and give the whole thing a twist before bending it back inward wrapping it around the horn of the anvil.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
Re: Had a great time at the shootout.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:49:58 PM »
Blacksmithing is on my list so I always enjoy seeing the craft. Bet it was a fun time. Wish I could go!
What a great day to be outside.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:19:21 AM »
Any time you want more practice just pack up the tent and come up for a few days. We'll go out to Steven Foster and use that forge, they have all the tools including hardy tools and the post vice, which is huge in blacksmithing. They also have two anvils so we can both work at the same time and assist each other in splitting the stock and other techniques difficult for one pair of hands to accomplish.

Offline sgtmcboom

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »

Yeah I would love to do some practice blacksmithing on the weekend or help you out at your re enactments if you do any blacksmithing work. I am sure I do not have a costume to match the period but I would love to help.