Author Topic: DUTCH OVEN CAMP RECIPES  (Read 44003 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: DUTCH OVEN CAMP RECIPES
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2014, 10:19:09 PM »
That does look good!  Might be a bit on the hot side or me but you can adjust the amounts of peppers easily. When he took the lid off after the second hour it looked like a real winner.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »
Yeah, I'd have left some of that out myself. :P    For me, the jalapenos seemed a bit 'out of place' in that recipe, too. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2014, 03:39:26 AM »
That's a good looking one pot meal. I enjoy spicy foods, but it seems to me that there are too many heats competing for flavor. Also, I've never heard of or tasted the Campbell's Poblano and Queso Cheese Soup. I'll have to look for that next time I'm at the store. Thanks for sharing Wolfy.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
That's a good looking one pot meal. I enjoy spicy foods, but it seems to me that there are too many heats competing for flavor. Also, I've never heard of or tasted the Campbell's Poblano and Queso Cheese Soup. I'll have to look for that next time I'm at the store. Thanks for sharing Wolfy.

Yep. I would probably leave out the jalapenos, the cayenne powder and substitute more regular sausage for the spicy sausage. That would leave you with the chipotle and poblano flavors.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »

Yep. I would probably leave out the jalapenos, the cayenne powder and substitute more regular sausage for the spicy sausage. That would leave you with the chipotle and poblano flavors.

Now were talkin', great idea.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »
PORK 'N' PEACHES

This sounds a little weird, but TRUST me! :drool:

6 pork chops or two pork tenderloins, sliced & butterflied
1 box 'Stovetop' stuffing
4 tbsp butter
1 1/4 cups hot water
1 (20 oz.) can of sliced peaches
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup minced onion
salt & pepper (to taste)

Combine stuffing mix (w/ seasoning packet) butter, water and juice from canned peaches; spread on bottom of 12" dutch oven.

Season pork chops w/ salt and pepper; Brown pork a little first, for color; Place on top of stuffing mixture.
In a small bowl, mix apricot preserves, Dijon mustard, and onion; spread evenly over pork chops - arrange peach slices on top.
Bake in 12" Dutch oven at 350* F for 1 hour.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:15:01 PM by wolfy »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
PORK 'N' PEACHES

This sounds a little weird, but TRUST me! :drool:

6 pork chops or two pork tenderloins, sliced & butterflied
1 box 'Stovetop' stuffing
4 tbsp butter
1 1/4 cups hot water
1 (20 oz.) can of sliced peaches
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup minced onion
salt & pepper (to taste)

Combine stuffing mix (w/ seasoning packet) butter, water and juice from canned peaches; spread on bottom of 12" dutch oven.

Season pork chops w/ salt and pepper; Brown pork a little first, for color; Place on top of stuffing mixture.
In a small bowl, mix apricot preserves, Dijon mustard, and onion; spread evenly over pork chops - arrange peach slices on top.
Bake in 12" Dutch oven at 350* F for 1 hour.

Hey Craig,  I told you I'd let you know how it worked out with Chicken,  I didn't go with any rub like we discussed,  I butterflied a couple of boneless skinless chicken breast so that I ended up with four good sized fillets,  I seasoned them with seasoned salt and pepper and browned them a little in butter and olive oil then set them aside.
  I mixed up the stuffing mix, butter, hot water and peach juice and layered the bottom of my dutch oven with the stuffing mix and laid the chicken on top,  then I mixed the preserves, mustard, and minced onion and smeared it on the chicken,  then topped it off with the sliced peaches,  then covered it and baked it at 350* for one hour.
  I had a fear that the stuffing was a bit wet,  1-1/4 cup of hot water,  1/2 a stick of melted butter, and about 2/3 cup of peach juice left the mix pretty loose,  when I uncovered the pot it looked pretty soupy,  but after letting it set for a few minutes to rest a bit it seems to have settled a bit.

I will make this again,  it was great,  it was sweet and savory at the same time but not too much on either end,  my wife loved it as well,  so thanks a bunch for sharing,  we will be enjoying it a lot in the future,  next time I'll make it with pork tenderloins,  but next time I'll reduce the cooking time by about 15 minutes, being at close to sea level it may cook faster here than where you are,  the chicken was a bit over cooked,  but still delish.

