Author Topic: How about a mule?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
How about a mule?
« on: December 25, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »
I've never owned a horse, mule, not even a cow or bison.

Haven't done any research into it- that's where you come in.

Purpose: to ride around on out in the country and have someone to look up to, and discuss matters with. How much would it cost for feed and healthcare per year; how much pasture is needed? How does one select a good one? What else to consider?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: How about a mule?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »
A horse and a mule take up about the same space, and feed. With either one, the animal is the cheapest part of the project.
If you want a companion to help carry your kit, eat about a bale of hay per month, and live in a 30' x 30' pen contentedly, get a Llama.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »
LOl, I said ride around the country side. Horses just, don't seem as mule-y as a mule. Which makes me wonder...I know there are many dozens of horse types- so there must be different kinds of mules too, huh?

I tried to contact the "man on a buffalo" apparently he is all stoved up these days and has trouble communicating with his care givers despite all  mod-tech.... just kidding. But buffalo is quite delicious v. Mule burgers(just in case)

If I needed someone to carry muh kit I might go for the bushlore motorcycle or a 4 wheeler... easy to catch and saddle....or  pack goat? I feel no connection spiritually to llamas, and their ilk. :-\

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »
How 'bout a burro? :deadhorse: :shrug:     Much cheaper than a mule, llama or horse and a very traditional pack animal.......I might be able to getchya' a deal at the local burro dealer.  I think he has 6 of 'em left in stock. ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 11:52:12 PM »
Wolf man.

Are you making fun of me b cause it's Christmas?

A burro, donkey might have worked 2K+ yrs back, just not so much for me.
BMW has a free maintenance program, only it ain't free. Surely someone knows how that works out with Mules.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:32:20 AM by Unknown »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 08:25:15 AM »
  :rolleyes::shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
Pound for pound, the burro can carry more weight than a horse, and pretty much a mule, also.
In the mountains of South America, they are the preferred riding animal because of their sure-footedness.
They are not much more trouble than a big dog to keep.
Remember, a mule was just a glimmer in a Jack Ass's eye before it became a mule. :lol:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »
Went to look at a small piece of property today. Not mentioned in the realtors listing, 3 pump jacks on the place that run intermittently. They are electric so probably not real noisy, but who'd want that with no mineral rights, electric cables not buried very deep running all over. Not like the Title is super cheap either, sheesh.

The farm next door was like a mule factory, must have been a dozen, 20(?) some might have been horses or hinneys I didn't look at each animal. Also had some exotic looking cows in another pasture and many, many goats.

The mules looked like I was thinking, more of a ride on design, than a heavy worker type.  Hybrid vigor!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
Well, it's been almost one full year since your inquiry on the mule/horse deal.  :deadhorse:      If you didn't get either one, don't come cryin' to me because our local burro dealer has pulled up stakes and moved on to parts 'UNKNOWN.'  :shrug:   

Sometimes I even crack myself up! :rofl:

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • A sunset is a lovely melody, heard only once
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »
I have no personal experience with anything but horses.  Rode a lot growing up in Virginia, then hazed stock when the rodeos came to town when I lived in Utah, and went for a ride with a friend in northern Nevada -- no particular destination in mind.  That one lasted a couple of weeks -- we rotated four horses: two to ride, one to pack, and one without a load.  Hobbled them every evening to keep them close and easy to round up in the morning.  There were enough coyotes about that the horses seemed to be more comfortable sticking around camp anyway.  I like horses, but they ain't cheap (animal, tack, vet bills, feed, etc).  I suspect mules will run up similar bills for you.

I saw a farm-lady in Tennessee who rode an old cow.  It stopped giving milk, but was sweet and friendly, and had an easy swaying stride that made riding comfortable, if not real fast.  She liked riding it better than a horse (which she also owned).  As I recall, she didn't use a saddle, just some kind of heavy saddle-blanket with cinch and a simple stirrup arrangement to get on and off, and a bit-less hackamore.  It seemed like she didn't give the cow much direction at all, just moved her hand with the reins, and it looked like ESP, much like a cowhand on a well-trained roping horse.  She told me she didn't have money for vet bills, so the cow never got sick.  The logic escaped me, but it seemed to work for her.  She said costs for her cow were a lot cheaper than for a horse.

If you want the smartest animal around, and one of the cleanest (I'm told), get a pig.  Apparently they're as smart as dogs, and easier to train, and get real attached to you.  They'll eat almost anything, and you might be able to throw a saddle on one.  Not sure I'd want to go under it to grab the cinch, but....  And another thing, if you ever got pissed at your pig when out on the trail...well, roast pork, side meat, and bacon...you know?  :shrug:  Just sayin'....   :rolleyes:
6 phases of a project:  (1) baseless enthusiasm; (2) growing uneasiness & fear; (3) over budget & behind schedule; (4) search for the guilty; (5) blaming of the innocent; (6) praise and rewards for the nonparticipants.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »
Ever hear that old saying, "Fits like a saddle on a sow?"   This old boy must have and decided a saddle was just unnecessary baggage.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2581136/Riding-hog-Farmer-rides-pig-market-illness-left-sick-walk.html

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 12:54:42 AM »
Does anyone remember the character whose side-kick rode a longhorn steer?  I'm drawing a blank here, but I can see the saddle broke steer clear as day.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »
Gee that all sounds wonderful guys. Thanks for the resurrection Wolfy. Sadly I must report this has not panned out. New plans are moving in a somewhat  different manner of conveyance.