Thanks again old friend.   :cheers: 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
I'm SO glad to hear that you both enjoyed the basic recipe. :banana:   I've never done it with chicken, but I will, now that you gave it the green light. :hail:

The difference in cooking times may have something to do with the fact that I have never done this dish in the kitchen.....I was just guessing at temperature and time in the recipe. :shrug:     I CAN say that it's a big hit around the campfire outside in the 12" Lodge camp Dutch oven, though!
                                                                              :camp:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »
I'm SO glad to hear that you both enjoyed the basic recipe. :banana:   I've never done it with chicken, but I will, now that you gave it the green light. :hail:

The difference in cooking times may have something to do with the fact that I have never done this dish in the kitchen.....I was just guessing at temperature and time in the recipe. :shrug:     I CAN say that it's a big hit around the campfire outside in the 12" Lodge camp Dutch oven, though!
                                                                              :camp:

Like I said, it was great,  anytime I intend to make something again it's 'cause it was good,  and if you noticed, outside of reducing cooking time a little I didn't suggest any changes,  I followed your recipe to the "T",  usually I end up tweaking a new recipe in some way,  your's is fine just the way it is,  and I wouldn't use a rub on it,  it's good just like it is.    :thumbsup:

Thanks again Bud.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2015, 11:34:49 PM »
I was checking some of these older links tonight and see that the one clear back in post #6 has expired, but it is still available here as a PDF.....

http://www.macscouter.com/cooking/geezercookbook.asp

It's worth saving as we leaders used it a lot to feed ourselves......we like to eat well. ;D

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »
Thanks Geezer...  ;)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2015, 12:40:38 AM »
Durned whippersnappers! >:(

Offline zammer

• Water Stone

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »
 :thumbsup: :tent:

I decided to do the update edit to this thread because I see a lot of our 'guests' tuned into it when perusing the online guest list.  With over 15,000 hits to date, it must be something people are searching for when they come here to B&B to check us out.....updating the link just seemed like the thing to do, if they are seeking information.  Maybe I'll contact one of the forum big shots to see about updating the link in post #6, too. :hail:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:44:25 AM by wolfy »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »
You mean like this?  8)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
You mean like this?  8)
ZACKLY!  :banana:   Thanks, PW! :cheers:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2015, 07:39:11 AM »
I've gone through several DO cookbooks and the links here trying to find a specific DO recipe for Mac and cheese in a 10 or 12.  I found several of course, but they all "enhance" the mac and cheese with stuff I don't want.  I'ld like a coupla cheeses in it.  I like it crispy on top.  Rich.  No chilis, hamburger, East Yuhoopistan Boo Boo Wah Wah spice... you get the picture.

I'ld like to be able to throw dry mac noodles in and let them cook in the DO like some lasagna people do.  One less pot.

Anybody?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »
I've gone through several DO cookbooks and the links here trying to find a specific DO recipe for Mac and cheese in a 10 or 12.  I found several of course, but they all "enhance" the mac and cheese with stuff I don't want.  I'ld like a coupla cheeses in it.  I like it crispy on top.  Rich.  No chilis, hamburger, East Yuhoopistan Boo Boo Wah Wah spice... you get the picture.

I'ld like to be able to throw dry mac noodles in and let them cook in the DO like some lasagna people do.  One less pot.

Anybody?

Sounds like you already found your recipe max...lol

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2015, 08:08:24 AM »
You're probably right.  LOL. I just need a few practice runs to get coal number and cooking time down.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2015, 08:13:43 AM »
You're probably right.  LOL. I just need a few practice runs to get coal number and cooking time down.

Now I see why you were askin, I didn't even think about the coals etc. Still, I don't see nothing wrong with a few practice runs of mac & cheese  8)  If I come across something that fits the bill I'll send it along

Here's a recipe you may be able to adapt,  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/civil_war_macaroni_and_cheese/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »
That's the way we like mac'n'cheese, too.....but I don't know that we ever used a specific recipe. :-\

We just cook the pasta until it's 'al dente,' add a little butter & milk, a little flour and cook a little more to thicken.  Then add whatever & however much cheese or cheeses you think looks good or can afford. 8)    The last we made was with white cheddar & gorgonzola with extra gorgonzola crumbled over the top toward the end of the baking time.  Delicious! :drool:

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »
I'm a whiz at all kinds of good stuff but my mac & cheese always sux.  :doh:

Creel
Axes Rock!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:22 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I can see this ring of coals on the bottom working quite well. Even if it is a little late in life for me, danggoneit, I'll start writing things down. Somewhere around here I have an oven thermometer, what should I do, how should I use it. For scientific purposes only.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
I think I tried an oven thermometer in my very first camp Dutch oven (regular 12" Lodge) a looong time ago, but I can't remember exactly how I did it.   It seems like I set it on one of those cheap round wire racks that I get at Walmart for roasting chickens, meatloaf, etc. to keep them out of the grease.  My thinking there, was that it would keep it off the bottom of the oven & more in the very center of the chamber for a more accurate reading, but I can't remember the results, either. :shrug:

A tablespoon or so, of flour in a small pan or on piece of foil can be used to pretty accurately indicate oven temperature, too.  The good thing about this method is that you've usually always got some flour around, but may not have (or want) to carry a thermometer around all of the time.  Just preheat the oven for at least 5 minutes (10 is better) and then place the flour in the oven for the test......

After 5 minutes, check the color of the flour:
Very light, delicate brown indicates a 300-350* oven
Golden brown indicates a 350-400* oven
Deep brown indicates a 400-450* oven
Dark chocolate brown indicates 450-500* oven
Black or smoking indicates 500 or above.....about right for casting bullets. :lol:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
NO-ROLL PIE CRUST RECIPE

I was looking for an easier pie crust recipe, for when we're trying to impress guests with a freshly baked pie right out of the Dutch oven, when I found this one.   It seems like a natural progression to try to bake other things like pies and loaf-type sourdough or yeast breads after mastering fruit cobblers, dump-cakes and biscuits, but ease of preparation is still paramount with me if I decide to continue to use a recipe in camp.  This one looks like it has that potential to me.....and you could probably just mix it up right in the bottom of the oven without messing up another bowl, too! :shrug:     Since it is a 'one pie' type of deal, I would think a 10" Dutch oven would be about the perfect size if you intend to bake it directly on the bottom of the oven.  If you have a 12" or larger oven, then baking the pie in a pie pan would probably be the way to go.  Anyway.....

http://feeds.mrfood.com/iframefeed.aspx?Id=71549&mode=print&affiliate=

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »
Here's a pretty good list of tips for outdoor cooking that will make things easier and less of a chore. :stir:

http://www.macscouter.com/cooking/docs/CookHint.pdf

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
I know many Dutch oven cooks prefer the convenience that charcoal briquettes provide.   I sometimes do, too......when it's too hot outside to have to tend a hardwood fire to get a good glowing bed of coals.....it's also easier & faster when I'm cooking with a 'flock' of ovens and I'd rather spend time with our guests or when open fires are either not allowed or dry conditions make them unwise.

I prefer the 'ring' method of briquette placement and don't ever count them, but for various reasons many folks still like to count their briquettes. :shrug:     I found this video of a method that combines both ideas into one.  It makes sense, especially if you are economizing or running low on them and want to avoid waste by starting too many.   Anyway, I hope some of you find it useful!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »
THIS IS THE LATEST PDF VERSION OF THE CAMP-COOK.COM DUTCH OVEN COOKBOOK

644 PAGES & 1200 RECIPES  :drool:

http://www.camp-cook.com/postings/campfire_cooking_v2.pdf

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
I just used one of these recipes yesterday! The Tamale Pie 2 recipe.

We used Famous Daves cornbread mix because that was all that was available and it was good, but it was sweet enough that it didn't really taste like a tamale.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an unsweetened corn muffin mix?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2015, 04:25:58 PM »
We had a friend give us some of this because we mix up our own homemade cornbread....

http://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/flours-and-meals/organic-medium-grind-cornmeal.html

It was good, but I really couldn't see much difference between it and plain ol' Quaker Brand cornmeal.  Yellow or white.....your call. :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2015, 11:34:07 AM »
Another good source for camping recipes from the Boy Scouts of America....

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/boy-scout-recipes.asp

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
This is an old website, full of good DO recipes and general DO-related info that some guy named Byron, who made a business out of cooking in DOs for groups, owned.   It went dead some time back, but like most tattoos, websites don't usually disappear completely.....even deliberately.  Someone found the content and made it available again and I thought you guys might find something of interest in it, too, so here it is......

http://scouts.lamb-thielen.com/data/papadutch.home.comcast.net/dutch-oven-cooking-sitemap.htm

Enjoy! :stir: :cheers:

Offline RedBeard

• Whetstone +
Re: Dutch Oven Camp Recipes
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »
I didn't put this in the recipe section, as it is a PDF file from www.camp-cook.com It's another forum I have hung out on in the past, but just don't have the time anymore.  There are lots of good folks there, but they are more into teardrop trailers, gathering to cook in Dutch ovens, collecting iron, etc.  If you drop by, tell 'em I sent you.