TBH, a timetable has not been established. Nevertheless I am now looking forward to trekking in the style of 13th c. Norse god, Oku-Thor, as suits my visage.

Merry Christmas.

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »
Does anyone remember the character whose side-kick rode a longhorn steer?  I'm drawing a blank here, but I can see the saddle broke steer clear as day.

Mongo on Blazing Saddles rode a long horn... pass the beans
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »

Mongo rode a Brahma bull, but that's a remarkable feat of rememberin' ya got there, pard.  The more I recall, the long-horn rider was from a comic book series, I believe.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
Hahaha! Found this in my search.  Looks like a longhorn wouldn't be a first choice ride.  The steer appears to just be barely tolerating this, and has a mind of its own.

Offline OffGrid9

• Supporting Member
  • Mill File+
  • A sunset is a lovely melody, heard only once
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »

Check out:

Clear as day, I see a couple riding saddle-broke longhorns.

Not sure which of them is the sidekick  :cheers:

-- nowadays it just don't pay to make snap judgments based only on sex and who's riding behind.   :duel:
6 phases of a project:  (1) baseless enthusiasm; (2) growing uneasiness & fear; (3) over budget & behind schedule; (4) search for the guilty; (5) blaming of the innocent; (6) praise and rewards for the nonparticipants.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »
Unknown

A mule is a good idea, and they come in quite a few different sizes, depending on the size of their parents.  They are sterile, kind of a one way trip. There has been some genetics research in the last decade and there is a possibility that there some day will be a viable mule.

A draw back to mules is that if you get a trained animal you are looking at between 2500 and $5000.00, as with all things a lot of shopping before you buy is a advisable.  Mules are not subject to as many of the equine diseases that horses are.  They tend to be a bit stronger, have harder feet.  They can be a bit of a hand full if the mood takes them, but they with a little bit of attention can be as loyal as dogs, and every bit as protective of "their people"...!

Riding mules are a good choice if you are going into really rough terrain, the tours down into the Grand Canyon are done with mules, they are sure footed and tend to be a little less excitable than horses.

They have a sense of smell that would put a blood hound to shame, their hearing is incredible, just look at the ears.

An acquaintance of mine had a number of mules, one in particular was a bit of a character.  On pack trips he never tied the mule up so it had free run of the camp, he was everyone's buddy, but you had to watch him at meal times he was not a bit bashful about eating off of peoples plates.

Another option, if you are willing to spend the time in training, is to adopt a mustang.  Everything I said about mules in part applies to the mustang.  The caveat here is that there is no such thing as a free horse, or a dog or cat.. Everything requires some upkeep, the trade off is that we get way more back than we put in,  The sense of well being you get for big animal "friends" is priceless.  "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man", there is some debate over who first said that some believe it was Winston Churchill, other credit Will Rogers.  My guess would be Zenaphon a Greek general who lived some 2500 years ago, he wrote extensively about the horse.

Check the horse rescue places sometimes they have mules and they charge a pretty minimal adoption fee.  I have gotten some very nice horses from that source, back when I was in the horse rescue/adoption business.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement. I go slowly into new things. We will see what happens

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement. I go slowly into new things. We will see what happens
"Be sure that you are right, then go ahead."
-Col. David Crockett

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 11:14:53 AM »
I'm trying to find a goat that grows big horns. There's a number of suitable breeds from Caucasus region, even Switzerland. Just can't seem to run one down.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »

Mongo rode a Brahma bull, but that's a remarkable feat of rememberin' ya got there, pard.  The more I recall, the long-horn rider was from a comic book series, I believe.

Mongo only pawn in game of life!
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »
I hope no one thinks the animal in the picture is a long horn it is a Brama

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
unknown

Unless you have a specific reason for the goat, one of the imported sheep are a better fit in the "horn" department.  The Mouflon are pretty common, and I even have some just south of here that have gone feral that escaped from a game farm.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »
Those are great for sure. im not sure what the laws are for "exotics" here. I need to research on that. The existence of game farms and escapees in the environment makes me think - must be regulated

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 07:43:56 AM »
Unknown

You are right on that, there are a great many imported species, both plant and animal that have had disastrous results. One that comes to mind is the starling, not an indigenous bird, and they have turned into a real pest, the Nutria in the South, the problem with feral pigs in a great many places.   Then there is the Kudzu, a lovely climbing plant, that turned into a disaster, the list goes on and on.   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
The Barbary Sheep in Hawaii went feral, and finally became a 'game animal'. Don't know if that is still the case, though.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
I was out for a spin on my motorcycle a few years ago, going down a fairly remote piece of road, I looked up on the ridge above me and standing in the rocks was a Mouflon.  At tthe time I did not know that there were any in OR.  I checked with one of my hunter ed friends and he advised that the area where I was riding was part of a hunting club, and they had released a number of Mouflon for the members to hunt.

Those guys moved around a lot and  and about six months later when I was elk hunting I ran into another nice ram about 50 miles away from where I saw the first one.  They are neat to see out in the wild.