Here's the file of over 1100 recipes............ ..................t hat I swiped >:D

http://www.camp-cook.com/postings/campfire_cooking.pdf

We have used this collection of DUTCH OVEN RECIPES in our Scout troop as kind of a 'standard bearer' for recipes when we're looking for something new for the boys to prepare for their meals.  It was originally collected by a Scoutmaster from and for use by the leaders in preparing Dutch oven meals for themselves in their own own camps and has been added to for years.  There are a lot of great proven and tasy dishes in here, and just like the one in my first post has lots to choose from.......113 pages of goodness 8)

http://www.macscouter.com/cooking/geezercookbook.asp
 :tent:

Thanks a ton wolfy. Both of those are downloaded and going onto my kindle paperwhite that travels with me everywhere.
Keep your head down... Semper Fi

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
OK, here's another great updated source for dishes designed for cooking in Dutch ovens.  It's a good one! :drool:

http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/zips/dutch_oven_dishes_rev_2.pdf

And another good one that keeps disappearing and rising again from the ashes......

http://blogicalthoughts.com/zips/byrons_dutch_oven_recipes.pdf

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »
Here's the updated 4th edition of that BIG PDF Dutch oven cookbook in the OP.....615 Pages and 1369 recipes....

http://blogicalthoughts.com/rimrock/campfire_cooking_4th_edition.pdf

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
I am somewhat dumbfounded by how much time has leaked away since this wonderful recipe resource was posted.  For those of us on the short side of things........Yikes!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
I've posted this method of Dutch oven temperature control before, but I found it in an easily copied PDF format that you can keep with your favorite DO cookbook or chuckbox.  Once you use it, referring to the chart will become unnecessary.  It's FOOLproof.......exa ctly why I've used it for years! :P

http://www.susquehannaironmasters.com/uploads/1/4/1/1/14111788/1351873538.jpg

This method works well with all sizes and brands of briquettes, lump charcoal or campfire coals.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I could not remember the name of the thing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2017, 04:38:06 AM »
Thanks wolfy.  Just in time for the last Kracaneuner Tribe camp.  Good stuff.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I could not remember the name of the thing.
Thanks wolfy.  Just in time for the last Kracaneuner Tribe camp.  Good stuff.

Since I posted this chart yesterday afternoon, I see that it has been viewed 40 times.  I should probably have posted it as a separate thread under FOOLPROOF DUTCH OVEN HEAT CONTROL....and still may, so it's easier to 'search.' I hope those that have been curious enough to look at it take it as gospel....because produces a VERY even heat throughput the oven and it ALWAYS works! :thumbsup:     Most importantly, it eliminates the ridiculous 'coal-counting' ditties, the math involved for specific numbers of coals for each size oven (like the '3-up, 3-down' method) and the VERY involved charts and hard to remember methods of specific numbers of coals for each oven-heat for each size oven.  I posted about this method back in reply #7 in case anyone wants a more complete tutorial on the method and it's origins and brilliant authors. :hail: :hail:

If you are an aspiring Dutch oven cook, I suggest that you copy it and keep it in your 'safe deposit box' or have it tattooed on your left forearm in case the link disappears in the future like so many of them seem to do! >:(

http://www.susquehannaironmasters.com/uploads/1/4/1/1/14111788/1351873538.jpg

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
Thanks Wolfy for the graphic. I'll be using this method this weekend for a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza that I normally cook at home in a 450 Degree oven. I'll use the 2 1/2 rings on the top in a 12" DO to get the desired temp working. I'm sure it will work fine. I've used this method before, and it has NEVER FAILED.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »
Be sure to take a picture or two of the results, Greg......I'm sure everyone would like to see just how well this method works, too. :popcorn:

I recall seeing photos of a batch of cinnamon rolls that you baked at one of the past Krac encampments......th ey we're absolutely PERFECTOMUNDO! :drool:

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Wolfy, below is the Deep Dish Pizza I made in a D.O. this past weekend. I used one ring on the bottom and 2 1/2 rings on the top to obtain a high heat in the 450 degree range. No problem with the oven temp, that worked out great, but my internal oven arrangement was flawed.

As the first time ever cooking a Deep Dish Pizza in a D.O., I thought I'd raise my 10" deep dish pan off the bottom of the oven with a trivet to help circulate the heat around the pizza pan. During the baking process, the top was getting done, but the bottom was not getting the crispness I was looking for. I ended up removing the top coals, and adding a fresh hot ring around the bottom perimeter for the last 10 minutes or so, and that got me the crispy bottom I was looking for and the pizza turned out great. Next time, no trivet and just trust the coals on the bottom to do their job, just like when baking bread or biscuits.

Photo courtesy of Mannlicher

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
I'll confirm that pizza was great, I sure ate my share and then some. Thanks Greg for all the wonderful baking you did for use this weekend.  :thumbsup:
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
Yep.  We sure do enjoy Greg experimenting on us.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
Wolfy, below is the Deep Dish Pizza I made in a D.O. this past weekend. I used one ring on the bottom and 2 1/2 rings on the top to obtain a high heat in the 450 degree range. No problem with the oven temp, that worked out great, but my internal oven arrangement was flawed.

As the first time ever cooking a Deep Dish Pizza in a D.O., I thought I'd raise my 10" deep dish pan off the bottom of the oven with a trivet to help circulate the heat around the pizza pan. During the baking process, the top was getting done, but the bottom was not getting the crispness I was looking for. I ended up removing the top coals, and adding a fresh hot ring around the bottom perimeter for the last 10 minutes or so, and that got me the crispy bottom I was looking for and the pizza turned out great. Next time, no trivet and just trust the coals on the bottom to do their job, just like when baking bread or biscuits.

Photo courtesy of Mannlicher

That pizza looks terrific, Greg! :drool:   The 'ring method' really does make for evenly done baked goods....the proof is in the pudding, as they say, by the perfectly finished pizza you show in that picture! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The problem of a less-than-crispy bottom crust usually occurred when I baked a pizza in a pizza pan instead of directly on the bottom of the oven.  Problem there is, I don't like to do that for a couple of reasons.  Number 1....I don't like cutting pieces of pizza right in the oven....it's not only hard on knives & a nicely seasoned oven bottom, but awkward to serve, too.  Number 2.....I like having the oven vacant for the next pizza in line to be baked.   

HINT: Use a little hook made from a piece of coat hanger wire to hook the edge of the pan so you can get hold of it with a gloved hand to remove from the D.O.

12" pizzas are usually what I bake, but pizza pans designed for 12" pizzas won't fit in a 12" Dutch oven, however most all 12" pizza pans WILL fit perfectly in a standard 14" Lodge.  The biggest problem with using pizza pans in the D.O. is exactly what you ran into......it takes longer to brown & crisp up the bottoms.  The top looks perfect, but the bottom, while 'done,' is not as perfect looking as the top.  There are a couple of ways to remedy that situation.  As you noted, the bottom ring of coals burns down considerably from the 10 minute pre-heat period to the end of the cooking period.   You can get by with that if the pizza is baked directly on the oven floor, but not in a pizza pan....even if it rests directly on the bottom of the oven with no trivet in place.   As the coals diminish to about half size, I just push a few more in under the edge to keep the spacing down to zero and the heat from dropping under the oven.  The mostly-spent old briquettes are mostly ash, anyway.

Another thing we've done (which works, but is not as handy) is to pre-bake the crust for about 5 minutes on the pile of coals that we will eventually arrange into the bottom and top rings.  That gives us a much hotter oven-bottom to start with and it gives the bottom of the crust a head start before the toppings are added.  After the prepared pizza sauce & toppings are added, the normal rings are arranged, the oven's bottom-heat settles down and baking can be resumed for a normal baking time.  I think it's more of a pain in the wahzoo to screw around doing it that way, though. >:(    Pushing a few newly-lit coals under the outside edge halfway through the baking period works just as well and is, by FAR, the easiest way to go. 

You really have NOTHING to complain about, my friend......your baked goods look outstanding!  It took me a loooong time to get stuff coming out of my ovens that looked like that. :P    I hope you can gather a couple more pictures of your biscuits and cinnamon rolls from your camp this last weekend and add them to this thread.  It would demonstrate just how well the 'ring method' works for those of us that use it! :cheers:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
I thought I'd add a real image of that DINWIDDIE RING-METHOD HEAT CHART, so in case the link to it disappears we'll always have a picture of it here to refer to.....

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
     Greg is an outstanding baker no doubt.  I got a few extra biscuits to take home to Kelly and a cinnamon roll.  She loves those homemade rolls.

I have some ideas for this summer's C.I. cooking. I might need to pick up another 8.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »
That pizza looks delish!

Creek
Axes Rock!